rd28t - tdc / fuel pump timing - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GQ/Y60 & Ford Maverick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-04-2013, 01:51 PM

Default rd28t - tdc / fuel pump timing

greetings all,

Currently researching a top dead centre ( tdc ) and fuel pump timing issue on my GQ RD28T. I have a gregory's manual and a proper nissan workshop manual for the engine and both only indicate how to locate bottom dead centre (bdc ) and not tdc on the engine for replacing the timing belt. When replacing the timing belt you turn the crankshaft until the bdc timing mark aligns with the appropriate timing mark on the timing case cover and the marks on the fuel pump and camshaft gears align with their appropriate marks. However instructions for fuel pump timing state turning crankshaft to tdc and measuring pump plunger movement. The problem is, this tdc mark does not seem to exist - this appears to be a major oversight. I do understand there are other methods of finding tdc on an engine however omitting the important tdc mark serves to make the issue more complex than is necessary. Or is this a case of just is and deal with it. In addition the nissan manual seemingly causes confusion by instructing you to read plunger movement on a dial indicator when the engine is on number 1 tdc compression stroke and referring to specifications, however upon reading the specifications relating to injection timing it states the following - plunger lift : 0.86 mm +/- 0.05 equivalent to BTDC 8 degrees ( before top dead centre ). As for the gregory's manual there are no instructions for fuel pump timing. If it is BTDC 8 degrees the only way of finding that point without crankshaft timing case marks is using a degree wheel placed in front of the crankshaft and thus complicating the issue further. So there you have it. Is it 0.86 mm BTDC 8 degrees or TDC and how do you locate these points on the crankshaft? Or I am overlooking something obvious. For anyone with experience on the RD28T engine and has confronted a similar issue, your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-04-2013, 07:48 PM

When I replaced my timing belt the fuel pump and cam are easy to line up because the marks are easily visible, the crank line up the v on the balancer with one of the bolts I think it's around 2 o'clock looking at it of you know what I mean..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification