Diesel Chips / Diesel Engine Tuning: How its done - Page 2 - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GU/GR

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 05:07 PM

Sorry for the quick semi hijack

My 3.0 Gu 4 2005 model just crapped itself. Short story:

Rebuilt engine, new injectors,glow plugs and other bits, having injector pump assessed.

I had a safari dtronic chip in he car when. Bought it.

Question: do I remove the dtronic chip prior to starting and running in the engine and then reinstall it, or do I leave it installed for he whole process?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Either way is acceptable.
The Dtronics are tuned for standard vehicles so should not impact engine running like alot of other chips will.

How did the engine die?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:04 PM

It died well - with it's boots on.

Actually it was driving fine - went through a round about - shuddered. Blew white smoke - drove on a bit then shuddered to a halt.

When my mate (mechanic) and i pulled the glow plugs out the 3&4 th had melted to stumps.

The 3rd and 4th cylinders are a mess. Easier to swap for a remanufactured engine than pull mine apart.

You are only supposed to get 120K Km from a diesel aren't you?

oh well - it is only money - lots of money.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Part of the furniture around here

Garage

Noting the general unreliability of the Dtronic units, I wouldn't be surprised if it might have had something to do with the failure. I had a Dtronic for around seven years, but when I got the first unit it didn't do a thing. I went back to ARB and they had shelf loads that were DoA and I had to ferret through something like five new units before I found one that made a material difference. The DPChip, by comparison, provided a significant improvement over the Dtronic. I believe that ARB eventually they stopped selling them, because they were so problematic.

Cheers

Ray
Old 08-01-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray! View Post
Noting the general unreliability of the Dtronic units, I wouldn't be surprised if it might have had something to do with the failure. I had a Dtronic for around seven years, but when I got the first unit it didn't do a thing. I went back to ARB and they had shelf loads that were DoA and I had to ferret through something like five new units before I found one that made a material difference. The DPChip, by comparison, provided a significant improvement over the Dtronic. I believe that ARB eventually they stopped selling them, because they were so problematic.

Cheers

Ray
It is actually the harness that were used that were the problem.
100% of all those chips you saw would have been in perfect working order.

Until Dastek took control of their own harness manufacturing company, none of the looms that used to be used were reliable (something like 15% fail rate)

I still wire in Dtronic's that have problematic looms to this day. Soon as its taken out of the picture, no more problems.

Sounds like the glow plugs continue to cause issues for ZD30 owners.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:30 AM
Part of the furniture around here

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTuner View Post
It is actually the harness that were used that were the problem.
100% of all those chips you saw would have been in perfect working order.
That's interesting, even Safari, who were distributing them appeared to have no idea. Mind you, the units that I went through, I didn't change the harness, just the unit until I found one that worked.

Cheers

Ray
Old 27-01-2012, 11:21 PM

Good to see an unbiased explanation of how all the chips work and what they do exactly to benefit. but the question I have and I'm sure many people are asking them selves is which one do I buy? If the cost of the chip is not an issue and power/torque/realiabilty is what I want, I was always under the impression that you should try go with the company closest to you, not for the sake of service but more so because the chips are tuned to the climate in which they are in. For example I am about to purchase a chip and I have a manufacturer that has developed their chip within the town I live in. So to me it was the obvious choice. I will certainly be asking them the above mentioned questions regarding before and after results of the physical data. But I'm wondering weather a different chip may be the one for me. As I said cost is not an issue (within reason) If the results of one chip greatly better then results of another for the sake of a few hundred dollars more then I will pay the extra money. At the end of the day everyone wants the best out of the vehicles and nobody likes breakin down on the side of the road. Or worse. Hundreds of klms from any help.
Another quick question, one such manufacture promises boost increases for the di 3.0L patrols from 16 psi to 22psi. Yet the zd30 ddti engine has a vnt turbo an you said you should not increase more then 1-2 psi. So it gets me wondering weather that I should stay clear of them.
Sorry for the long post but tuning is something that has always interested me but never had it explained like you have done. So thanks alot!!! Been a real help.
Old 28-01-2012, 02:23 PM

Great article mate, thanks for your effort as I learned a lot from it!

Here are two other good articles focused on CRD:
Common Rail Diesel Engine Management, Part 1
Common Rail Diesel Engine Management, Part 2
Old 28-01-2012, 05:07 PM

The 3.0L DI runs about 14psi standard. Taking this up to 17-18psi is not a worry, but anything past 20 and I would begin to question the longevity of the turbo.

As you have said though, ask the questions, shop around and go with who you are most comfortable with.
Old 29-01-2012, 10:44 PM

If you were going to buy a chip would it be worthwhile having the car (in this case a patrol CRD) dyno tuned before the chip went in or after, or both?
It seems like just having the car dyno tuned without the installation of a chip can be quite beneficial because factory tunes are not geared for power/torque. So would having a well tuned engine as a base be better for chipping?
Old 30-01-2012, 01:52 PM

There is no way to tune the engine without installing an aftermarket chip.
Only by reflashing, but that is very rarely done anyhow on Nissan diesels.

Installing just a pressure chip allows you to adjust fuel pressure only.
Injector extension allows you to adjust close of injector point only.
So neither of them are really helping with engine efficiency, they are just pumping in more fuel.

A chip that does boost control, very beneficial, more air helps the fuel burn.
A chip that controls start of injection point and all the other stuff is obviously going to get you alot more torque and economy than the more basic chips.

So really to call it 'Tuning the engine' You have to have access to alot more than just one aspect (fuel pressure)
You need access to how much fuel, when its injected, how much air, and compensation based off other sensors.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:19 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTuner View Post
There is no way to tune the engine without installing an aftermarket chip.
Only by reflashing, but that is very rarely done anyhow on Nissan diesels.

Installing just a pressure chip allows you to adjust fuel pressure only.
Injector extension allows you to adjust close of injector point only.
So neither of them are really helping with engine efficiency, they are just pumping in more fuel.

A chip that does boost control, very beneficial, more air helps the fuel burn.
A chip that controls start of injection point and all the other stuff is obviously going to get you alot more torque and economy than the more basic chips.

So really to call it 'Tuning the engine' You have to have access to alot more than just one aspect (fuel pressure)
You need access to how much fuel, when its injected, how much air, and compensation based off other sensors.
Gday mate,

With all this in mind, would you recommend installing a unichip?
If so where are they sold?
Old 19-02-2012, 02:18 PM

Very good information to read and absorb, much better that tafe books.

Is there any information available for the Donator Speedbox from Italy?
Old 20-02-2012, 09:25 PM

Garage

Hi Dieseltuner,
did you have any more on the non- CRD chips.
i got DI guIV and i am thinking about a chipit as i understand i can 'change ' tunes to suit.
my current SteinBauer is good but it connect direct to fuelpump nothing else.. do you know or any chips for DI that have other connections and maybe do an improved job of air/fuel mix??

ta
kez
Old 20-02-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry_066 View Post
Hi Dieseltuner,
did you have any more on the non- CRD chips.
i got DI guIV and i am thinking about a chipit as i understand i can 'change ' tunes to suit.
my current SteinBauer is good but it connect direct to fuelpump nothing else.. do you know or any chips for DI that have other connections and maybe do an improved job of air/fuel mix??

ta
kez
As far as im aware only unichip can control other functions such as timing on the non CRD (and crd for that matter) engines.

Chipit does boost, but I dont know if the chip they sell for the di zd30 does boost? I dont think so.

To control boost on those early ones its a simple matter of intercepting the air flow meter and feeding a smaller voltage back to the ecu so it ramps the vanes up though.
Old 22-02-2012, 07:32 AM

Garage

K thanks D.T.
i just heard back from mullow . The chip it for DI reads boost and throtle to decide the fuel ... Ib think thats what said. Can also tune via laptop.

i have not seen unichip advert. Do u know how i can more info?

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk
Old 24-02-2012, 10:43 AM

Very good post. I would be removing the link to any supplier that is not willing to provide information directly to the people that their products are aimed at. No point rewarding poor behaviour with a free plug.

Regards,
g@z.
Old 28-02-2012, 10:41 AM

They plug into the map sensor and use a voltage clamp to stop any limp mode through over boost.

The TPS wire is same as steinbauer use and is there to turn the chip on or off below a certain threshold so your not running around with more fuel at cruise or idle.

g@z, yeah still waiting on info from them mate. All the messages just go unanswered unfortunately.
Would have been a great time for them to jump at the opportunity to explain their product and justify to the general public why its worth buying.
Old 29-02-2012, 11:45 PM

Garage

we do not clamp the voltage on the patrols due to the over boosting issues with the di it is another voltage refance so we don't over fuel when there is no boost
CRD Member #111
EGT/Boost/Intake Temp Gauge Scangauge 2XChipit Chip & Petrol Injection 325/80R16 Tyers 5inch Lift BullBar Snorkel 26Psi Boost 160 RWHP
"Captin 600 "
Old 01-03-2012, 05:16 PM

Awesome post DT. I don't think many people would mind if this were as long as War and Peace, as long as it makes sense. Took me most of the day at work to read it, but well worth it.

One question regarding EGT, are you saying that it isn't necessary to have the EGT probe and monitor EGT's with say Chipit (just using theirs as an example only as I know they have them) as it isn't really an indication that you are overheating the engine, or is it worth having it there as something like a pre-indicator that the engine is pushing too hard and is in threat of being damaged. Is the temp gauge in the cluster enough to give protection if it is monitored?

Cheers

Mike