Beaudesert Exhaust on a 3.0l - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GU/GR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-08-2008, 02:56 PM

Default Beaudesert Exhaust on a 3.0l

Hi all,

Exhausts for the 3.0 again sorry.

Had the truck on ramps the other day so I could have a look around underneath and noticed some burn marks coming through on the exhaust (perfect timing as im keen to replace the stock one anyway).

Im keen to install the system myself so im leaning towards the beaudesert kit (or the Scotts rods kit but this one is hard to find information out about) - I cant justify the price of the tiapan xp one and they arent content with their exhausts going on a non chipped car.

From talking to Beaudesert exhausts their system is a 2.75 inch mandel bent system that starts out 2.5inch at the turbo (start of the cat) and 2.75 at the back of the cat and through to the end.

The system is $50 less for no muffler should I not want one (do I want one?).

Can anyone get a sound recording for me please of the beaudesert exhaust on the 3.0? Muffler or not I dont mind.

Any other comments on the 2.75 inch system on the 3.0 would be appreciated.

cheers
Paul

Old 2003 GU Patrol 3.0 TDI Auto
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-08-2008, 03:38 PM

Hi Barbz,

I had recently a beaudesert exhaust sent to me in Perth, it came all nicely packaged and all parts present to do the job. The biggest job was getting to the turbo bolt nuts. Its 2.5 inch at turbo as thats the general exit size of turbo port, and bolt pattern. I have a muffler as part of the system just to keep everyone happy (police, insurance)

I'm very happy with the quality and fitment, and I felt a slight increase in the power curve. And I have no increase in cabin sound at all.

So overall with general mechanical knowledge an easy enough job, and you should be happy with it.

Sorry can't give a sound recording for you.

2005 Standard ST 4.2TD Ute
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 15-08-2008, 05:11 PM

Garage

I have one, 2.75 from turbo back.

I have no cat but only one large (standard) muffler. It is only a little louder than usual but the turbo spools up alot quicker.

No real difference to noise in cabin (except for turbo blow off, you know when you let off the throttle whilst on boost).

I would recommend this kit, it took me longer to take the old one off then to put the new one on. The only problem i had was that i have a Kaymar rear bar and the last pick up point on the exhaust had to be extended to make sure the tip didn't rub on the Kaymar bracket. You would have been no issue with standard bumper.

Would you like a sound recording sent PM?

Blue Patrol Club #11
Old 15-08-2008, 05:14 PM

Default Bd 2.75

Hello Paul

I have the BD 2.75 Inch

Fitted it myself - everything lined up ok - just one small section where it touched but a bit of adjusting and its OK now.

I was expecting it to sound a lot louder (from other posts) but to be honest it doesnt sound much different at all to the stock exhaust.

I immediately noticed that the car car holds gear a lot better - ie - you can take off from a corner in 3rd a lot better. EGT's are lower as well. It typically sits between 300 and 350 sometimes going up to 400c.

The exhaust will smell like its burning for a few days or even a couple of weeks while it settles down.

The mufflers are supposedly "straight through" to improve flow - so I would go with one as it keeps the noise down and I rekon there is no benefit in removing it.

Just read ntbutler's Post above.. I to had to modify the rear ARB bar as the new exhaust went right through a hoop that held on one of the sides.. 1/2 hour job with the welder...

Regards

Marc
Old 15-08-2008, 06:35 PM

Thanks guys, car is in for a service next week so will see how much cash I come out with after that.

If I dont have the balls to install it the local shop in ipswich quoted $1140 for the beaudesert system installed so will go with them (I think) - hell of a lot closer than beaudesert anyway - see how we go

Cheers
Paul

Old 15-08-2008, 07:55 PM

Hey Paul. Be careful getting it without a cat. If you don't have your needle valve installed, it may overboost and force the ECU into limp mode.
Old 15-08-2008, 08:34 PM

Thanks, Ill be going a system with cat and muffler

Old 15-08-2008, 09:52 PM

Have you got an EGT gauge in? The beaudesert system i got sent up had provision for a pyro, so i installed an EGT guage while i was there. All i had to do was drill a hole in the heat shield........easy as.
Old 15-08-2008, 09:55 PM

Ta - plan to put one in before I get the exhaust so its ready to go.

Wouldnt know what size thread it was off the top of your head would you?

Old 16-08-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbz
Ta - plan to put one in before I get the exhaust so its ready to go.

Wouldnt know what size thread it was off the top of your head would you?
Don't know the size, but i'm pretty sure the pyro i fitted was a VDO one.
Old 17-08-2008, 07:16 AM

In terms of exhaust size, could you get away with a 3inch exhaust and not install a performance chip? - has anyone done this?

Cheers
Paul

Old 17-08-2008, 09:37 AM

Default 3" Exhaust

Hey Paul - I dont think that the extra .25" accounts for extra power.

I remember reading lots of stuff on the 3.0 exhaust and the max recommended any way is 2.75"

Personally I dont think a 3" will fit as it will touch in places. Its already quite tight in places.

The opening at the turbo is only 2.something inches anyway.

If you do the exhaust you will see a difference and if you decide to do a chip later you already have a nice exhaust.

Cheers

Marc
Old 14-10-2009, 03:43 PM
buddha's beast

After travelling over 2000ks home with my new BD system, I have noticed that the first 'support' bolt below the turbo has sheered off. This is the one which supports the 'vertical' pipe from the turbo down to the first bend.

Can anyone tell me how I can fix this. The thread is still there, but the head is gone.

Is this bracket support really neccesary ???

I will post pics if needed...
Old 14-10-2009, 04:10 PM

Default Size vs power/revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbz View Post
In terms of exhaust size, could you get away with a 3inch exhaust and not install a performance chip? - has anyone done this?

Cheers
Paul
HI Paul, I have a BD ceramic dump pipe (no cat), and a 2.5" custom exhaust with a muffler 'shell', all of it fitted by a very capable guy in Liverpool. It sounds much the same as the stock system, ie: ordinary (at least compared to a Ducati or a V8 !).

Following lots of research, mainly on this forum, I decided to go with the 2.5" because I wanted low-down power/torque - this is what the smaller diameter exhaust gives, whilst the larger systems provide extra grunt further up the rev range.

The extra urge isn't all that noticeable, but fuel consumption improved about 10-20%. The really big difference came when I turned on the DP chip, which was fitted before the exhaust so I could compare things. The chip/dump/exhaust combination is very effective at producing extra power/torque, in my case it's about a 15% increase (butt dyno) between about 1,700-2,400rpm. I'd have liked it to come in a little lower still, but the chip may be able to be programmed that way - yet to see if that's possible.
Old 14-10-2009, 04:26 PM

Thanks Nici,

I ended up going with the 2.75 inch beaudesert exhaust no cat and love it.

Cheers
Paul

Old 14-10-2009, 04:28 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbutler View Post
I have one, 2.75 from turbo back.

I have no cat but only one large (standard) muffler. It is only a little louder than usual but the turbo spools up alot quicker.

No real difference to noise in cabin (except for turbo blow off, you know when you let off the throttle whilst on boost).

I would recommend this kit, it took me longer to take the old one off then to put the new one on. The only problem i had was that i have a Kaymar rear bar and the last pick up point on the exhaust had to be extended to make sure the tip didn't rub on the Kaymar bracket. You would have been no issue with standard bumper.

Would you like a sound recording sent PM?
Hi mate,

Any chance you could post a sound file up in here? Just i'm looking at this soon for mine and am wondering what sort of noise i will end up with?

Cheers, Cam.
Old 14-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Buy the Patrol Back

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbz View Post

Cheers
Paul
Will be doing it tonight all being equall have a 3" no cat or muffler etc ready to go bar one hole to drill and a nut to weld...

Cheers
Old 15-11-2009, 03:51 PM
buddha's beast

A mate who is doing an exhaust apprenticeship, told me that a few 3 litre owners are removing the large muffler and just running a straight piece. Apparently he has done a few lately.

Anyone done this to the wagon and are there any benefits.

When I ordered my BD system, they actually asked me if I wanted the rear muffler or a straight through piece.

Thoughts anyone ???
Old 15-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Princess Twit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post
A mate who is doing an exhaust apprenticeship, told me that a few 3 litre owners are removing the large muffler and just running a straight piece. Apparently he has done a few lately.

Anyone done this to the wagon and are there any benefits.

When I ordered my BD system, they actually asked me if I wanted the rear muffler or a straight through piece.

Thoughts anyone ???
I got my beauy exhaust a few years ago now and went with the high flow cat and straight through , no mufflers , system .
It overboosted whilst towing after that because of the bigger free flowing exhaust . Got boost re-adjusted via the vnt grub screw and all was sweet including the exhaust note .
Old 15-11-2009, 08:13 PM

Default Hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post
After travelling over 2000ks home with my new BD system, I have noticed that the first 'support' bolt below the turbo has sheered off. This is the one which supports the 'vertical' pipe from the turbo down to the first bend.

Can anyone tell me how I can fix this. The thread is still there, but the head is gone.

Is this bracket support really neccesary ???

I will post pics if needed...
Hey - I just read this.. I know its a month or so ago... I had the EXACT same thing happen to my BD system after a few months.. the metal just snapped on this support...

It is since hanging loose - I wonder if the extra "support" is needed.

Cheers

Marc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification