3.0L problems - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GU/GR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-03-2008, 09:41 AM

Default 3.0L problems

The 3.0L grenade gets plenty of topics on this forum and most are primarily negitive.

One excuse for all the negitive press is that people only post when there 3.0L explodes or they have an issue

So today I did a search on the 4.2 and the 3.0L diesel engines. I wanted to know how many people have posted about bad experiences with the 4.2?

Is anyone supprised that there are heaps of posts praising the old TD42. A couple of tech issues but no bad press.

Does this blows the excuses for the 3.0L bomb out the window ???

My ZD30......went ....... BOOM. It was not due the more common 3.0L Melting Piston Issue. It never had the chance.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-03-2008, 11:20 AM

Slow news day for you GUDEANO?????????????????????????????????????????
Old 25-03-2008, 11:27 AM

Sorry, I'll have to let you know when it gets to 600,000km.
Old 25-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Autos are Superior

Send a message via MSN to truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazza
Sorry, I'll have to let you know when it gets to 600,000km.
thats cruel!

The Genuine Factory Built TD6 GU

Donate to Kids with Neuroblastoma like Dylan

for a chance in life.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 25-03-2008, 01:09 PM

Good point Deano,

I just returned from Levuka, where I rekon there would have been about 50+ patrols....Its amazing how you actually notice when you drive one....

The vast majority would have been 3.0L. Of course being a relatively new owner of a patrol and having read all of the press on the forum - I took every opportunity to talk to as many 'trol tamers as possible.

I probably spoke to about 20 people....mainly in the queue for the gents...

I couldn't find anyone who bagged their patrol - no one reported having had a blown up engine - only some new of the 'not enough oil in the sump' issue. None of these guys had catch cans or intercooler fans.

Interestingly, the only person who came close to complaining about their truck was a 4.2 owner. He stated '..your 3ltr probably goes better than mine'. He stated that he had had it for a few months after taking some time to find one. He was unhappy with the fuel economy 16L/100km and the overall power. He was going to have his fuel pump checked. It was a 2004 model (I think he said) with about 80K on the clock....All in all it was a minor gripe from him though and issue that most likely will be fixed....
Old 25-03-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUDeano
The 3.0L grenade gets plenty of topics on this forum and most are primarily negitive.
So today I did a search on the 4.2 and the 3.0L diesel engines. I wanted to know how many people have posted about bad experiences with the 4.2?
Is anyone supprised that there are heaps of posts praising the old TD42. A couple of tech issues but no bad press.
Does this blows the excuses for the 3.0L bomb out the window ???
Dean...

For everyones sake...

Stop adding mods to your car, Please sell your 3.0L and either buy a 4.2 or a Toyota.

And remove that ridiculous signature of yours.
Old 25-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Twit

Send a message via MSN to Bad Juju

Marc, you have been trolled.

+2 experience points to GuDeano
Old 25-03-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkBoater
Slow news day for you GUDEANO?????????????????????????????????????????
Yeah day off sick. I was just inspired by a comment on another post and didn't want to hijack it.

My ZD30......went ....... BOOM. It was not due the more common 3.0L Melting Piston Issue. It never had the chance.
Old 25-03-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan
Interestingly, the only person who came close to complaining about their truck was a 4.2 owner. He stated '..your 3ltr probably goes better than mine'. He stated that he had had it for a few months after taking some time to find one. He was unhappy with the fuel economy 16L/100km and the overall power. He was going to have his fuel pump checked. It was a 2004 model (I think he said) with about 80K on the clock....All in all it was a minor gripe from him though and issue that most likely will be fixed....
That might have been Grazza!
Old 25-03-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5upaMav
That might have been Grazza!
I did speak to a bloke on the dunny queue, but mine's a 99 with 208,000 on the clock. Lots of time to chat on that queue. Be one very full ****ter by the end of the weekend.

However I did record a 16L/100 (first time I checked since getting the GU) but the latest check was 13L/100. Too early since I bought it to tell.

I have never seen so many Patrols in one place. Couple of Patrol clubs there and I saw a prominent "Patrol4x4.com" banner...
Old 25-03-2008, 08:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to GU5STS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusParcus
Dean...

For everyones sake...

Stop adding mods to your car, Please sell your 3.0L and either buy a 4.2 or a Toyota.

And remove that ridiculous signature of yours.
I think Deano is secretly scanning Ebay for a 3.0 TD Prado arent yah mate
Old 25-03-2008, 08:44 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to autopatrol

Heard those "beaut trucks" have had a few too many engine fails, like about 2%, far more than the 3 litres. Repairs/replacements are much much quicker and infinitely easier to get than with Mr Nissan
Few bits and pieces added.

Old 25-03-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazza
I did speak to a bloke on the dunny queue, but mine's a 99 with 208,000 on the clock. Lots of time to chat on that queue. Be one very full ****ter by the end of the weekend.

However I did record a 16L/100 (first time I checked since getting the GU) but the latest check was 13L/100. Too early since I bought it to tell.

I have never seen so many Patrols in one place. Couple of Patrol clubs there and I saw a prominent "Patrol4x4.com" banner...

Well it look like it wasn't you that I was speaking to....I spoke to a few patrol guys in the dunny queue....we left early - Sunday afternoon due to some really noisy @#$%ers in the centre of Forest Hill, up until 2am each morning...don't think I will be going back there.....next stop is Glendon Camping in June.....
Old 25-03-2008, 11:30 PM
.........50 Shades of Yom

deano you must not forget that your gu is indeed cursed.
Old 26-03-2008, 12:00 AM

Are so it was you who cursed it.

Well according to my little book, to reverse the curse i need

a finger tip of the accused curser
a small bottle of motor oil and
a campfire to boil up my brew.

Yom are you coming to Tuff Trucks?

The GU is great now. Tuned and flying. It will be a TT08, hopefully it'll get a wash and polish before I go. It is doing the daily school run and taking my wife to work and back each day. It is her car.

I have changed the rear diff to 3.9 from 3.5 (after fitting 35's) and have a 3.9 center with an airlocker I bought recently all fitted up ready to change over on the front as soon as I get motivated. The BJ70 is doing the weekend destress 4wheeling at the moment.

The next job is installing the paddle shift switches for the Auto box and reconecting the torque convertor manual lockup switch on the left of the brake pedal below

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification