3.0 litre to 4.2 conversion - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GU/GR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-10-2009, 12:09 AM

Default 3.0 litre to 4.2 conversion

Ok - found a cheap 3 litre 2000 model GU with rooted motor, I have a 4.2 turbo diesel GQ sitting in my garage and was wondering if anyone has done the conversion of swapping out the 3 litre for the 4.2litre at all? Can you use the original Auto still or do the transmissions have to be swapped also? (not fussed either way).

Sorry if this is a dumb question - I been playing with MQ/MK's for last 5 years so know very little about the GU.

Any help would be awesome.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-10-2009, 01:17 AM

Try this link

Advice 3.0 to 4.2 Conversion

2" Lift , 43mm Foam Cells, KM2's, 80l Waeco, Safari snorkel, Blocked EGR, VDO Boost/ Pyro Gauge, 2.5" Freelflow Dump, DAWES/ Needle Valve, Provent 200 Oil catch can, Converted Hubs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 27-10-2009, 03:49 AM
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in

If you've got the bits you need to do some comparing and measuring.

The problem you've got is that you are fitting GQ bits into a GU. Many changes have happened over the years so you need to see what will physically fit and what wont. Endless, seemingly minor things can turn out to be a serious problem.

The 3.0 GUand 4.2 GQ have different boxes, with the gear levers in different places. Not sure whether they use the same bell housing either, so you need to check that as you could be stuck if one is a auto and the other a manual. Also I think you'll have issues with the prop shaft flanges and the rear cross member. That said, the TD42 should sit fine in the engine bay (not sure if the mount/s will line up, but on the RD28 conversion you have to move/alter one mount only). Its just getting the bellhousing/gearbox/crossmember to work and I think that will be your biggest problem.

Electrics will be a pain. You need the TD42 loom and you will have to connect this into the GU, electronic ridden system. When I did mine (both GQ of simialr age) I had to repin the looms to match.

1989 Y60 SWB TD42 powered
SWB Patrol Club Member #12

Last edited by Tracteur Tom; 27-10-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 27-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Autos are Superior

Send a message via MSN to truckster

Do it, dozens of others have done GQ in to grenade.

The Genuine Factory Built TD6 GU

Donate to Kids with Neuroblastoma like Dylan

for a chance in life.
Old 27-10-2009, 04:21 PM

Garage

In QLD it wouldn't get registered as the motor is older than the car. Even if you could prove it met emissions etc. it would still be a hard feat to get rego. Can go the other way no worries (older car newer engine) but maybe call RTA (?) before you get too far into it cash wise.
Old 27-10-2009, 04:51 PM

I'm looking at doin the same to my 05, to many problems and potential problems.
With the 3lt and the ZD30 and the TD42 i'm pretty sure use the same bell housing. You will have to get the TD42 engine and chassis mounts and the shroud for the radiator as the TD42 is longer. As the cabs and chassis are the same exhausts and pretty sure the fuel lines are basically in the same position. With the electrics i'm not 100% but i've been told that you keep your loom and ecu but wire in a seperate fuel shut off solenoid to start and turn off the car. My old boy is looking into it a bit more as he will be doing it for me (thanks dad haha).
So i'm quoting him. I'm just waiting to find a engine hopefully a factory fitted turbo for the right price and then will begin the transformation.
If you find out anymore info let us know how you go.
Old 27-10-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoSS View Post
In QLD it wouldn't get registered as the motor is older than the car. Even if you could prove it met emissions etc. it would still be a hard feat to get rego. Can go the other way no worries (older car newer engine) but maybe call RTA (?) before you get too far into it cash wise.
Aren't the TD42 engines the same up until they ceased making them? So you should be fine if you want to swap up until 2007/ 2008?
Old 27-10-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1jase View Post
Aren't the TD42 engines the same up until they ceased making them? So you should be fine if you want to swap up until 2007/ 2008?
This might sound silly, but aren't the GQ's chassis the same as a GU's untill about 2002??? If they are the same why couldn't you mount your GU onto your GQ chassis. Not sure if it has been done or not, but could be an easier way around things??????
Old 27-10-2009, 05:42 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1jase View Post
No idea really mate, i know more about commos than patrols right now (still reading and learning) but someone here would know.

Either way a quick call to the Dept of Transport (RTA or VicRoads or whoever it may be) could save a whole heap of dollars or give you the piece of mind to know it will be legal afterwards.
Old 27-10-2009, 06:40 PM

the motors are easy change you will need the bell housing of the 4.2 box to put on your 3.0 box thats with manual unsure about auto all the electric are straight forward but cant get the rev guage to work in gu as different electric setup
Old 27-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in

Depends on your outlook on life.

The pessimist will always say, too many problems - what if this that and t'other and end up not doing it.

Whereas the optimist will just get on and do it. It will fit, you will have issues along the way, but if you keep at it, it will work.

Big issue as I see it to start with is the box. Auto or manual - decide. The GQ manual wont fit the GU, whereas the GU auto wont bolt directly onto the TD42 (?). You may be able to mix and match (bellhousing swap over) but I guess the simple answer is to source a GU manual box !

Electrics are a problem, but nothing that cant be sorted with a bit of know how.

Good luck and keep us posted.

1989 Y60 SWB TD42 powered
SWB Patrol Club Member #12
Old 29-10-2009, 11:54 PM

Default Update

Ok - thanks for all the advice guys.

As far as I see it - it would be pretty simple swap. The GU is a manual though not an auto as first thought. To keep it easy - just going to pull each motor and box out of each vehicle then put 4.2 in GU - box, motor n all.... just got to play with a mount or two n some smaller bits.

HOWEVER

After a few beers and many thoughts - I really couldnt be bothered as I figure I dont actually USE a 4x4 any more and while I dont own a house its futile to try and build trucks when they cant get thru doors so I have scrapped the project and will sell my TB4 shorty and TD42 turbo LWB too - both will be on ebay next weekend I think.

thanks again though for all the input guys!!1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification