transmission sliping - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GQ/Y60 & Ford Maverick

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 02:01 PM

Default transmission sliping

Good day to all from canada, I've owned my y60 for over a year now and mine is the only one I've ever seen. i'v been off roading in deep heavy snow, in low range, mostly high rpm in 1st gear. After a big hill climb i took it out on the road to clean out the snow and ice, and 3rd gear started slipping in low range at higher rpm, doesn't seem to do it in high range(maybe not enough torque high range?)Its a automatic with 160,000 on it, is my transmission cooked?? what can i do? also had issues with braking after heavy snow, the brake pedal was hard but almost no stopping, thawed it over night and worked fine it was just iced up, is there any way combat this??

Thanx
Dean
91 td safari with 33's
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2017, 09:49 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

I'm guessing driving in heavy snow conditions( a GQ Patrol) is fairly rare here in Australia(I'm guessing). Patrols are known as good "mudsters" and "sandsters" in Autralia afaik.
I'm guessing yours is a TB42.
I know next to nothing about autos, but from what I've heard so far and your description, the auto gearbox appears to be on its way, but not quite cooked yet.
I would get it serviced/repaired asap, and avoid any serious off roading with it till then.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:
beechbound (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 12:55 AM

Yep same as mine, totally lost third gear. I had my box rebuilt with aftermarket valve body. Snow driving is similar to sand driving. I have driven both. An aftermarket valve body kit will do wonders for your auto and it will make it bullet proof also.
Lunacy Unanimous Club #6,(straight jacket supplied)
Rain, Hail, Sleet or Snow-We Go
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to albundy For This Useful Post:
beechbound (06-01-2017), dom14 (06-01-2017)

Old 06-01-2017, 09:59 AM

Took the truck out today with the transmission cold and had no slipping in third gear at all, I figure the transmission was hot,and the fluid was a little low, Planning flushin the system and switching to synthic fluid transmission. Possible trans cooler and temp gauge. I like the idea of the aftermarket valve body but need to do more research, Should I be worried about the transmission, or will it possibly last for ages, after servicing? Any advice would be appreciated
Old 06-01-2017, 07:35 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechbound View Post
Took the truck out today with the transmission cold and had no slipping in third gear at all, I figure the transmission was hot,and the fluid was a little low, Planning flushin the system and switching to synthic fluid transmission. Possible trans cooler and temp gauge. I like the idea of the aftermarket valve body but need to do more research, Should I be worried about the transmission, or will it possibly last for ages, after servicing? Any advice would be appreciated
Getting it serviced is a good idea, even though it doesn't slip when cold.
Third gear slipping when hot is a good indication of overheated oil not being able to handle the friction and hydraulics inside, if not for clutch & valve issues.
Tranny cooler & temp gauge is damn good idea 'cos when the auto tranny oil get overheated it turns into crap in no time & loose a good percentage of it's friction & hydraulic properties.
Doing those things and try to drive it hard again on sand/snow might tell you whether the service/oil flush/synth oil have fixed the problem or not. And the temp gauge can warn you about the oil overheating while the cooler can keep the oil cool.

Either way, I wouldn't take it on any treks until the issue gets sorted.
The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:
beechbound (09-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 08:34 PM

This might be of interest.

RE4R03A transmission rebuild guide
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACMPatrol For This Useful Post:
beechbound (09-01-2017), dom14 (07-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 11:48 PM

It may give you a little more time but the damage has been done. The bands will be all burnt from the fluid not being able to do its work. I have also set it up with a tranny cooler and temp guage. I have mine temp sender unit located after the tranny cooler before it goes back into the auto. That way I know what temp the fluid is going back into the bax at. I only run synthetic fluid in my tranny now also. You will be totally rebuilding that tranny sooner then later.
Lunacy Unanimous Club #6,(straight jacket supplied)
Rain, Hail, Sleet or Snow-We Go
The Following User Says Thank You to albundy For This Useful Post:
beechbound (09-01-2017)