Any common problems 4.5 petrol? - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GU/GR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-03-2009, 10:16 PM

Default Any common problems 4.5 petrol?

Hi all

Still new to the patrol/4x4 scene. IS there and common probs that i should be aware of with tthis model? 98 GU 200,000ks. Im havin a bit of idling probs atm. Ive just had a service and tune still not great. I dont think injectors have been service properly at all in its life time. Some times it takes off like a rocket and others it struggles and sorta picks up at around 3000 rpm. Any ideas?

Cheers Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-03-2009, 10:45 PM
She's apples

These trucks are pretty solid, no major problems. These motors thirsty, slow but very reliable. Sometime 5th gear can cause problems, especially if towing.

As for your idle probs, it could be the tappets need adjusting. If you are mechanically minded it is a pretty simple job. Search this site for some good detailed instructions.

I recently changed my leads and mine runs much smoother and idles much better. (Lift the bonnet of your patrol while its idling and check out all the plug leads(must be done at night, must be be pitch black, very hard to see). Mine had little sparks jumping between them and when it missed at idle, there was a relatively big spark near #6 spark plug. New leads and plugs and all sparks/misses are gone.)

Might be worth checking out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Wanna be...........ELSEWHERE

Send a message via MSN to BDH GU

Another common problem for power loss is the cat converter breaks up over time and "blocks the exhaust" give the exhaust a good hit, if the cat is brocken you will hear it rattling in the pipe and muffler.
White Patrol Club #18!!!!!
www.teamnaturallyaspirated.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 20-03-2009, 11:04 AM

Both of those are excellent bits of advice.

The idling is more likely tappets or timing I would think but the power lose could be unrelated and definitely be the cat. I'm not sure who it was on here that suggested that to me when I was having power problems but that is exactly how it started out. Low power and then out of the blue a surge of power and all would be well again.

I imagine this was the bits of broken up cat blocking the exhaust and then clearing.
Old 20-03-2009, 11:04 AM

Both of those are excellent bits of advice.

The idling is more likely tappets or timing I would think but the power lose could be unrelated and definitely be the cat. I'm not sure who it was on here that suggested that to me when I was having power problems but that is exactly how it started out. Low power and then out of the blue a surge of power and all would be well again.

I imagine this was the bits of broken up cat blocking the exhaust and then clearing.

The CAT is only 4 bolts to pull it off and have a look in it. When I took mine off I could not see through it, it was completely jammed at the outlet end with bits of broken glass type stuff.
Old 20-03-2009, 12:05 PM

On major problem with the 4.8 is you will need to get a second job to be able to afford the fuel bill.
LPG should make it a little cheaper to run

Nothing like a mighty Patrol to let you see this great country of ours
Old 20-03-2009, 12:32 PM

Ummm, the topic is the 4.5... And FYI my 4.8 on LPG is cheaper to run than my old 3.0TD surf.
Old 20-03-2009, 02:06 PM

4.5 owners in general freely admit that these vehicles like to drink but the fuel is a known expense that can be calculated.

There are a lot of things that won't/can't happen with this engine.. in contrast to the chagrin of many TD owners on this forum.
With some of the prices I've seen quoted for some of the repairs, there's more chance there of people needing a second job..
Old 20-03-2009, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the replies!
I dont think plug leads have been changed at all!! Any idea how much the are??

I wil also check out the cat as well. I havent heard any rattling as yet though.

Slightly off topic. The power/hold button (its auto) dosent seem to do anythin at all. It lights up and thats bout it. No higher revving, nothing? Any idea what that could be??

Cheers Frank
Old 20-03-2009, 10:13 PM

Just another Aside...

LPG on the 4.5L Runs great... I converted mine mid last year and I havent looked back... In heinsight I've only got the 60L (54L useable tank with 45L petrol) which can be a bit short on the reserves (if at LCP or beach etc)...

Power loss on the LPG is negligible as well... (havent noticed much but I dont drive it like a racecar anyway)

As for issues, I had a bit of an Air leak in the intake manifold which was down to a broken engine bolt. Nothing major and was picked up when converting to LPG.

The oil pressure switch and cap needed to be replaced but other than that all good...

I got a bit of a hot tip from a mechanic who owns a patrol and said to take off the metal cap on top of the coil suspension bracket. He said dirt and crud gets pushed in and is never cleaned properly. He said just take the cap off and hose it out, throw some wd40 or something in and put the cap back on.

Great truck... been happy with mine so far...(much better then my Fathers 80 series :P)
Old 20-03-2009, 11:13 PM

we sold our 98 GU auto 4500 not long ago.it was a good tough bus.the power button thingy in ours if on economy would make it start off in 2nd or something.very slugish compared to being in power mode which is where ours sat all the time.we put gas on and it was a disaster mainly due to the crappy installer.have you done your plugs.wouldnt hurt to do them cos i like to see people in pain.
mini me project #1. the little one
gold pootrol club #27. GU DX ute the tuff one
twin locked,aftermarket intercooler -GONE-
09 hilux dual cab4x4. still lurking as i have no friends
Old 20-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Wanna be...........ELSEWHERE

Send a message via MSN to BDH GU

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootrol
we sold our 98 GU auto 4500 not long ago.it was a good tough bus.the power button thingy in ours if on economy would make it start off in 2nd or something.very slugish compared to being in power mode which is where ours sat all the time.we put gas on and it was a disaster mainly due to the crappy installer.have you done your plugs.wouldnt hurt to do them cos i like to see people in pain.
Not to bad if you use a uni joint and a long extension especially for the rear plug but one slip..............I had more pain from fitting the extractors, removing the old manifold you need to be a multi jointed contortionist.
White Patrol Club #18!!!!!
www.teamnaturallyaspirated.com
Old 21-03-2009, 09:38 AM
She's apples

I believe the hold button stops the gearbox from changing back to first. This is so in very slippery conditions it takes off in second reducing the chance of wheelspin. Don't think it has enough power to spin the wheel anyway...

Send a PM to Nizzbits on this forum regarding the spark plug leads. He does good prices on Nissan parts. Around $100 delivered to your door.
Old 21-03-2009, 11:42 AM

Just dug this out from the manual.

Automatic transmission mode switch
Three different driving pattern modes are available on this automatic transmission, AUTO, HOLD and POWER. Each mode is designed to maximize driving performance under different driving conditions. These modes can be selected by pushing the mode switch (located on the center console) to the appropriate position.

POWER MODE:

• Used for rapid acceleration or uphill driving.

• Holds POWER pattern; the shifting speeds in each gear change to ones somewhat higher mode than those of the AUTO mode.

• Upshifts from 1st to 4th gear (or 3rd gear when OD switch is OFF) occur automatically.

AUTO MODE:

• Used for economical driving.

• Automatically selects ECONOMY or POWER pattern in response to accelerator pedal depression speed.

• Upshifts from 1st to 4th gear (or 3rd gear when OD switch is OFF) occur automatically.

HOLD MODE:

Provides a feeling of sporty driving with manual transmission when used in combination with the select lever and the OD (overdrive) switch. Also used for standing starts on slippery (snowy, sandy) roads.

• When the selector lever is in the "D" position, 4th gear is held (or 3rd gear when OD switch is OFF) or the transmission shifts to 2nd or 3rd gear automatically from standing starts or when accelerating from low speed.

• When the selector lever is in the "2nd" position, 2nd gear is held.

Pete
Old 22-03-2009, 06:52 PM

Default plugs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootrol
have you done your plugs.wouldnt hurt to do them cos i like to see people in pain.
Ah yes the plugs, I am recalling the pain right now!!!
Old 13-04-2009, 01:01 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to travntor

I am looking into a power upgrade for my 4.5 patrol. Already done the plugs (not looking forward to that experience again) and going to put on a 3 inch mandrel bent system. I am getting a power surge when going up steep hills under full power so I will be changing leads and looking at the dizzy as well.
Old 13-04-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankyfrank118
Hi all

Still new to the patrol/4x4 scene. IS there and common probs that i should be aware of with tthis model? 98 GU 200,000ks. Im havin a bit of idling probs atm. Ive just had a service and tune still not great. I dont think injectors have been service properly at all in its life time. Some times it takes off like a rocket and others it struggles and sorta picks up at around 3000 rpm. Any ideas?

Cheers Frank
while i dont have an answer to your question, the tb45's do suffer from a fairly common timing case fault!!
the water pump cavitates the water and eats away the case creating a hole strait into the block..!
mine did it at 130 odd thou and the second hand case i brought had the same issue though not as bad!(so i had mine welded and machined for a 1/4 of the cost of a new timing case!!)

there's no way of knowing unless you take it off which require's the head to be taken of to do it PROPERLY!

but apart from that they are bomb proof and thristy!
just dont get them hot!!
Old 21-05-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcoe View Post
while i dont have an answer to your question, the tb45's do suffer from a fairly common timing case fault!!
the water pump cavitates the water and eats away the case creating a hole strait into the block..!
mine did it at 130 odd thou and the second hand case i brought had the same issue though not as bad!(so i had mine welded and machined for a 1/4 of the cost of a new timing case!!)

there's no way of knowing unless you take it off which require's the head to be taken of to do it PROPERLY!

but apart from that they are bomb proof and thristy!
just dont get them hot!!
What are the damages this will cause once they rot through? Cheers, Jim
Old 21-05-2011, 08:25 PM

minnnes just clocked over the 300 000km's and still runs strong never had a prob with the motor, exhust however totaly ate itself from the inside out but a new set of extrasctors and a 2 &3/4 inch system with a high flow cat was a goer.
Old 21-05-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsteve View Post
Ah yes the plugs, I am recalling the pain right now!!!
Do the plugs when you do the tappets, because you have to take a lot of stuff off the top of the engine to remove the rocker cover. It seemed much easier the second time. There was also a thread here about cleaning the crud that sticks around the bottom of the throttle butterfly. I will do mine next time, cause there is a fair bit there but I didn't have any carby cleaner when I had it off last time. My idle is pretty good, but not as good as my old carby TB42, so I suspect that might be it.

There is a process for adjusting idle speed and timing in the manual. There are a few adjustments which affect cold idle speed as well as hot idle. Mine was all wrong when I got it. I like a few more degrees of advance than the factory spec (I suspect the factory setting was for emissions rather than performance and economy) especially on gas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification