Anyone for Nulon? - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GU/GR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-05-2008, 02:27 PM

Default Anyone for Nulon?

Hi all,
Has anybody tried the Nulon diesel oil which they claim reduces friction by up to 30%? I had a look on their site to try and find its specs, but they don't give a JASO rating. They do give many others including API, of CI 4, CH 4, CG 4 and CF 4.

I've been using Shell Rimula X and have been happy with it in my ZD30. But if this one really does reduce friction that much, maybe I'll try it. Any thing to reduce the pain at the pump!

Cheers
PJ.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-05-2008, 04:54 PM
The Bear

I changed to this last thing on the morning I left for Bris for perth, back in March. I didn't really notice any difference to the motor. - TD4.2T. Neither quieter nor smoother, nothing adverse either.

Fuel economy was not any different towing the van to that I achieved on Shell RimullaX, which was the last lot of Oil I tried.

I am flying back over in a couple of weeks to drive the rig back again, and will do an oil and filter change before I leave WA and do the fuel figures all the way back and see if there is any difference.

I was going to give Penrite a go this time, maybe HPR DIESEL, based on the fact that she has about 230K km on her and tollerances are probably not what they were and the 20/60 will certainly benefit oil pressure delivery, just need a couple minutes longer warm-up time, or maybe HPR15 which is a 15/50because of the colder temps now, especially dowwwwnnnnn ssooouuuttthhhh.

It was 40deg plus for quite a few days towing when we went over and we did have some critical overheating issues because of injector pump problems, and the Nulon oil probably stood up well to that for the few days we endured that.

I had always used Penzoil Diesel MA long life diesel oil in my '88 NA 4.2 GQ, both in Na, and later turbo form and noticed that it definately did give me better fuel economy, up to 200 + Kms per tank on a fresh change, and I only changed the oil and filters when I got down to getting 650 km per tank.

My current NA 91GQ is running on shell RimulaX and I struggle to get 700K out of a tank of fuel around town.

I have noticed that I am working very hard to get 650km - 700k out of the MAIN tank of the GU even with fresh oil and filters.

I have not bothered to go back to Penzoil as it is now made by Shell, and I doubt it is now the same oil or has the same additatives it used to have, certainly the packaging has changed, and the range of oils has been reduced and consolidated.

Dont know if all that helps, it is something I am interested in too, there's no magic bullet, but I will try a few brands to find the best suited to my style of driving (sometimes boy racer-there's no substitute for revs, and sometimes PIA grandad - 'cause I can - theres no substitute for torque)

theres been heaps on here about oil, and there's a long term thread on it and WHITIE seems to have the good oil on all that.
Old 28-05-2008, 07:40 PM

I have been using the Nulon oil for a while now and am happy with it. $50 for 10 litres, and being a proud Aussie it just helps me hand over my money knowing its 100% Australian owned and made. I have tried a few different oil brands and the only difference I could see is the colour of the bottle, and price.

THE OLD........................................&THE NEW

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 28-05-2008, 08:31 PM

Cat DEO 15W40 is also good... but I am a bit biased after working with Cat since I left school in 79..
I run oil analysis and its excellent @ 5000 ks, will easily run to 10K.
Old 28-05-2008, 08:53 PM

Default Nulon Additives

My dad myself and three brothers have been using Nulon products since they were first introduced. I have always used the Nulon Diesel additive in all my trucks and cars. My dads 302 V8 in his XC ford has done 500,000km's and its still going strong, at 400,000km's we pulled the heads off to do the valve stem seals and we were amazed to still see hone marks in the bore from when the car was built. The good thing about all their oil additives is that they protect the engine from dry starts because of the residual film that remains on all moving parts. I have not tried the oils yet, but if the additives are anything to go by I cant see why the oils wouldn't be any good. Cheers.
http://www.nulon.com.au/
Old 29-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

I'll second Barons comments about the Nulon additives. I'll try the oil too when I start doing my own servicing. If the oil does as their additives do, I'll be happy.
Old 29-05-2008, 05:45 PM
The Bear

I used to be a firm believer in friction modifying additives, such as Slick 50 and Nulon and I used slick 50 for years in my vehicles with what I believed was success, they did seem to run smoother, and get better fuel economy than before using it, and I still believe it saved one engine from destruction - severe overheat and siezure, two pistons nipped up, but I hit the starter as soon as it stopped and it started and ran again, and after cooling and adding coolant allowed me to drive home for a simple engine rebuild, with 2 piston/liner kits. The original hone marks were still clearly visible on the bores, and the bearings had negligible wear. ('88 GQ TD42 -T)

I do not know if Slick 50 changed their formula, however in light of the US Govt determination against Slick 50 they were ordered to cease and desist advertising such claims as decreasing friction, engine wear, coating the moving parts with teflon to decrease wear and friction etc.

You would have to google Slick 50 to find out more, it was also a link on another thread in here some time back, about 2 months ago.

I note Slick 50 is still available in Aus, and still make the same claims as they used to do in the States before they were prevented.

Anyhow that being the case I also started to wonder about Nulon, who make an identical product and make almost identical claims, and whether they are genuine or not.

Hey, I still used Nulon, together with Nulon diesel oil, in my last oil change before I left for WA, so I'm not turned off completely, however maybe a little more sceptical than before. I believe strongly in Teflon as a friction modifier, and I think that was the "secret" ingredient in Penzoil oils advertised as "Penzane7".

I think there was a tie-up between Penzoil and Slick50 somewhere along the line.

Anyhow it is a bit like believing in God, you don't have to believe, but it doesn't hurt to pray................. (I'm a believer)
Old 31-05-2008, 05:46 PM

Default nulon oils

Hey,
Have used the Nulon oil range before and with good results. Don't read too much into the 30% less friction thing though, it is 30% less friction than the industry standard not other brands of oil, just a new and clever advertising campain .
Old 31-05-2008, 06:06 PM
.........50 Shades of Yom

http://www.genpaku.org/skepticj/slick50.html

In posting that I use Lucas Heavy duty oil stabiliser in the quad bike @ home to quieten down its big end bearings. (they dont make a heavier grade oil for it as it uses a combined sump for the engine, gearbox and transfer case, this is the only "thickening" agent which won't stuff up the gearbox side of things)
Old 31-05-2008, 07:12 PM

Hi Allan

I didn't know that Slick 50 had to stop making those claims but I did notice that they reduced the milage that they claimed a treatment would last for.

I used Slick 50 in all most of my vehicles up until the Patrol purely because I could not find it anymore.

Isn't Castrol Magnatec making similar sorts of claims as Nulon and Slick 50 products in regards to coating engine parts in order to reduce dry startup damage?
Old 31-05-2008, 07:33 PM

Yes they do.

In reality the oil is only doing as it has always been designed to do. Magnatec is no better at sticking to the parts of the engine than any other quality semi synthetic oil from any big name brand these days.
Old 31-05-2008, 07:50 PM

I think there was a tie-up between Penzoil and Slick50 somewhere along the line.

Penzoil owns Slick50 and guess who own's Penzoil .... Royal Dutch ( Shell )
White Patrol Member #31
Old 31-05-2008, 07:57 PM

In reality the oil is only doing as it has always been designed to do. Magnatec is no better at sticking to the parts of the engine than any other quality semi synthetic oil from any big name brand these days.

Ah it depends on what synthetic base stock oil they are using eg PAO's which are a group 4 base oil, synthetic esters goup 5 base oil ( diesters, polyolesters, alklylated napthlenes) etc etc. i think I spelled them right.
White Patrol Member #31

Last edited by Fox Shooter; 31-05-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 31-05-2008, 10:06 PM
The Bear

Foxshooter, there ya go, I dont know how long ago they bought out Quaker State, and aldo/Yom, I agree that good oil only has to do its job, and modern technology just makes "some oils better", or is it "makes better oils".. both I think.

As I said there is no magic bullet, but every little advantage we can derive makes some small improvement in either power, economy, and/or reliability.

I read somewhere recently that an oil company in the US, god bless 'em, got sued over syntheric oil not being synthetic oil, might have been Castrol thinking about it, but was mineral oil being cracked or re-engineered and reformed into 'Synthetic oil", and being sold alongside their premier genuine synthetic product as identical when it wasn't.

Whoever it was won the law suit, which in effect re classified what I think was the modified group 4 oils as full synthetic because remanufacturing process significantly changed the oil.

The other oil majors rubbed their hands together, said thank you very much, and now do the same thing because it is cheaper than manufacturing the group 5 products into "synthetic oil", but still charge the same higher prices for the cheaper product as for the group 5 manufactured products, and can now advertise it as such, in the US anyhow. "They" (all) still manufacture the premier product too.

Don't know what happens out here with our manufacturing - how much is made locally, how much is imported, I know that there are both types of "synthetic" oil on sale, but which is which, and which is "better" I have no idea.

I dont think one would trust buying on price - where you could once have reasonably ASSumed that the much higher priced product was superior, any more, based on recent performances and price gouging of the oil companies.

After all what can the average punter, like many of us, have to go on other than advertising blurb, word of mouth, and/or our own product research, and the specification detailed on packing and on company web sites, that only gives minimal, sometimes obscured or confusing detail.

I don't particularly recollect any oil bottles on the shelf at super cr*P, or Auto freak, where most of us shop, stating that the semi-synthetic or synthetic oils we are looking at purchasing, at a premium, are made, or derived from Group 4 this or Group 5 that.

May be wrong, but someone will correct me.
Old 31-05-2008, 11:56 PM

afaik we have no such regulations in australia so who knows what we're buying....

i figure im safe with the delo400 for the moment. been told there's trucks in fleets using this oil and they're getting well over a million KM with no issues. All the specs are right on for the td42, infact they exceed them. Plus its cheap so I've no complaints!

Wouldnt mind trying the rimulaX though? slightly thicker grade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification