Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

more power in 2.8 GQ ?

9K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  4bdan 
#1 ·
hey guys
i was just wandering what i could do to get more power out of my patrol its only a 2.8 td, 97 GQ with 33'' mtz 3'' lift lwb. and shes a bit sluggish untill turbo kicks in any advice would be helpfull thanks.​

#2 ·
one thing that will help mate is to block your EGR valve
if you haven't already. it will bring your turbo in a couple of
hundred RPM sooner. lot better when did mine

#4 ·
#7 · (Edited)
lost patrol said:
is there any thing else that i can do or is that about it
First question you have to ask yourself is, how much do I want to spend on the truck.

I have a GQ with the RD28T engine and have done allmost everything you can do in order to get more power out of it. Have spent around 65000nkr (equivalent to au$ 13000) on the engine.

Following engine mods:
big GT2871R.86AR bb turbo
12mm plunger from a german made MAN truck. pump is set up to deliver 100cc of fuel, std pump delivers just 45cc!!!!!
new injectors set to 155ats
18psi of boost
3" dump/exhaust
custom plenum chamber( velocity stacks inside)
3" IC pipes
Big FMIC
Powershot LPG injection
Snow Performance Water/meth injection(keeps egt down)
Big kn airfilter/cold air intake
VDO pyro gauge
Exedy xtreme clutch

Have not dynoed it but would guess around 250hp.

It goes really well, have 35" wheels on it and 6" Lovells.

#8 ·
Mate, first thing I would do is get a 2 1/2" straight through exhaust, 3" might be a bit too big for the little 2.8ltr as they do still need a certain amount of back pressure. Then get a snorkel and a K&N air filter to go with it. I have no idea how you block the EGR, but it sounds like a pretty good thing. After that if you want more power, then I would look at a better Turbo and maybe an intercooler set-up?

#9 ·
4bdan said:
then I would look at a better Turbo and maybe an intercooler set-up?
If you get a better turbo and ic set-up you need to do something about the pump also otherwise its money out the window. Stock plunger in the pump is only 9mm. and maximum fuel delivery(55cc per 1000shots) will give you around 145hp, been there done that.

#10 ·
Yeah I realise that , you said it in your previous post, but I highly doubt that he is after the kind of power you are getting and I highly doubt he wants to spend $13,000 to get it. If he get a better exhaust and intake set-up first, then it's not expensive and he will get a result. If he is still not happy, then yeah I suggest if he can afford it, to get a better turbo and an intercooler as plenty of guys here have done it and found quite impressive improvements.
I'm not doubting you when it comes to improving the pump though, it makes sense...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.