Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

GU 98 2.8 deisel to GU 4.2 deisel engine conversion

10K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Toey 
#1 · (Edited)
i own a Gu 2.8 slug with a blown gearbox, i just got offered a 4.2 which is currently in a Gu ute which has been rolled over from my uncle. can anyone give me any tips on doing the conversion?...i.e. will the motor and box bolt straight in to the existing mounts, what wiring do i need to modify, and anything else handy you can advise me on before i dive in....
cheers, Buzn.

#2 ·
buzn,

The guys you need to contact will be White Wizard and BIG GQ, these guys did a similiar swap a couple of months ago on a bare chassis. I think the big drama they had was different engine mounts (the mount welded to chassis, not rubber mount) was different, I don't think there was any dramas with gearbox mounting position.

Hope that helps in the meantime.

James

#3 ·
More

You'll need both diff centres and the gearbox as well, your truck uses the same t-case.

It would be ideal if you can get the entire drive train from the ute. This will save splitting the t-case/gearbox on your truck.

Your diffs are a fair bit shorter (in ratio) but if you go up a few tyre sizes they'll be perfect.

Any competent auto electrician can suss the electrics over.

#4 ·
there is BIG wiring mods to do,
sorry mate
both electronic systems are completely different.
the looms, compoineents and computers are both differant and will be very expensize and time consuming to modify. and reliabilty is the major factor
sorry :(

#5 ·
Depends

If the GU donor ute is before the electronically controlled pump models the then entire engine loom can be pirated from the ute and matched to the chassis loom of the wagon.

It depends what condition the ute loom is in but don't give up on the swap just yet. This swap has been done by people on these boards before so there's obviously people with the skills to do the job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.