RD28 Timing Issue - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GQ/Y60 & Ford Maverick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-05-2007, 08:30 PM

Angry RD28 Timing Issue

I Have a 1996 GQ 2.8 turbo diesel with timing issues.

At 100 000 Kms had the timing belt replaced and when I picked it up it had no power. Took it back to the repairer and he managed to restore most of the power by advancing the fuel pump timing.

At 200 000 Kms had the timing belt replaced by a different repairer, advised him of the history and he said he'd sort it. He couldn't sort it. He advised that he aligned everything to standard and no power. So he advanced the fuel pump timing too.

I have dismantled the front of the motor and checked the timing marks, counted the number of teeth between the timing marks and all looks as per the specs. The fuel pump is obviously advanced as it is at one extreme of it's adjustment/slotted hole.

This is really frustrating as I know something is wrong but everyone seems to think the solution is to mask the problem by advancing the fuel pump timing. Any ideas?

Bone
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2007, 05:09 PM

Did they just rely on lining up the marks?? or did they check what the plunger travel was at the correct timing mark on front pulley and front housing? i.e. the dti should read around 0.64 (that figure is from a C-35 laurel) not sure what the turbo plunger travel is, take it too a proper fuel injection shop and get them to check, or catch a ferry to Auckland and I'll do it for ya cheers
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-08-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Timing

Yes sounds to me like the timing might be out a tooth. I am no mechanic but I know that when they rebuild the fuel pumps on the GU' ZD30's if you put it back together one tooth out they run like crap. Then the pump and timing has to be redone to get it all set properly.
Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification