Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

GU series 4 pimpily dash

29K views 130 replies 87 participants last post by  AndrieK 
#1 ·
Nissan's bubbling Dashboard woes

Just got my truck back from it's fourth attempt at getting my dashboard replaced due to it bubbling.

Attempts as follows:

1st. Attempt one - oh its a dashboard - we thought you wanted a dashmat. Yes that's right people obviously book car's in to have dashmat's installed WTF!

2nd. After being in the shop for four hours - phone call - sorry we forgot to order the dashboard....

3rd. After being in for four hours - sorry the dashboard has been broken in transit.....

4th. This time courtesy car thrown in. After 6 hours - uhm....the new dashboard has bubbles in it too! Advice from Nissan is that all their stock of dashboard's are subject to bubbling therefore a new order has been placed to come from Japan...don't worry next time we will come to you - pick up your truck and deliver it back......

Anyone else hear about this mass dashboard problem?

See less See more
#3 ·
Mine is bubbling too. But if I'd prefer a bubble or two rather than ever deal with Nissan Australia again.

There are now three GU patrols in nowra with a huge sticker on the rear window

" I will never buy another Nissan"

I have to get one!

#4 ·
GU Deano

If you get hold of one of those stickers, please get a second and let me know, I'll send you the postage, etc.

Spartan

From your description of incompetence, it sounds like either Darwin or Cairns Nissan.

My dash was replaced by Atherton Nissan, in half the time they advertised, and was right the first time. :cup:

Sadly, the dealer's stirling service isn't enough to convince me to buy another Nissan. :ranting:

#5 ·
Metro Nissan Brisbane.....

My Dash started with a couple of bubble about a month ago...and now there about 100...getting worse.....

This will be only thing I'm taking to Nissan to do....

Whilst I've been waiting I've seen there mechanics..... seriously they look as if they are 12 years old.....

Funny thing an old guy I was waiting with said to the service manager....is that guy old enough to drive? His questions was serious....

I'm very happy with my truck - just not the dashboard - or the Nissan Dealer....

#7 ·
05 GUIV got the bubbles

mainey88 said:
Are these bubbling dashboards year or model specific as I have never had one bubble on me ??

Cheers :cool:
Mine is has the bubbles started about a month ago, reproducing rapidly, will be replaced under warranty once a new one arrives.

Cheers

#8 · (Edited)
Kerry's

TOPNDR said:
GU Deano

If you get hold of one of those stickers, please get a second and let me know, I'll send you the postage, etc.

Spartan

From your description of incompetence, it sounds like either Darwin or Cairns Nissan.

My dash was replaced by Atherton Nissan, in half the time they advertised, and was right the first time. :cup:

Sadly, the dealer's stirling service isn't enough to convince me to buy another Nissan. :ranting:
You took the words right out of my mouth, I was gunna say Kerry's in Darwin for sure. Mine started bubbling around 30,000kms and was changed at 60,000. Scratches everywhere, and was told "it wasn't our mechs, it's general wear and tear from me". I must be one of those people that don't look after their car and don't know it back to front. F*@ken arseholes.
Got told at 40,000 that drivers seat needed an extra washer to stop movement. Every service after I was told that there was nothing wrong, it must have been my imagination every time I braked or turned a corner that the seat moved. After much frustration and swearing at the service manager, in order to keep what's left of my hair, I'll just put up with it. I decided to try again at the 90,000, guess what, I need new seat rails, NO ****.

#10 ·
Nissan dealers, that reminds me, how my 4.8 automatic was slow at engaging first gear even when the car was new. If u step on it too fast, it would slam into gear, or if u slowed down and then tried to speed up it would take a few seconds to get into gear- horrible on roundabouts and in the wet.

Sounds like low transmission fluid- Went to Nissan dealer several times, they said they checked and changed the fluid and they cant explain why it does it, but its within tolerances. Problem is with this transmission is that there is no dipstick, nothing you or a mechanic can check, as well as using the ultra rare J matic fluid that ui can only buy by the barrel. Even the manual says go to your nissan dealer for service"

Fast forward about 160,000km and the problem is getting worse, even disengaging from gear in reverse. Tried again Nissan Dealer, without going into the problem, just asked them to change the fluid.

SURE ENOUGH IT FIXED THE PROBLEM.

U know its one thing to try to get some honesty and service from these MORONS but that the 4.8 auto trans. cant be serviced by anyone other than nissan is just criminal- coz i or a mechanic would have done this long ago.:mad:

sorry to hijack

#12 ·
wow, coz my mechanic spoke to nissan australia and they said yes, but they have to get it from japan. After waiting over a week they had sent that litte rubber cap:/ Thanks for the heads up tho!

#16 ·
bubbling dash

Live in Wyndham. have 1995 Patrol ST-L 4.2ltr. Have just had dash start to resemble a bad case of measles. Will attempt to get fixed under warranty... Also have ongoing problem with aircon cutting out whenever i tow the caravan. Has done it from day one. Nissan pulled apart cooling system etc etc still same issue. Problem is the issue doesnt appear during nice cool workshop testing.
My view... last patrol i will own. Now looking at change over whilst still some warranty left. Not a happy Nissan owner.

#17 ·
smileey said:
Live in Wyndham. have 1995 Patrol ST-L 4.2ltr. Have just had dash start to resemble a bad case of measles. Will attempt to get fixed under warranty... Also have ongoing problem with aircon cutting out whenever i tow the caravan. Has done it from day one. Nissan pulled apart cooling system etc etc still same issue. Problem is the issue doesnt appear during nice cool workshop testing.
My view... last patrol i will own. Now looking at change over whilst still some warranty left. Not a happy Nissan owner.
Gday smileey.
I had the aircon cut out on my 06 4.2, and that was on hot day of 38C, and that was without towing anything, just the wife and two boys on board and sitting on 110kph. I reported it to my local dealers service manager and he told me that the 4.2 has always had a problem with the cooling system overheating. Apparently the engines cooling system has a fail safe built in, so when the engine starts to overheat it cuts out the aircon compressor so the engine can start to cool down. I also got told that the temp gauge does not read true and that the engine once hot takes a long time to cool down. The only way to cool it properly is to stop the engine and let it sit for a while. I know what your saying, it is a great engine but nissan has a lot to answer for in regards to the cooling system. cheers

#19 ·
Smiley,

Some two years or so ago I met a bloke at a camping spot in the NT, he was enroute to Darwin in a 4.2 cab/chasis towing a big mother trailer. We compared notes.

His 4.2 had suffered with overheating too, his solution, a bigger radiator.

#20 ·
This is the first of bubbling dash's, just curious, I know they shoudnt bubble, but does excessive parking in the sun contribute to this problem?
Do the patrols with the problem alwys parked under cover?
:confused:

#107 ·
bubling dash

My trol started bubling around 40,000ks only comes out of garage on week ends & when its parked has a sun protector & some have had dash mats from new so you cant blame the sun. I had mine changed by Macarthur Nissan in Cambeltown very arrogant service manager but the job they done was perfect i cant fault it. So if you can get over the arrogance you should get a good job.

#21 ·
bigger rad?

Yeah i have looked at the prospect of gettn a bigger radiator... however i have a big issue with having to folk out around $1000 for something that is a design fault. Anyhow i have just booked it in again for another look as well as written a complain to Nissan Australia. As for the dash... i live in a hot place where the sun is quite harsh but park in shade as much as i can. Obviously there is more to this problem judging by the locations of some of the vehicles with the dash probs. Anyhow will post on here Nissans reply, if any.

#22 ·
baron said:
Gday smileey.
I had the aircon cut out on my 06 4.2, and that was on hot day of 38C, and that was without towing anything, just the wife and two boys on board and sitting on 110kph. I reported it to my local dealers service manager and he told me that the 4.2 has always had a problem with the cooling system overheating. Apparently the engines cooling system has a fail safe built in, so when the engine starts to overheat it cuts out the aircon compressor so the engine can start to cool down. I also got told that the temp gauge does not read true and that the engine once hot takes a long time to cool down. The only way to cool it properly is to stop the engine and let it sit for a while. I know what your saying, it is a great engine but nissan has a lot to answer for in regards to the cooling system. cheers
Had this problem too, the problem is there is too much gas refrigerant in the aircon system. When everything heats up it expands further and the fail safe cuts the air-con before it bursts etc.. Take some of the gas out (obviously not too much!) and it shouldnt have to turn off anymore.

#24 ·
baron said:
Gday smileey.
I've got a workmate with a 4.2, same issue, aircon cutting out and temp rising on and off. Was advised to check all the usual suspects, radiator, thermostat, water pump. Nissan had a fix which was to change temp switch at bottom of radiator (apparently has different settings). His final advice came from an engine reco joint in Darwin. Had seen it alot. $500/$600 head service (clean and skim). Runs cooler even doing 130k's in the territory during a 45degree day. Apparently the head had low point around the water ports/holes. The machine shop guys said it would be enough for water to sit in these recess and boil enough under load.
Hope this helps some of you 4.2ers.

#25 ·
Luke001 said:
Don't know about that, the patrol I'm buying has a blistered dash and it's a 2005 build.
Yep mines a June 2005 build and it has had the dash replaced same as my mates 2005 DX.

Only issue is they stuffed the speedo somehow during the replacement and now it has to go back. After all 3rd party accessories are de-wired of course.

#26 ·
Checked in with Nissan dealer Kununurra, WA. ordered new dash under warranty from Nissan. Same day i was in there service dept had another customer from down sth rock up with bubbling dash. Also drive a Nissan work car in Broome later same week..... same problem on dash. Obviously an issue. Anyhow wiating for new one and getting it changed. As for my overheating woes, apparently Nissan Kununurra have told me they have a fix for that as well.
Hmmm maybe things are finally looking good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.