Metal or Canvas Canopy - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GU/GR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 05:37 PM

Default Metal or Canvas Canopy

I am in the process of deciding whether to put a metal or canvas canopy on a trayback.

Could anyone who has had any experience with either please give their opionions on the one they think is the best.

I do a bit of outback travelling each year and would use the canopy area as a storage area.

Graham Slater
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2009, 05:47 PM

Mate of mine runs the metal roof and canvas sides and its very useful as you dont loose the ability to store things on the roof and you can hang items high in the tray etc.

Paul

Old 2003 GU Patrol 3.0 TDI Auto
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-02-2009, 07:03 PM

Garage

I built a metal one for my cruiser uterus years back. I liked the style and I used it as a mobile tent so it was all nice and water proof.

Tended to be a bit like Rolf Harris playing "Tie me Kangaroo down" on corrugations but.

Steel Bull Bar, Towbar, Spot lights, tinting, ultra gauge, lots of plastic bits.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:40 PM

Ive got an aluminium frame and roof with vinyl sides, Just cause its alloy doesnt mean its not strong but its still light enough for two people to lift easily
Old 10-02-2009, 08:13 PM

I had an aluminium/insulated canopy on my '00 coil cab which was used for camping/touring.
This suited me as I could have all my gear locked away, water tight and dust proof. I slept init a few times but preferred to roll out the swag or tent.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Twit

Send a message via MSN to Bad Juju

Cummon guys .. PICS
Old 11-02-2009, 03:49 PM

On my GQ I had a welded to tray metal cover. It was really good but heavy.
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/attac...1&d=1234334685

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/attac...1&d=1234334777

I now have a canvas cover over a mesh frame on my GU. The mesh has been designed to unbolt from the tray so I can return it to be a ute which is a great way to go. With the small mesh windows in the front I don't get any dust in the tray either.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/attac...1&d=1234334822

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/attac...1&d=1234334862

If I was doing it again, I would stick with the canvas over mesh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0015_2.jpg (49.0 KB, 514 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0122-1.jpg (43.4 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1021_2-1.jpg (30.6 KB, 501 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1059_2.jpg (49.6 KB, 490 views)
Old 11-02-2009, 04:11 PM

Had canvas on my old lowlux.
Now ive got alluminium on the GU

Alluminium is;
  • Heaps more expensive!
  • Completely lockable dust and water proof.
  • Gull wings give great sun shade and Ok rain shade when U pull up for lunch (Im never more popular than on a realy hot day out 4X4ing with mates or a club when it comes to lucnch/smokeo every barstard wants to hang out under my wings....)
  • Most applications it's difficult to change back to a ute.
  • Won't rip or rot
No regrets for getting the solid canopy for me but it all comes down to your personal preferances and requirements I gues
Old 11-02-2009, 04:33 PM

this is the best i can do at the moment, i dont have my ute atm, i will get a better shot when i get it back

Old 11-02-2009, 04:33 PM

Had a canvas canopy with steel frame and ally roof on my old gu, worked pretty well, was waterproof, not to bad for dust and fairly cheap and easy to build. Went with full ally on the new ute, was about 3 times the price to build and alot more work involved, but is completely lockable and insulated and is colour coded to the car. And as has been said the doors make for good shade on a hot day. Personally i think it is worth the extra cost and work for a solid canopy.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Premium Vendor

g'day ,
i got a steel frame and roof with canvas sides , its light 2 blokes can lift it off easily , the best thing its versatile , you can put stuff on top , if somthings to long you just rollup the canvas , if you scrape a gainst a tree you dont get a dent , and so on, dust isnt a problem (well when i first made it) either is water , i built mine my self the steel work and canvas work , to pay somone to do it ude be suprised the price difference between buying the canvas and gear compared to paying somone to supply and build it ,
id prefer this setup than a full solid one.

cheers , chicken
Old 20-02-2009, 12:13 AM

just fitted a full aluminum canopy to mine with a false floor has 4 jacking legs to take it off cost 4600 inc gst totaly dust and water proof so far, fitting Kenworth sleeper vents to it shortly to help with ventilation
Old 20-02-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlarplant
just fitted a full aluminum canopy to mine with a false floor has 4 jacking legs to take it off cost 4600 inc gst totaly dust and water proof so far, fitting Kenworth sleeper vents to it shortly to help with ventilation
Where did you get it from, can you post or email some pics to me?
Old 21-02-2009, 10:05 AM

Got the canopy from MV toolboxes on sandgate road in brisbane 4 week buildtime over xmas when i get pics ill post
Old 24-05-2009, 06:10 PM

gday fellas, i am just about to get a 02 coil cab, and one of the first things ill be doing is a canopy. ive always leant towards canvas, cause i want to be able to take it off easy and i dont have room to store an ally canopy. however, how much does it actually take to rip the stuff off-road? im assuming it would strong enough to take scrapes from branches, and only a forceful puncture would tear it.

i did see the canvas over mesh idea above, and i quite like that though!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification