Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Dump Pipe Replacement, what to do?

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Sydo 
#1 ·
After searching the site for the past hour and reading countless pages I'm still a bit lost on what to do with replacing my dump pipe.

Some time ago I noticed the 3lt started making a slight sound as if it had a blow off valve (sneezing whistling sound), but now its getting louder and is the result of a split or hole in the dump pipe. Must say it was cool at first but its giving me the screaming abdabs..:crazy:

So Im looking at a replacement but do I go with or without the cat?

Any thoughts on without the cat and what benefit would there be over one with?

Cheers and thanks.

Remmy

#3 ·
Just to add to sydo i dont think theres any difference between cat or catless in performance or egts. Chaz for one has had both cat and catless and his observations were nothing reportable.

So go illegall and cheaper catless
Be legal with cat a few hundred clams more. Your choice

#4 ·
To add again, mate it's up to you and where you live, for me a 2 3/4" 200 cell has worked well for me. The lower the number the higher the flow and less efficient it is at screening the gasses, but you may be hard pressed to really notice the difference between a 200 and a 300. The std Dump is around 700 cell, off course this adds restriction.

Up here in QLD the chances of being caught out with an illegal exhaust is much smaller than in NSW ie, and then if you are down there (we don't know your general area) then you also have to consider annual inspections and test requirements and the possibility that you may have to remove a "Fake Cat" annually for those checks.

Personally I don't see the point in taking the risk, there is a cat that will suit your vehicle and keep it legal.

#5 ·
My local exhaust joint made one up for me for $80
he already had the dump flange and the 3 bolt flange for the other end so He made up a pipe 2.5" off the back of the turbo into 3" (as you cant go 3" directly off the back of the turbo the outlet isnt big enough)

#6 ·
Remmy,
where are you located?
What size exhaust do you already have.

I am in the process of getting rid of any gear that I do not need and have a surplus dump and cat. It is a 3" stainless steel dump pipe, into 4" high flow cat from Taipan Vortex system. It also has a threaded lug for fitting a pyrometer for EGT. Let me know if you are interested.

You would need to have a flange welded to your exhaust to fit it and it would be perfect if you already have 2.75 or 3" exhaust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.