TB 42 tappet tolerances - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GQ/Y60 & Ford Maverick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2005, 08:02 AM

Default TB 42 tappet tolerances

I'm guessing that carby TB42s have adjustable tappets.

What are the clearances for exhaust and inlet (hot) ?

Thanks in advance,
Duncan.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2005, 07:32 PM

Send a message via MSN to marin

from the manual -

Adjusting Intake and Exhaust Valve Clearance
Adjustment should be made while engine is warm but not running

1. Set No. 1 cylinder at top dead centre on its compression stroke, and adjust valve clearances 1,2,3,6,7,10
2. Set No. 6 cylinder at top dead centre on its compression stroke, and adjust valve clearances 4,5,8,9,11,12

Valve clearance
Intake 1,3,5,7,9,11 - 0.38mm (0.015 in)
Exhaust 2,4,6,8,10,12 - 0.38mm (0.015 in)

Adjusting screw lock nuts - 16 - 22 Nm (1.6 - 2.2 kg/m, 12 - 16 ft/lb)

marin

edit - starting from front, they are 1 to 12.

also, there is an order for tightening the rocker cover, but i can't show it, no scanner sorry
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marin For This Useful Post:
Dybo (19-07-2014), PJDM1980 (20-01-2014)
Old 08-03-2005, 05:21 AM
Anything Goes

Send a message via MSN to offrdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubai bedu
I hope this helps, If you need more info send me a PM i will send you

Nissan Patrol Valve Clearance Settings Y60 Y61 Help Out.

After every 25,000 KMH itís best to have the valve settings adjusted. However Nissan are not to forth coming with info on engine setup so to save time and money paying Nissan to do an easy job I thought I would post it here.

The fire order for the Patrol is 1-3-5-2-4-6 each piston has 2 valves per cylinder consisting of inlet and outlet. No 1 Cylinder is at the front of bonnet and number six is at the firewall. You can adjust the valve clearance in tow ways ether doing it hot or cold. I always find that its best to do it hot (running temp normal driving).

Before doing any of this make sure the engine bay is clean and dust free.
Remove the rocker cover and locate the first two rockers, these are above cylinder 1. Each cylinder has 2 rockers per cylinder, 1,2-3,4-5,6-7,8-9,10-11,12 (see my diagram).

www.me4x4.info/showphoto.asp?ID=2227

Once you have located the first rockers we need to make sure that cylinder 1 is at 0 Dec. To do this rotate the engine using a 27 mm spanner on the flywheel turning slowly until the red mark on the fly wheel roughly is about 11am. Look down from the radiator and you see a small notch on timing belt cover. The red mark on the flywheel and notch on time belt cover need to be inline. Once you have done this check the first cylinder No1 and move the rockers 1,2 3 only they should be lose while rockers 4,5 will be tight as a nats ass. This will clearly tell us that cylinder 1 is now at 0 dec. Using a high quality spanner 12mm loosen of the bolt slight on 1,2 rockers. With a feeler gauge at .35mm slide the gauge under the rocker and the tappet spring stem. Using a flat-headed screwdriver turn the adjustment clock wise to the correct setting of .35. Slide the gauge side to side you should feel a rough abrasion feeling between the spring stem and the rocker. Once you have obtained this hold the screwdriver and nip up the locking bolt on the rocker cover. Do the same for each rock in this order. There are 12 rockers from front to the rear you should adjust them in this order only. 1,2,3,6,7 and 10. Once this is done rotate the engine 360 dec clockwise again using the same method as above. This time you will adjust rockers 4,5,8,9,11 and 12. Your valve clearance is now set. Replace rocker cover and fix a new gasket making sure you put a small amount of oil on the new gasket before locking screwing it down.

Is always best to change the oil before you do the clearance as the film of oil between the rocker and the spring stem will make a small difference.

The following setting for the patrol is as follows.

Nissan Patrol Engine 4.2 Petrol ( .40 setting )
Nissan Patrol Engine 4.5 (.35 setting)
Nissan Patrol Engine 4.5I (.35 to .38 ) (cold setting .25 not advisable in U.A.
This is what i was sent when i did mine worked a treet

Which way did they go fred

MMM "Mud Means Money"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-03-2005, 07:51 AM

Thanks fellas. I'll get to it this evening. I better buy a manual as well.

Duncan.

ps. That firing order seems different. What happened to 153624 ? or am I still stuck in the early falcon days ? (true - I've just rebuilt an xk ute) !!
Old 08-03-2005, 05:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to marin

interesting the difference in the tappet adjustment, would .02 make much of a difference? And would it be for the better or worse?

marin
Old 09-03-2005, 07:53 AM

Interesting !!

I set the clearances at 0.4mm and it was rattlier than an MQ diesel (sorry MQ ppl). I then adjusted them to 0.2mm and it was quiet - probably like it left the showroom. I checked this many times to make sure that no rocker arms were riding on the valves.

I come from the VW movement - if you can hear the tappets - you're not going to burn valves. But, I can't tolerate unnecessary rattle.

Also, my engine runs on LPG and has so for about 10 years. The inside of the rocker cover and all of the valve train were like new - NEW after 16 years and 260K. With LPG - no carbon tainting of the oil.

I also noted during this exercise that these antiquated engines were designed and built with strength in mind - double head bolts - 15 screws for the rocker cover !! etc. I can only imagine how strong the bottom end is. With this strength and clean internals - I'd say that 400K is possible.

Duncan.

PS. I'll check the tappets in the next week or two. Hopefully the 0.2mm gap holds.
Old 18-10-2008, 01:25 PM

I run mine with the rocker cover off at idle once they are adjusted let it get hot and go along with the feeler gauge in the gap until i find the noisiest one then readjust it and work my way through takes some time but it will eliminate the noise i found it works best when they are real hot as as it cools down a little they go out enough to get noisy
Old 19-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

I did mine yesterday to .382mm and they are fine,reset the points and richened up the carb.

Like a new car now and so much nicer to drive.
Old 19-10-2008, 12:02 PM

[QUOTE=Duncan]Interesting !!

I also noted during this exercise that these antiquated engines were designed and built with strength in mind - double head bolts - 15 screws for the rocker cover !! etc. I can only imagine how strong the bottom end is. With this strength and clean internals - I'd say that 400K is possible.

Duncan.

400K & the rest, mine has done 550,000km & still going strong with no signs of wearing out as yet. The old girl has a drinking problem but that is normal.
Old 19-10-2008, 06:14 PM

Default 400k

my tb42 has 418000 km still going strong on lpg
Old 20-10-2008, 01:48 PM

Send a message via MSN to MAVRK-4

How can I tell if this needs to be done to mine? Noise?

My 92 Mav has a problem spitting black liquid out the exhaust, but I'm not sure what exactly it is... it's more than just condensation.
Old 20-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in

You could have a load of water sitting in the exhaust pipe. A little trick you can do is drill a 3mm hole at the lowest point in the exhaust system (usually the main silencer) and leave it. This will stop the accumulation of water and also help increase the life of the exhaust system (particularly on a petrol). Just stick a self tapper in the hole before you take it for its test though !

1989 Y60 SWB TD42 powered
SWB Patrol Club Member #12
Old 24-10-2008, 11:00 PM

High klm TB42's flog out camshafts so if you find they are noisy again in a month, that'll be the problem, I have a custom grind I fit that is good for about 20% more power and torque across the board. I have also found that on LPG and especially turbo LPG it is worth setting the exhaust clearance at 0.04 due to the extra valve growth that occurs due to the higher combustion temps.

Joel
Old 29-10-2009, 12:21 PM

Garage

Hey guys, this is all very interesting, but I am not quite clear on where I should be??

I have a TB42 on LPG/Petrol. My mate and I did the valve settings to 0.35mm and now it burps and farts, miss fires and backfires when it hits the 1800/2200 revs mark. We have changed the coil, plugs, leads, points etc but after reading this I am wondering if we have set the valves wrong? I read somewhere else that they should be set at .42mm if running of gas?? Any ideas?

Cheers!
Old 29-12-2010, 01:37 PM

Garage

Sorry for thread digging but this worked awesome, Should be stickied.
Old 29-12-2010, 06:17 PM

Garage

I did mine quite a while ago.
Although .35 i though was abit much,
I did it a .23 from memory much better.

Old 29-12-2010, 06:26 PM

Garage

How'd you go with the .23 no troubles with it? i thought .35 was atad much too.
Old 29-12-2010, 06:36 PM

Garage

I have a bigger carb on mine so its got abit more fuel then normal.
Runs alot better and more quiet.. Will do burnouts with 35's.
I told the boss the recommended space and he laughed.

Old 29-12-2010, 07:06 PM

Garage

Haha love it! Mine struggles to skid on dirt with 28 highways on it :/
Old 11-03-2011, 05:45 PM

just gone from approx 1.0mm gap to 0.3mm gap and has made a big difference. But now i can hear what sounds sort of like rod bearing clatter, or do tb42 run timing gears and they are rattly? Its a quiet rumble almost like light pinging (could be) under no load. What else could i be hearing?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification