6.5L Turbo Chevy V8 - Page 2 - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GU/GR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-12-2010, 06:45 PM

Garage

Dura max would be excellent conversion, but did you consider diesel-gas.
with a 3" exhaust and decent intercooler, doubt there would be much difference in power, a turbo 6.5 might be a but more, depends on funds I guess, and the exhaust is cooler while running on gas, I have it, and love it, hate it when I run out of gas, no power.
Thing you notice is the torque improvement, powers up hills.
something to consider.
good luck.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-12-2010, 08:17 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Towie

Peter you must take up MarRus's offer... take a slab so you can have a few drinks & talk about it afterwards while the grin is on your face.

I have a 6.5 Tubo Intercoolered Chevy in a 2001 patrol & agree with frosty, he was very helpful in me making my decision & i am "Super Happy".
Careful listenning to non owners of this conversion i do agree the cheaper option is to throw a few grand at the 4.2 NO question there i had one.

However - there is daylight between them & the 6.5 is way ahead but expensive so finances are the big issue, but if there not DO IT!

Here are a couple of thing to thnk about,
1. buy it for the Tourque not the power
2. fuel economy is excellent
3. NO electronics to worry about
3. as mention by someone it wont stop short of an internal failure
4. pulls from 750rpm in any gear
5. Prrrrrrrrr of the big 8 music to the ears
6. parts are easilly purchased
7. any mechanic could fix it now try that with a moden engine in a remote area
8. my turbo is set to come on at 2000rpm so i dont use it much
9. HWY 13.5 per 100 not towing & when having alot of fun 14.4 per 100 & around town
10. Recent trip with two 4.2 diesels & Jeep i used the least amount of fuel
11. 3:9 diffs will see about 2200rpm at 100klms
12. overheating issues are long gone
13. looks like a factory fit - excellent job.

Now to put into perspective i have a 79 Series with a 1HDFTE with Safari Chip & 3 inch zaust used to tow 3 tonne of boat & it goes like stink. Now we dont buy the 6.5 for power but zero to 100 the 6.5 is about 3 seconds quicker & my ute is faster then a 4.2TD Patrol with chips & pipe etc.
"Now its not to start an arguement its a fact & we have tested it many times!" so calm down you 4.2 owners.
So in finishing you buy a truck that suits your needs & the 6.5 requires less effort to drive most use 2nd to 4th to 5th now you cant do that in 4.2. The 6.5 chugs along all day in low range at very low revs using less fuel & low 3 will see others using low 1 or 2 and many owners find themselves driving in high range after the 4.2 owners have shifted into low.

So i love my ute & love the Chevy but they are very different animals & the Nissan 4.2 is a bloody great engine with electronics etc & IMO its very bloody old technology too.

If you want to ask anything i would call Greg or Scotty or Brad at Brunswick and if you like feel free to call me 0418 308 526.
The only problem is ITS BLOODY EXPENSIVE

Cheers Towie

2006 DX GU 4.2TD Ute - Garret & Cross Country Intercooler
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 21-12-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towie View Post
Peter you must take up MarRus's offer... take a slab so you can have a few drinks & talk about it afterwards while the grin is on your face.

I have a 6.5 Tubo Intercoolered Chevy in a 2001 patrol & agree with frosty, he was very helpful in me making my decision & i am "Super Happy".
Careful listenning to non owners of this conversion i do agree the cheaper option is to throw a few grand at the 4.2 NO question there i had one.

However - there is daylight between them & the 6.5 is way ahead but expensive so finances are the big issue, but if there not DO IT!

Here are a couple of thing to thnk about,
1. buy it for the Tourque not the power
2. fuel economy is excellent
3. NO electronics to worry about
3. as mention by someone it wont stop short of an internal failure
4. pulls from 750rpm in any gear
5. Prrrrrrrrr of the big 8 music to the ears
6. parts are easilly purchased
7. any mechanic could fix it now try that with a moden engine in a remote area
8. my turbo is set to come on at 2000rpm so i dont use it much
9. HWY 13.5 per 100 not towing & when having alot of fun 14.4 per 100 & around town
10. Recent trip with two 4.2 diesels & Jeep i used the least amount of fuel
11. 3:9 diffs will see about 2200rpm at 100klms
12. overheating issues are long gone
13. looks like a factory fit - excellent job.

Now to put into perspective i have a 79 Series with a 1HDFTE with Safari Chip & 3 inch zaust used to tow 3 tonne of boat & it goes like stink. Now we dont buy the 6.5 for power but zero to 100 the 6.5 is about 3 seconds quicker & my ute is faster then a 4.2TD Patrol with chips & pipe etc.
"Now its not to start an arguement its a fact & we have tested it many times!" so calm down you 4.2 owners.
So in finishing you buy a truck that suits your needs & the 6.5 requires less effort to drive most use 2nd to 4th to 5th now you cant do that in 4.2. The 6.5 chugs along all day in low range at very low revs using less fuel & low 3 will see others using low 1 or 2 and many owners find themselves driving in high range after the 4.2 owners have shifted into low.

So i love my ute & love the Chevy but they are very different animals & the Nissan 4.2 is a bloody great engine with electronics etc & IMO its very bloody old technology too.

If you want to ask anything i would call Greg or Scotty or Brad at Brunswick and if you like feel free to call me 0418 308 526.
The only problem is ITS BLOODY EXPENSIVE

Cheers Towie

Hi there,

Just a quick question, what manifolds did you use on the chevy in the pic? did you use the standard turbo manifold but put it on the other side?

TIA

Adrian
Old 22-12-2010, 06:09 AM

Thats a very good question but i dont know the answer.
Brunswick Diesels put the engine in & i would have to see a std one to compare..

Also a miss print around town is 15.5 per 100 thats me typing too fast...oops

Old 22-12-2010, 10:14 PM

Thanks for all the replies fellas it gives me some more info to work on and think about.
And your offer Marrus about hooking my van onto your rig. Many thanks but am already lining up to do that with Brunswick.
The one option that was suggested about going Toyota is not an option couldn't afford the oil to keep their V8 spinning.
Coming up for 1 million kilometres with Nissan diesels. The only problems were alternator and water pump in the MQ 3.3L.
Cheers
Peter
Old 23-12-2010, 07:24 AM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Nightjar, what will make a difference to the costs of the various options is if your TD42 is Turbo or not, You didnt say...
If its a non turbo engine in the first place it wont be able to reliably handle as much power as a factory turbo GU TD42.

In your research you should also have a chat with the boys at United Fuel Injection, they wont sell you something that you dont need. If yours was a turbo they have done some interesting things to the TD05 turbos which help them spool up quick yet still flow well at high power.
500+ Nm across an RPM range wider than a gear is acheivable for half what you're looking at spending.

Remember you cant tow something that big in 5th so you may as well forget about that.

Also worth considering is the weight of the engines, what extra weight goes under the bonnet comes off your load carrying capacity.

I did some calculatiuons the other day comparing a TD42 turbo to an LS-2 also taking into account the weight of the extra fuel you have to carry (until you burn it). You are about 115kg better off with the LS-2 assuming you keep the patrol manual gearbox.

Last edited by MikeH; 23-12-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old 23-12-2010, 03:23 PM

Testing
Old 23-12-2010, 03:40 PM

I put Testing in a post and it is accepted, yet if I reply to the thread I get a 404 error??
Old 26-12-2010, 09:28 AM

Testing
Old 26-12-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightjar View Post
Testing
I give up....
Old 26-12-2010, 04:26 PM

If you have the cash for a Brunswick conversion, rather throw a duramax in there
Old 27-12-2010, 07:50 AM

Brunswick = expensive old technology but no electrics
Duramax = Alot more expensive & its still a CRD with all electrics & fussy with fuel quality & not just any mechanic can help you fix it if you like to travel to remote areas..

I would love a Duramax it has alot more power but potentially more problems & complications too.... but its state of the art warfare for 4wders to have fun in..

Patrol28's sounds like a magnificent setup & conversion of a very high standard i just wonder about being in remote areas with these computerised engines.. IMO only that is

Old 27-12-2010, 08:57 AM

In many ways electronics are more reliable than mechanical. I've played with both old and new technology on petrol engines and frankly I've even thought about putting injection on the lawnmower for reliability reasons.

Do a fuel pump on your chev and see how long it takes to get one out bush. For that matter, modified TD42 pump, or bits for a duramax will all take a while to get freighted into remote areas.
Your reliability and availability concerns are valid, however anything non-standard will take a while to fix in the bush and you are overly concerned with GM's electronics reliability.

Now if you want to try a lightly modified TD42 on gas you can take my maverick for a spin, It tows another patrol wagon packed full of camping gear, spares and tools on an 800kg car trailer at 100 with ease. Brookton highway hill I did slow a bit for, but was still holding 70 km/hr in the steepest bit. Non-intercooled.

Unfortunately the more heavily "modified" TD42 is off the road at the moment. It's internally stock but has 150kW+ at the wheels over a 1000 rpm band (2750 to 3750) so it pulls hard all the way through the gear, this is critical for towing, don't base your decision on peak performance, rather on the lowest performance of the engine within the rev range of a typical gear. Max torque is at 2500 (576Nm @ engine) 4th gear dyno pull on 31 inch wheels. You can get that performance, still be reliable and have at least 25 grand still in your pocket for another lap or two of the country.
If you lose a fuel pump you can put a standard one on for reduced performance to get around. Turbo you'll need to wait about a day or maybe 2 in the goldfields.

You should aim for peak torque close to or just below cruising speed in 4th. That's why they put moonshot diff ratios on the Chevs.

People love the Brunswicks and I do like them, but I cant see the value in them and they are exceptionally heavy, every bit of weight has to earn it's keep when you're getting close to GVM.
If you don't care about the money go for it. If you really don't care about the money go the Duramax.

Just don't make your decision until you've driven a few of the options, its a hell of a lot of money.
Old 27-12-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH View Post
In many ways electronics are more reliable than mechanical. I've played with both old and new technology on petrol engines and frankly I've even thought about putting injection on the lawnmower for reliability reasons.

Do a fuel pump on your chev and see how long it takes to get one out bush. For that matter, modified TD42 pump, or bits for a duramax will all take a while to get freighted into remote areas.
Your reliability and availability concerns are valid, however anything non-standard will take a while to fix in the bush and you are overly concerned with GM's electronics reliability.

Very true, out of all the modern fuel injected cars i've had and all the old school ones i've had diesel and petrol its definitely the older more simpler ones ive had drama with. And this is my 20th car so I'm not just talking about one or two.

People love the Brunswicks and I do like them, but I cant see the value in them and they are exceptionally heavy, every bit of weight has to earn it's keep when you're getting close to GVM.
If you don't care about the money go for it. If you really don't care about the money go the Duramax.

Just don't make your decision until you've driven a few of the options, its a hell of a lot of money.
Very good advice.

My Build thread:

[/CENTER]
Old 27-12-2010, 04:35 PM

Garage

Id agree too, in my experience it is NEVER the electronics. Mechanical failure is 1000 times more likely than electrical.
Old 28-12-2010, 06:13 AM

Yep i can agree with that guys to a degree & also appreciate we all have varying degrees of experience & views. Nothing like keeping up with technology & i know its always going to be something better & improved (except the ZD30) i had one & a 4.2.

For me not being overly gifted mechanically the simpler the better so if i have to find/fix something its old school stuff.
If i look under the bonet of new vehicles these days its a maze of mayhem i helped out a 200 series recently but we didnt have a clue what we were looking at in there.

For me over many years most mechanical breakdowns are preventable by either driver input or by preperation for the trip. Im not talking weekend warrior or day runs with mates but cross country remote travel.

I totally understand Mike & Patrol28 i just sit on the other side of this fence is all & perhaps its the technology that concerns me as i dont know my way around the new motors except for my 79 Series ute which is i admit alittle high tech.

Cheers Towie............

PS. So Peter 2.5 tonne is alot of wieght to be dragging around the gold fields perhaps an F250 would do the job..Another big thing for me is having a large engine working easilly not a small engine working hard to perform like i large engine.

Old 28-12-2010, 06:22 PM

For some reason I cannot post in detail, have contacted webmaster. Very strange?
Old 28-12-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennoGU28 View Post
Id agree too, in my experience it is NEVER the electronics. Mechanical failure is 1000 times more likely than electrical.
if this is the case, wouldnt it be better to go the 4.8? cheaper, more power......
Old 28-12-2010, 08:58 PM

Garage

Hells yeah. and that 5 spd auto *drool*
Old 28-12-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by full-boost View Post
if this is the case, wouldnt it be better to go the 4.8? cheaper, more power......

Yep if only they didn't drink so much fuel i'd be happy with one. Turboed of course

My Build thread:

[/CENTER]

Tags
6.5l, chevy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification