Swivel hub assembly - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GQ/Y60 & Ford Maverick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-05-2006, 06:00 PM

Unhappy Swivel hub assembly

Doing a check under my truck (93 RX 4.2efipetrol) today and noticed some oil leaking out of the Swivel Hub. What am i looking at here, major damage, big dollars, or a seal?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-05-2006, 07:58 PM

Just went through this myself, don't worry not too much of a drama. Most likely yr inner seal has gone, good side pretty cheap to buy, bad side you gotta disasemble pretty much the whole thing to get to it. If u are mechanical it is not a prob, just follow the book. While yr there tho I would do all the seals and bearings. The kit cost me about 250 buks. I would be happy to talk u throuhg it if ya want
Old 25-05-2006, 08:32 PM
SUI GENERIS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMan
Doing a check under my truck (93 RX 4.2efipetrol) today and noticed some oil leaking out of the Swivel Hub. What am i looking at here, major damage, big dollars, or a seal?
Mareeba has quite a few 4x4 workshops that would see you right. Due to the age of your truck i suggest you have a complete hub assembly seal kit fitted, If your truck sees a lot of our northern corrugrated dirt roads,have the workshop check all hub bearings, wheel and kingpin or swivel BGR's. A note here have them put the correct volume of oil in the diff dont just fill until oil runs out of the fill plug.
For a front hub assembly rebuild all new BGR's and seals both sides and labour will approach $1000.00+.
You could buy yourself a manual and have a go yourself save about half, and a full day with grease on your hands.

cheers
Peter
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 26-05-2006, 02:30 PM

Garage

I had a leaking inner axle seal on LH side - Got ARB (Sydney) to put a Nissan seal kit through the front end - $900 all up including cleaning and greasing of wheel bearings, Auto hubs etc

cheers,

David
Old 26-05-2006, 05:59 PM

When you say $250 for kit, do you mean both or just 1 hub? I do have a book(manual) but i don't think i have the tools to do the job. And also the other side looks good so should i really need to do it?
Thanks for you replies guys
Old 26-05-2006, 09:18 PM

Had the same problem recently crazyman. Inner axle seal cost $7 from bearing services.They also have wheel bearings and seals for a reasonable price. The only hard part to the job is the large bearing nuts if you don't have the tool, and you need a slide hammer or seal remover to pull the seal out. Circlip pliers are needed to remove the spindle housing. I made my own bearing nut tool by welding two pieces of 25mm square rhs tube together and then welded flat steel tines sticking out the front of them (sort of looks like a tuning fork) and push that onto the nuts and grip it with a g-clamp so as they stay on the nut. I use the clamp as my leverage to turn the nuts. They don't have to be done up too tight when re-assembling as they only pre-load the bearing. I found the oil leaking out had washed the lithium grease from the swivel joint on the axle so it had to be washed out and regreased with the proper grease. It's all a dirty bugger of a job but not too hard if you have some mechanical knowledge. Hope that helps and isn't too confusing.
Stevo
Old 27-05-2006, 04:52 AM

it was 250 all up for both sides, that was through repco, who i usually stay away from but i got it at trade through my man (mechanic) who also gave me handy hints. If one side is gone i would do both anyway to save future hassles, its more than likely your scrapers need replacing anyway. the tools are easily obtainable, you need a puller of some sort to release the tierod ends, not expensive, for the bearing nut u just buy a cheap tube spanner will do the job beautifully and that's about all. To remove the inner seal just hit it inwards with a screwdriver till it bends and then pull it out with a pair of plyers. Like i say if one is gone then it's more than likely that everything else is wearing and since u have to remove everything to get to the inner seal u may as well do the lot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification