3.0 Litre GU, GOOD or BAD??? - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GU/GR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 03:17 PM

Default 3.0 Litre GU, GOOD or BAD???

G'day. I have a custom 6" lifted 97 GQ Coil Cab set up for touring and am thinking of updating. I am tossing up between a HDJ100R Land Cruiser or a GU Patrol 3.0 litre. Whatever I get I will convert to a dual cab immediately. I am leaning towards the Patrol as I have always hated Cruisers and their drivers. Realistically would love the NT Pajero DID but am sure they can't be converted to a dual cab due having a mono**** chassis. I know the early GU 3.0 litre had troubles. Has Nissan ever solved these problems? What is the last year of the bad ones and the start of the good one's. What sort of km's have people been getting from them without any mechanical issues? What should I expect to return for fuel consumption? I will probably be looking at a modified one needing minor accessories to convert to a tourer.

Any comments will be appreciated. Cheers
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 03:34 PM

I would have a 1HD-FTE over a ZD30 or even a TD42 anyday, just a pity about the crappy IFS front end.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:43 PM

Thats exactly what i'm thinking too, bloody IFS not to mention the extra $15000-$20000 extra price tag for an early 2000 Land Cruiser compared to the 2005+ Patrol. I know the HD Toyota is meant to be indestructible but in saying that so is the GQ TD42 Patrol and their diffs and I found out with both the hard way.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-02-2011, 03:52 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ COILY View Post
G'day. I have a custom 6" lifted 97 GQ Coil Cab set up for touring and am thinking of updating. I am tossing up between a HDJ100R Land Cruiser or a GU Patrol 3.0 litre. Whatever I get I will convert to a dual cab immediately. I am leaning towards the Patrol as I have always hated Cruisers and their drivers. Realistically would love the NT Pajero DID but am sure they can't be converted to a dual cab due having a mono**** chassis. I know the early GU 3.0 litre had troubles. Has Nissan ever solved these problems? What is the last year of the bad ones and the start of the good one's. What sort of km's have people been getting from them without any mechanical issues? What should I expect to return for fuel consumption? I will probably be looking at a modified one needing minor accessories to convert to a tourer.

I have an 07 STS Auto, 96000 kms have had a very good run out of it. Getting aprox 12.5 L/100 on the open road. Regular maintenance & good oils.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:00 PM
------ Curiosity ------

Garage

Quote:

I don't say this very often but, mate do a search, there are literally hundreds of thousands of words on this subject, one thread is running somewhere here currently. If you do a search you can sort through the B******* at your own leasure, this way you stop it from coming back.

My vote is good, but then I am biased as are most of the others on here .
Build Thread
My Channel
A Prudent Question is One Half of Wisdom - F Bacon
Old 08-02-2011, 04:07 PM

05 3.0 GU Patrol. Coming up on the 220 000km mark. No engine mods, regularly serviced. As is obvious, it does a lot of Ks. Only major dramas have been ancillaries, both alternator and AC compressor have been replaced since about 195000km, the intercooler leaks in the normal way, and the front crank seal, or possibly sump gasket is starting to weep. Both these jobs need to be sorted out soon, as does an injector and pump service.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Enemy of Reality

I'm not saying anything - as i always get flamed... Search before the shit begins.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Get a 2003 onwards ZD30 and you should be alright.
Mine has done 180000km and has had nothing major gone wrone with it.

The 1HDFTE engine is a gem. Its a shame that its attached to a POS.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:37 PM

There are a couple of mobs that will slot a 1HD-FTE into a Patrol (with the 5 speed auto if you want) and that should give you a good result.

Buy a Patrol with a blown engine and do the swap.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skegbudley View Post
Get a 2003 onwards ZD30 and you should be alright.
Mine has done 180000km and has had nothing major gone wrone with it.

The 1HDFTE engine is a gem. Its a shame that its attached to a POS.
What is a POS? The GU I am lookking at is a 2005 with 170000km, auto with a Steinbeauer chip.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeker View Post
There are a couple of mobs that will slot a 1HD-FTE into a Patrol (with the 5 speed auto if you want) and that should give you a good result.

Buy a Patrol with a blown engine and do the swap.
That would have to cost a quid being Toyota.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
What is a POS? The GU I am lookking at is a 2005 with 170000km, auto with a Steinbeauer chip.
That's just too many km's for my liking. Roll the time bomb dice....

....Leroy
Old 08-02-2011, 06:01 PM
------ Curiosity ------

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
That's just too many km's for my liking. Roll the time bomb dice....

....Leroy
See what happens GQ Coily, it's started!
Build Thread
My Channel
A Prudent Question is One Half of Wisdom - F Bacon
Old 08-02-2011, 06:05 PM

I'm hearin ya mate
Old 08-02-2011, 06:07 PM

If your in no hurry, Wait for a current shape 4.2 t/d patrol at auction's. (damaged)

Also with the qld floods, The auctions are starting on flooded vehicles in the comming weeks.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Elmo

Garage

This is the 'How many K's has your 3.0L done. Quite interesting comments. . . .

How many K's has your 3ltr done?

Cheers

Deccers
4.2T 2000 GU II ST
35" MTZ
SS 3" Flexy's, Locked & Accessories
Lunacy Unanimous Club #3 (Elmo)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification