3 inch exhaust - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GU/GR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-10-2007, 07:38 AM

Default 3 inch exhaust

G'day all,
After viewing the video from 4wd monthly, I spoke to the guys at Taipan exhaust at the Melbourne 4by show. One of the main points of difference with their system is the non-restrictive nature of the pipe that fits to the rear of the turbo (is this whats called the 'dump pipe?). $1700 fitted is quite a different outlay than some of the other system quoted. From memory the MTQ upgrade, which includes the turbo 'resizing', is about $2800! I don't mind paying good money for a good job, but what is the best value for money?

P.S. 2003 4.2tdi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-10-2007, 11:04 AM

Send a message via MSN to GU5STS

Mate,

Horses for courses and what your after really ? i've got the Taipan and im more than happy with the job and the gains. Do some research, and search the forum theres a Myriad of info on here.

Cheers

Daz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-10-2007, 12:13 PM
my mum thinks I'm cool

Does it have a cat?

if not a exhaust bloke i went to up here just bought a full 3" mandrel system ready made for a 4.2 and adapted it to the Zd30, it only cost about $330 fitted, then i got a 3" dump pipe custom built for $300 fitted.

thats the way i'd go again, that was with no muffler, as the turbo breaks it up enough, but if you listen to it and it's to loud you can get a muffler fitted, and i think you would still be $$ ahead,

the reason a lot of people with ZD30 go the vortex is that they seem to be the only people who do a 3" dump pipe and retain a cat.
Old 31-10-2007, 12:21 PM

Thumbs up

HI there ,
I just got my custom exhaust done , its a 3" mandrel bent with 1 mufler and acustom dump pipe on mild steel and the pump has been recalibrated as well as a safari tuff clutch was installed as well and i can seriously say thet the gain was significant , it feels like a diffrent car all together , the boost comes on earlier and just keeps on going it was a money well spent . all up it cost me $2700 thats the exaust ,tune and a new clutch
Old 31-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Double Locked and Loaded

Really it depends on what you want. Yes you can get away on the cheap but Taipan are at the other end of the scale. Yes they are more $$$ but the build quality is extremely good and the ceramic dump pipe is a work of art.

I have the cheaper setup on my Ute of a 3" steel dump pipe and 3" mandrel exhaust, no muffler's, no restriction. And it is fine and I love the sound, but if I was to do the exhaust on the Wife's / Family 4b I would use the TaipanXP system. Not as loud and better made than the OEM.

I'm guessing your in Melbourne so it should be too hard to find a dealer with a 4.2TD running the TaipanXP system to check out.

If anyone is near Gladstone Qld, the boys at Stay On Track have the TaipanXP on there GU ute if you want to see the system.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 31-10-2007, 04:54 PM
Pist'n broke

From what I read the MTQ upgrade also deals with a few of the problems with the 4.2td. 4wd monthly did a test on it and the gains were good in both power and economy.
I guess it depends on what you want to spend, an exhaust and pump timing will make a big difference. It is all about efficiency the upgrade will deal with other inefficiencies in the system.
I don't know why but it seems Nissan put quite restrictive exhausts on the Patrols. The exhaust changes make a bigger difference than I have experienced with other vehicles.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 31-10-2007, 07:23 PM

Thanx for the input. Fair comment about 'what you want'. I'm a complete novice when it comes to 'mechanics', but I do know I want/need more power. From further reading it would seem that the exhaust upgrade is the number 1 item to be done, then look at other 'things'. Kerry from Taipan seemed to indicated that their dump pipe is more free flowing than others.....thoughts?
Old 31-10-2007, 10:48 PM

I have no doubt that the taipan is a quality product, and i don't want to knock it, but you need to understand that things are always said to help in the sales process along.

Claiming that one dump pipe out performs another is individual opinion, and in my research i did not find any hard evidence to prove that either the taipan or the beaudesert systems dump pipe preformed any better than each other.

however, one this is certain - they will totally out preform the standard nissan dump pipe and exhaust system

I assessed the taipan, the beaudesert and finally decided on a local exhaust shop which had expereience in making some systems for the 3.0 nissan, and they hand built a system for me a LOT cheaper than either of those systems.

