TD42 fuel pressure problem - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GQ/Y60 & Ford Maverick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-07-2011, 09:06 AM

Send a message via MSN to BrentE
Default TD42 fuel pressure problem

G'day i've been having trouble with fuel pressure, every morning i need to pump primer about 20 times to get pressure back to fuel pump. It seems it needs to be a certain amount of time since when i go home after work at 4:30 it starts after a few cranks. I've replaced primer top and most of the hoses near fuel pump that looked doggy and still has problem.

There are no fuel leaks, is there anything ontop of fuel tank that would cause this problem? Other then this my only other guess is fuel pump at fault, but it drives fine.

Any ideas would be great cheers brent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-07-2011, 09:54 AM
The nutty professor

Garage

if you fit an electric fuel pump near the tank it will pressurize the fuel line and show up any leaks
Old 29-07-2011, 11:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to mikegq

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITS A FORD NOT A NISSAN View Post
if you fit an electric fuel pump near the tank it will pressurize the fuel line and show up any leaks
and it will also fix ur problem until u find a leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
I am 99.9% positive women and gay blokes look at bananas and cucumbers in sexual ways.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-07-2011, 01:34 PM

Sweet do i just fit the fuel pump too the main fuel line into primer on fuel tank? Fitting this wont harm the fuel pump will it?
Old 29-07-2011, 02:43 PM
The nutty professor

Garage

yep just hook it up to the main fuel line between the tank and fuel primer, the pump doesnt need to be high pressure , 8psi is enough , just have good flow, some use holley red pumps, others use carter pumps

it wont hurt the injector pump
Old 29-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in

Replace the fuel filter and very carefully check the seals top and bottom. Then check all hoses to from the filter head and IP, carefully inspecting the ends (bend them over and try rotating), there may be more than one iffy hose. Fitting an electric lift pump wont fix the leak, it'll still need sorting (but it will help you find it!). I find replacing all hoses and fitting new clips works wonders on ageing diesels.

1989 Y60 SWB TD42 powered
SWB Patrol Club Member #12
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 29-07-2011, 08:24 PM

Garage

I have done the same as Brent and I'm still having problems too. What about simply sending a small amount of compressed air through the fuel line from the tank end, would that work as well?
Old 29-07-2011, 08:57 PM

Its a pain priming it every morning isnt it lol, buying all new hoses might cost as much as lift pump thats all im considering. But yes it won't fix the problem and i'd wana do it right
Old 29-07-2011, 09:21 PM

I had a problem with mine having an air leak. It was the O-ring on the fuel filter bleeder. The bleeder is a nylon screw.The O-ring had perished, once replaced all was good.
Fuel filter assembly.jpg

4.2litre Diesel Club #84, ST Club #153
90 GQ TD 4.2 LWB 2" lift, Safari snorkel, ARB winch bar, GME UHF & Codan HF radio's, dual batteries, Firestone air bags, overhead console & dashpod.
Old 30-07-2011, 05:46 AM
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in

New hoses need not cost a lot, I'm only talking about the flexibles, the solids should be good (but check them out at the rear they can perish there if the mud is not washed off regularly). Your local tractor or HGV parts shop will stock diesel hose on the reel. Yes buying each from Nissan would cost a small fortune LOL !

1989 Y60 SWB TD42 powered
SWB Patrol Club Member #12
Old 30-07-2011, 10:10 AM

My fuel filter is aftermarket style with bowl on bottom it does have a few o-rings but i checked them out they seemed fine. When i first put a new primer pump on it held pressure for a few days then went to everyday needing to pump.
Old 30-07-2011, 12:57 PM

check the small hose on the injector return line that goes back to the fuel pump its up under the manifold its about 6-8mm round. that has fixed a few peoples problems including mine before
cheers
Roddo
Old 30-07-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddo View Post
check the small hose on the injector return line that goes back to the fuel pump its up under the manifold its about 6-8mm round. that has fixed a few peoples problems including mine before
cheers
Roddo
Cheers mate i think i missed that hose, it seemed hard to get to from what i remember
Old 31-07-2011, 09:40 PM

yeah it is akward to get off the injector return.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:02 PM

Your a legend roddo, it was the fuel injection hose well its held pressure for 2 days after replacing and had small tear in hose.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:47 PM

Yep as above that was my leak too
Old 03-08-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentE View Post
Your a legend roddo, it was the fuel injection hose well its held pressure for 2 days after replacing and had small tear in hose.
no probs mate glad to help.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to mikegq

just wondering how that return line from the spill rail has anything to do with the supply line draining back/out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
I am 99.9% positive women and gay blokes look at bananas and cucumbers in sexual ways.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification