Diesel Chips / Diesel Engine Tuning: How its done - Page 3 - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GU/GR

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 06:33 PM

Hi Mullow,
Just to update you re the issues I was having with the Chipit module.
I installed the replacement loom - additional earthing point.
Whilst it has only been a few days - at this stage seems to have settled the chip down

Cheers
Guido
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2012, 06:05 PM

Default Egt

DieselTuner,
Are you saying that it isn't necessary to monitor Exhaust Gas Temps such as some of the chip manufacturers suggest?

Question is though, if EGT aren't giving a reliable indication of what the temp going through your pistons are, what should be used, is the water temp gauge in the dash cluster enough to give an adequate indication of whether you are doing damage to your car?

I am currently looking at either a Chipit or Unichip, and the Chipit offers an additional module for EGT monitoring, but is it worth it for the extra money to be spent.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

It gives an indication of whats going on, but its not always the most accurate.

The gauge for water temp is not really a good indicator either, but the water temp input to the ecu is.

The unichip also has facility for egt input as an option, but uses water temp as standard on all diesel cars.
You can use both, and even air temp for correction if you want to.
And not just to reduce fueling.
You can actually increase boost to lower egt's if you want.

The best thing about it is its actually linear, not an on off switch with the unichip. It has boundaries you set and it will pull fuel/add boost etc.. to keep the engine in check and maintain as much power as possible.

In short, yes the egt module is worth the extra money weather its unichip or chipit.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-04-2012, 03:03 PM

Default TD42T versus TD42Ti

Originally posted this question in the response thread by mistake.

DieselTuner - I have a question relating to the difference between the older TD42T diesel pump versus the newer versions found on the intercooled TD42Ti (03 onwards) and power output.

Question comes from the fact that I have heard stories in relation to people's preference to use the older style pumps (pre intercooler models) saying they can get better performance results from them due to less restrictions, ie. injection timing controls? Is this true? What has your experience been?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:46 PM

There is no reason why the electronic pump cant outperform the early version.

It has electronically adjustable timing... Meaning with proper control using a piggyback (unichip) you can adjust that timing to suit torque production, not just emission targets.

I personally wouldnt be getting rid of the electronic timing pump to be honest.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:48 PM

Dieseltuner it might help if you got all your facts right. Tunit are not the manufacturer just a reseller of a German chip. Its been mentioned on plenty of forums so I'll leave that bit of detective work for you Im surprised such an obvious error and makes me wonder about all the other info youve posted now. Only a small mistake but a mistake none the less
Old 16-05-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTuner View Post
There is no reason why the electronic pump cant outperform the early version.

It has electronically adjustable timing... Meaning with proper control using a piggyback (unichip) you can adjust that timing to suit torque production, not just emission targets.

I personally wouldnt be getting rid of the electronic timing pump to be honest.

So you are saying you can chip a late model 4.2? Do you have more info on this? what gains would be expected from this upgrade?

Cheers
Old 17-05-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzytraveller View Post
Dieseltuner it might help if you got all your facts right. Tunit are not the manufacturer just a reseller of a German chip. Its been mentioned on plenty of forums so I'll leave that bit of detective work for you Im surprised such an obvious error and makes me wonder about all the other info youve posted now. Only a small mistake but a mistake none the less
Well excuse me for not keeping up with every shred of information available on the internet.

Please allow me to link you part of my original post that you have obviously not bothered to read in its entirety, but would rather try to take something out of context.

Companies:
CRD Only. Below is from my knowledge of the chips I have used. I wont speculate on any that I have not, so there will be a few brands that are not in this... Yet.
Some of what is below may be inaccurate and I am more than happy to change any details upon request if anybody points out something I have missed from a product line up, or something that is inaccurate.
I cant keep up with every manufacturer every day of the week, so please refrain from becoming angry if I have made an error. Simply report it and I will amend.

Now, please.. Show me some factual information so I can make this thread accurate for everybody. Rather than making a complete ass of yourself..
Old 17-05-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Yobbo View Post
So you are saying you can chip a late model 4.2? Do you have more info on this? what gains would be expected from this upgrade?

Cheers
I am simply saying the electronic timing control module can be adjusted.

Its not a plug and play chip upgrade, I dont know what the gains would be, and no I have never done it before.
Old 17-05-2012, 11:32 PM

Are there any good chips for the navara 550. Have heard of a company susposebly reflashing there computers.
Old 17-05-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTuner View Post
I am simply saying the electronic timing control module can be adjusted.

Its not a plug and play chip upgrade, I dont know what the gains would be, and no I have never done it before.
I had fish and chips today, will this make my 4.2 go better?
Old 17-05-2012, 11:42 PM

Only if its Barramundi mate
Old 17-05-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tye1986 View Post
Are there any good chips for the navara 550. Have heard of a company susposebly reflashing there computers.
Unichip does it, has done for many years so far on that engine.
Old 17-05-2012, 11:44 PM

Have you got any results from them? Be interested in one haven't read about any body doing one as yet.
Old 17-05-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseltuner View Post
only if its barramundi mate
lol
Old 18-05-2012, 12:00 AM

Just wanted to make we are both talking bout the v6 turbo Diesel navara? Didn't think that engine had been out for years.
Old 18-05-2012, 12:06 AM

Yeah it has been around for quite a while in Europe. Without looking at exact dates Id say 3 years.

I dont have any results to post up yet. I have the drawing's and access to pnp looms but no willing participants as of yet.
Old 18-05-2012, 12:12 AM

No any info bout the company they suposebly reflashes the computer?
Old 18-05-2012, 12:38 AM

Rumours and more rumours, thats about it.
I know people that can do the nissan ecu's in diesels but its not easy and everything is in code.
So just trying to do injection pulse width is hours of work to disassemble that source code.
Old 18-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Rogue

Thanked 1,739 Times in 1,262 Posts
Garage

Unichips sound the goods, but there is no info on the net about fitters and dealers. Pretty poor business for such a supposedly good product. If I could get one fit in Shepp I'ld be booking it in, unless there is someone in Lilydale/Ringwood area that can do it on a Weekend.

Shame

I used to have Patrols

Must be beer o'clock