Mechanical Diesel Engine Tuning - No Chips! - Page 3 - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GU/GR

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Send a message via MSN to BeNos

No it only effects off boost fuel. Once boost is applied and the diaphragm slides down it is no longer in contact with the grub screw.
Rotating the diaphragm Pin will affect fuel delivery range
Adjusting the spring underneath effects how quick the diaphragm moves as boost is starting to apply.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2
New Bus
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to BeNos For This Useful Post:
tassie patrol (15-09-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-09-2013, 01:13 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNos View Post
No it only effects off boost fuel. Once boost is applied and the diaphragm slides down it is no longer in contact with the grub screw.
Rotating the diaphragm Pin will affect fuel delivery range
Adjusting the spring underneath effects how quick the diaphragm moves as boost is starting to apply.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2
Cheers BeNos, just learning my way around the turbo friendly pumps and how they work

88 GQ wagon, L76 (LS2) V8

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 15-09-2013, 09:20 AM

Send a message via MSN to BeNos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassie patrol View Post
Cheers BeNos, just learning my way around the turbo friendly pumps and how they work
No worries I only really worked it out thru looking and trial and error myself. It's fairly simple once you get your head around it.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4
New Bus
The Following User Says Thank You to BeNos For This Useful Post:
tassie patrol (15-09-2013)

Old 20-09-2013, 06:25 PM

great thread!

I am a bit familar with petrol turbo's and basic tuning as far as more boost + fuel + timming = quicker spool, more power (Kw) & torque throughout the rev range and top end speed. But I know little about the dark art of diesel turbo's.

If I want 'more meat under the curve' on the dyno graph for my turbo (intercooled) diesel, i.e. on the dyno it shows quicker spool, more mid range and better top end (again regardless of fuel) is this possible, or are there trade offs with top end power/torque V's early spool or midrange torque?

For example do I need to sacrifice top end speed to get more low down torque?
Old 20-09-2013, 11:22 PM

The only limitation to what you can achieve is how big your budget is.

If your sticking with conventional turbochargers yeah you trade off low/mid/high range power based on the size of it.

If your using compound or variable nozzle then its a different ball game completely.
Old 21-09-2013, 01:03 PM
The Cable Guy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune View Post
great thread!

I am a bit familar with petrol turbo's and basic tuning as far as more boost + fuel + timming = quicker spool, more power (Kw) & torque throughout the rev range and top end speed. But I know little about the dark art of diesel turbo's.

If I want 'more meat under the curve' on the dyno graph for my turbo (intercooled) diesel, i.e. on the dyno it shows quicker spool, more mid range and better top end (again regardless of fuel) is this possible, or are there trade offs with top end power/torque V's early spool or midrange torque?

For example do I need to sacrifice top end speed to get more low down torque?
Check out Scuba's holiday truck build.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:29 PM

Great read, thanks for writing it.
I have a GQ td42 that I just put a turbo on. People told me about installing a boot compensator but I didn't quite get it.
Is it something that can easily be installed on a GQ pump or does that involve a rebuild?
I know it has a vacuum solenoid for aircon
Old 08-10-2013, 08:17 PM
The Cable Guy

Garage

Get it rebuilt at the same time if it is a stock or tired GQ pump mate. You don't have to look too far on this website to find who you should send it to.

Not sure what turbo you have installed but it doesn't take much before the old pump will run out of legs.
Old 27-10-2013, 10:57 PM

Gave the pump a tickle on my td42t today, has 3" dump and zorst, after some trial and error I have settled on this:
Spun the compensator pin, removed one of the pin shims/spacers (the thicker of the two is still fitted), backed off the spring tension about 3/4 turn and set boost at around 13/14 pound. Turbo, air box and intake all std and is not intercooled yet, egt's are safe and only the ever so slightest mist of black smoke down low off boost.
Bottom end grunt is so much better now and the car drives 10 times better than before, my main question is when I intercool this thing (most likely with a CC top mount) and do other supporting intake mods, what's the best method to get more fuel in? I'm guessing to remove the remaining pin spacer but I'm unsure if this will cause issues, will the pin top/bottom out on something internally due to the extra stroke? Is there a limit on how thin you can go with the spacer with the std fuel pin/pump?
Old 10-11-2013, 01:41 PM

Default What about excess fuel usage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTuner View Post
The only limitation to what you can achieve is how big your budget is.

If your sticking with conventional turbochargers yeah you trade off low/mid/high range power based on the size of it.

If your using compound or variable nozzle then its a different ball game completely.
Hi DieselTuner, I've got a 2006 GUiv TD42 which is already factory intercooled and I am the original owner. It has 160 thousand klms on the clock. The only engine mod is a 75mm exhaust with a Redback dump pipe and NO muffler. I get good mileage out of it - around 11.5 litres per 100ks. The power I get out of it is acceptable but nearly any other diesel 4wd leaves me behind at the lights. I am interested in trying to get some extra kws out of it but not at the expense of excessive fuel consumption. I've been to a few places on Brisbane northside and they all claim they can get me heaps more power without increasing the fuel consumption. I'm sceptical! Of course they'll tell me this - they want my business and money. I'm hoping that as a non-interested party you can give me an honest answer - can I get things done to my engine that will give me a reasonable power increase without sacrificing what I regard as 'pretty good' fuel economy?
Hoping you can help. Deejay, Burpengary.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
Hi DieselTuner, I've got a 2006 GUiv TD42 which is already factory intercooled and I am the original owner. It has 160 thousand klms on the clock. The only engine mod is a 75mm exhaust with a Redback dump pipe and NO muffler. I get good mileage out of it - around 11.5 litres per 100ks. The power I get out of it is acceptable but nearly any other diesel 4wd leaves me behind at the lights. I am interested in trying to get some extra kws out of it but not at the expense of excessive fuel consumption. I've been to a few places on Brisbane northside and they all claim they can get me heaps more power without increasing the fuel consumption. I'm sceptical! Of course they'll tell me this - they want my business and money. I'm hoping that as a non-interested party you can give me an honest answer - can I get things done to my engine that will give me a reasonable power increase without sacrificing what I regard as 'pretty good' fuel economy?
While I'm obviously not DT, il share my experience with my td42t gu wagon.
Bought it a year and a half ago with 280k and a stock as a rock engine.
It remained stock for about 3 months until I gradually gave it power ups once I saved some coin.
From the day I drove it home from Sydney to Newy it returned 14lph on 31's unloaded 2 inch lift. It came with winch, front bar, rear kamar, scrub bars and outback draws. Not sure on initial weight, I'm guessing 2850kg.

I have sinced installed 3" exhaust, 33's, big front mount cooler, timing adjusted, fuel pump maxed out, air box lid mod, boost at 15psi max, and added a crap load more weight with all my work tools and added to wind resistance with a tradey rack carrying ladders and planks etc.
My rig with fuel and me in it weights roughly 3200kg every day of the week and when I'm towing my trailer I'm close to 4t daily.

My fuel usage now is ALWAYS 15.5 lph.
Doesn't matter if I'm loaded or unloaded, I'm not sure on factory power outputs? I think on 31's they return 75rwkw, I had my truck in for a power run the other day before my new turbo arrives and i made 95rwkw on 33's. Again that's with a tired pump that won't get egts over 400 deg.

With a good tune you won't need to drive your rig as hard and should theoretically use the same or less fuel, but men being men we like to exploit our new found power and go faster hence you probably use closer to 13lph if your not loaded or towing anything and running 31's.
Hope that helps
The Following User Says Thank You to simcoe For This Useful Post:
Deejay (30-12-2013)
Old 16-12-2013, 12:06 AM

Nobody can guarantee power gains without sacrificing economy.

It can be done through pump timing and fueling adjustment + more boost but it is not always a given. Generally you can achieve more power and far better drive ability without sacrificing economy, but you have to be pretty switched on to know exactly how to set the pumps up to achieve this.
Old 30-12-2013, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the reply Dieseltuner. Are you associated in any way with A1 Caboolture Exhaust? I only ask because if you are I could drop in and speak to you in person. Or aren't you allowed to make those kinds of details public on this forum?
Thanks, Deejay.
Old 28-01-2014, 08:58 PM

Yes deejay I do work as a mechanic there you can feel free to come down any time to speak to me.
Old 28-01-2014, 09:24 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
My fuel economy wasn't that good when my ute and wagon were standard. now i have new turbos on both and return much better fuel economy. my theory is the engine can get up to speed and hold speed better so Im not having to drive flat out everywhere. wagon now returns 11.5Litres per 100kms and ute loaded and then towing a tonne or 2 has gone from 25L per 100km to 16-17L per 100kms.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:04 PM

Did you have them tuned at the same time the turbo's were changed?
Running more boost?
More timing on the injector pump etc...?
Old 06-04-2014, 04:10 PM

Garage

Can anybody help out with a reputable dyno tuner in Tasmania that's experienced with diesel engines my old mans just moved down there and is having issues with his F150 that has a Cummings 4BT conversion apparently he feels a loss in torque after he had the the injector pump and injectors replaced I'm hoping it might just need a descent tune any ideas guys.

2000 GU ute TD4.2T with stuff
2015 Lotus Freelander offroad caravan
Old 22-04-2014, 07:24 PM

He could buy an air fuel ratio meter and post a video of a 1000-4000rpm run and I can give you an idea of what is going on.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:31 PM

Garage

Guys I`d like ask you what is original/factory adjustment of spring, boost pin and fuel screw?
Regards
Old 04-03-2015, 07:01 PM

Fuel screw is about 10 o'clock looking at it from back of pump.
Boost pin is/was full retard ie 180deg the wrong way.. Lol
Spring seat-can't remember
Off boost fuel- the thread poked out the top of the nut about 3- 4mm(not very precise..)

I'm sure DT may chime in.