I have a new cermic coated dump coming from the turbo, into a high flow cat convertor, then to 2 and 3/4 pipe - into a good quality muffler. All is mandrel bent and i am very happy with the performance. Has dramatically lowered my EGT's, increased fuel economy and improved performance,and has no drone often found with aftermaket systems.

I have a dawe's valve and manual boost controller fitted as i found that the new exhaust caused the turbo to spool faster - i think any larger free flowing exhaust would do that though ad you need to ensure the turbo does not overboost.

I have noted that a few other have reported good performance from the taipan, but little reduction in EGT's.

Lowering exhaust gas temp was my main reason for looking at a aftermarket exhaust as im trying to ensure i don't blow another 3lt motor, so I'm over the moon with my results.

In the end, i think the tiapan is a great product, but I'm not convinced its any better in performance than other systems available that are a lot less in the $$$. but it certainly is a well built system and Kerry does seem to know his stuff.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 31-10-2007, 11:06 PM

I my self have a 3" pipe cost about $750 and fitted it my self but it did not come with the dump pipe but has 3" to the turbo. still proved heaps of power. Get the factory blow-off valve to pop.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:11 AM
Pist'n broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack180
I have a new cermic coated dump coming from the turbo, into a high flow cat convertor, then to 2 and 3/4 pipe - into a good quality muffler. All is mandrel bent and i am very happy with the performance. Has dramatically lowered my EGT's, increased fuel economy and improved performance

Lowering exhaust gas temp was my main reason for looking at a aftermarket exhaust as im trying to ensure i don't blow another 3lt motor, so I'm over the moon with my results.

Good luck with your decision.
I was under the impression that the catalytic converter was a particulate filter that works along similar lines to a cat. The cats Ive seen use a ceramic honeycomb sort of brick with a coating on it and the particulate filters I've seen have a metal honeycomb. Are the particulate filters easy to get then as when I do my exhaust I want to use a filter but something that flows well.
I am pleased to hear it dropped the exhast temps as that is a biggie for me too. Good info I just need to find someone in Perth who does good work.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pist'n broke
I was under the impression that the catalytic converter was a particulate filter that works along similar lines to a cat. The cats Ive seen use a ceramic honeycomb sort of brick with a coating on it and the particulate filters I've seen have a metal honeycomb. Are the particulate filters easy to get then as when I do my exhaust I want to use a filter but something that flows well.
I am pleased to hear it dropped the exhast temps as that is a biggie for me too. Good info I just need to find someone in Perth who does good work.
When i refer to cat - i mean catylitic convertor - they are one and the same - cat is just an abreviation for catylitic convertor. I have fitted a high flow cat - which is designed to allow freeer flow than a standard cat. The only reason i fitted te cat convertor was to stay legal, otherwise yu dont really need one on a diesel.

The exhaust fitter i went to really knew his stuff, and showed me a disected standard cat, and a high flow cat. the density of the honeycomb looks simlar, but the highflo uses higher quality materials to filter the air, which allows the exhaust gas to pass though faster, thus allowing for a free flowing exhaust.

The bottom line is any cat will restrict exhaust flow somewhat, thus increasing EGT's, so if you dont mind flouting the law, the best option would be to install a system without a cat convertor at all.

not sure on the requirements in WA, but in QLD you are not allowed to remove the cat if it was installed as a standard on the fatocy model.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:32 PM

hey, i got a 99 nissan patrol ute dx 4.2 diesel non turbo and wood i be able to just get the muffler cut out to make it sound a little bit better wood that be all right to do thanx...
Old 11-11-2007, 07:34 PM

Send a message via MSN to pmc Send a message via Skype™ to pmc

im getting a 3 inch fitted when i got my desil gas fitted in 2 weeks - the tipan gas tanks acceptable 3" yay will make for better for towing a caravan from perth to queensland in december and january this year
ST-L Club member 01

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification