Tachometer signal - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GQ/Y60 & Ford Maverick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-12-2004, 03:47 PM

Default Tachometer signal

My tachometer sometimes works erratically during off-roading or after some heavy mud. I think the tach losses its signal or something comes loose. Where is the tach pick-up or sensor located?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-12-2004, 09:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to Bartso

what type of engine is it

White patrol club member #9

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 23-12-2004, 10:00 AM

GQ LWB TD42 5sp
Old 24-12-2004, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to BIG GQ

The sender is located at the front of the engine up the top. When Tom (GQ) sees this thread he will post a picture for you. I can't find the picture ATM.

***Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Perrformance***

Most sports require only one ball - real sports require two.
Old 24-12-2004, 08:46 PM

Thanks... Will await that pic. By the way, my GQ is a 96 model.
Old 20-03-2005, 12:29 PM

John,

I had the same problem why my tacho. Sometimes it would work and other times it wouldn't. This was just during normal driving. When it did work it was totally off and at some points it wound itself all the way over with the needle sitting off the scale. I would have to take the cover off and move the needle back to the correct side of the dial. After reading this post about a month ago and getting myself a tech book for patrol 4.2TD engine I found the sender unit and took it out.....There didn't seem to be anything obviously wrong with it and I was told that generally this is not where the fault would be. If you are getting a signal (i.e. the dial is moving, even if sparatically) then the send should be ok......so I then took out the tacho from the dash and cleaned ok the old flux and did a connectivity test on all the solder points. I was told that even a hair line short or a dry solder joint could stuff the operation of the tacho...after many (taking out and putting in) attempts to find the problem I finally decided to just resolder all the joints. It has worked ever since without a beat.....

I hope this helps......

Matt.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:28 AM

Send a message via MSN to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattY-88
John,

I had the same problem why my tacho. Sometimes it would work and other times it wouldn't. This was just during normal driving. When it did work it was totally off and at some points it wound itself all the way over with the needle sitting off the scale. I would have to take the cover off and move the needle back to the correct side of the dial. After reading this post about a month ago and getting myself a tech book for patrol 4.2TD engine I found the sender unit and took it out.....There didn't seem to be anything obviously wrong with it and I was told that generally this is not where the fault would be. If you are getting a signal (i.e. the dial is moving, even if sparatically) then the send should be ok......so I then took out the tacho from the dash and cleaned ok the old flux and did a connectivity test on all the solder points. I was told that even a hair line short or a dry solder joint could stuff the operation of the tacho...after many (taking out and putting in) attempts to find the problem I finally decided to just resolder all the joints. It has worked ever since without a beat.....

I hope this helps......

Matt.
I have this same issue, its a pain the ass! mine randomly works.. sits on 0 most of the time, then sometimes jumps around, then sometimes goes past 6k and sits on the other side..

will it be easier to replace the tacho? or is it actually in the dash unit itself?
Old 04-04-2005, 05:35 PM

Robbie,

The tacho signal generator should be ok if you are getting movement on the dash guage. It is very easy to take out the dash guage, I think there are about 5-6 screws from memory to take the cover off and then 4 more to take out the dash unit itself. You will have to unplug the wiring into the back of the dash to take it out completely but don't worry all the plugs are unique so you can't get them mixed up when re-installing the dash.

Once you have the dash out, you will need to unclip the front clear cover. there are clips at the top and bottom. carefully work the top ones out and then the bottom ones. After you get a few done it will basically pop out itself (mine did).

There are four screws that hold the tacho in place, they are also connected to the signals from the back of the dash. Undo these and then gently pull out the tacho guage. Be gentle, don't break the guage face.

Once the tacho is out look at the condition of the PCB (the circuit board) and the soldering etc. You could first clean up the board using a flux remover and a small plastic brush. Then go around all the joints and check connectivity between them.

I resoldered the major joints first but that didn't work, so I had to take it out again and then I just resoldered the lot of them. I was either lucky or I fixed the problem because the tacho hasn't stopped since.

Before the fix I also rang some wreckers but then I remembered that it was a safari and the electricals are 24VDC so you can't just replace with a normal TD42 tacho you have to source a Safari tacho which is a bit more of a pain. Hopefully the solder fix works for you.

Cheers

Matt.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:45 PM

matt, thanks for the reply.. first of all, where are you located?

apparantly the safari units run the same GQ dash - 5.6V guages.. this is what I have been told by a wrecker who gets in safaris.

if you are in melb, you could come around and help me - I will supply the bourbon
Old 05-04-2005, 09:07 AM

No worries...hope that it all goes well for you. Sadly I am in Brisbane area......but otherwise I would give you a hand....

With the tacho from the wrecker be careful, because when I pulled mine apart and looked at the back of the dash it has written 24V as an input into the guage. I aslo tested this supply to see if the tacho was being powered up. It wasn't anywhere near 5.6VDV. check out what your dash is running before you go to the wrecker.....just to be on the safe side.

Cheers,

Matt.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:59 PM

cheers.. will get you that dc dc part number asap
Old 06-04-2005, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the info, guys...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification