Oil catch can - is provent the only way to go? - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GU/GR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 06:07 PM

Default Oil catch can - is provent the only way to go?

Hi guys,

There are a lot of post / threads regarding the use of Provent oil catch cans.

Are they the best ones for the CRD?

The reason I ask is on ebay there are truckloads of oil catch cans - at different price points.

Many thanks
Guido
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 06:21 PM

there is very few commercially made catch cans that have a filter in it and even less that have bypass valves (to stop pressurizing the sump should the filter block up).
most people make their own or modify a non-filter one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 08:24 PM

Just run a hose down and vent to atmosPhere, if we have to pay a carbon tax it will make you feel like your getting your money's worth !!
My intake is dry as a nuns cu&+ and it cost nothing!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to AussieMav91

All trucks on the road are vented atmospherically, its only been as of recent (2010-2011) that trucks are now recirculating into the motor in their own way. Which makes it a huge MESS when servicing.

Ive never understood why its not been allowed to be done with all diesels. I have seen trucks which spit out so much oil from the blow by tube, that the owner puts a liter of oil back in it every day just to keep it running. The worst ive had through work has more smoke out of it than the exhaust spits out.

Only issue with venting it under the car, is cops will defect you.

White Patrol Member 100!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Nothings Impossible - follow me

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfire_bitchslap View Post
Just run a hose down and vent to atmosPhere, if we have to pay a carbon tax it will make you feel like your getting your money's worth !!
My intake is dry as a nuns cu&+ and it cost nothing!
If we are getting a carbon tax not only should you vent to atmosphere, maybe have it vent onto the hot exhaust pipe or something? :
Old 05-04-2011, 10:05 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Nikolay

Racor Crankcase Ventiltation Filter Closed Systems Specifications

Old 05-04-2011, 11:43 PM
I don't have anger management issues - I have moron issues

I always vented mine to the atmosphere (or an old beer can) but i was told on this forum it wasn't good for the engine. Can't remember why though. I also did it for years in my jackaroo and didn't ever have a problem.
CRD club member #70
Old 06-04-2011, 12:02 AM

is it worth getting a catch can on a 2.8 td?
Old 06-04-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunjones View Post
is it worth getting a catch can on a 2.8 td?
I would also like to know this
Old 06-04-2011, 06:23 AM
Go Hard or Go Home

Garage

Best off the shelf unit is the Provent one, I however have a supercrap Monza can which I have modified internally to stop oil getting passed and returning to the intake.

White 2003 3ltr ST Auto, with NADS (Nissan Anti Detonation System) & some goodies.
Lifetime member # 8
Some things forsale http://www.patrol4x4.com/classifieds...paul-helm.html
Old 06-04-2011, 07:59 AM

Most important is where it's mounted, must be kept as cold as possible to work most efficient.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:18 AM

Garage

I just made one using the instructions in the "Nissan Patrol Reference Document" cost me next to nothing as I already had most of the stuff.

The only thing I changed was the filter media, I used Stainless Steel Wool 70 cents from Woolies and it works a treat instead of the Foam. Less mess to clean up when emptying.

Cheers
Old 06-04-2011, 09:24 AM
------ Curiosity ------

Garage

X2, my home made one is a little different to the ref doc, built one initially the same, cheap so cut it in half after a while to do an inspection, all good, built an improved version which can be dismantled, has been on now for quite a while (3 ss scourer pad filtration and collection chamber), did regular 10,000k MAF clean and turbo inlet inspection recently "bloody marvelous". So there are options.
Build Thread
My Channel
A Prudent Question is One Half of Wisdom - F Bacon
Old 06-04-2011, 10:04 AM

Garage

"Most important is where it's mounted, must be kept as cold as possible to work most efficient."

Is this true as about the only spot I have in my 4.2 is above the turbo and deffinitely need one? Got know where else to put it. Maybe I could insulate the bottom?
Old 06-04-2011, 10:29 AM
------ Curiosity ------

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loktndirty View Post
"Most important is where it's mounted, must be kept as cold as possible to work most efficient."

Is this true as about the only spot I have in my 4.2 is above the turbo and deffinitely need one? Got know where else to put it. Maybe I could insulate the bottom?
Wouldn't worry about it too much, there are not to many cool places under the bonnet of a 4by when your half way up a mountain in 2 LR at 3500rpm.

They insulate batteries so that is an option
Build Thread
My Channel
A Prudent Question is One Half of Wisdom - F Bacon
Old 06-04-2011, 12:55 PM

Insulation may help, water cooled would be the ultimate but not very practical. What your trying to do is condense the oil out of the gas stream, this can only be done with lots of surface area and turbulence, the cooler the surfaces the more efficient it will work.
I am a big fan of Stainless wool in the largest diameter aluminium canister you can fit, but having said that I was lazy and just bought a Provent, but I personally don't think it's worth the money.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:29 PM

I think the provent catch cans are too expensive for what it is. There are plenty of guys making custom made ones on other forums. I had one made for my old VL turbo. It had -8an fittings to run speed flow fittings from and braided lines. It had a breather filter on the top, and drain plug on the bottom. Internally you put steel wool inside of it. And the best thing about it is you can get it made to your specs including size and shape. The one I had was stainless steel.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:09 PM

Yes the provent is expensive. I tried the cheap way first witha modified supercheap unit. Got rid of about 70 percent of the oil. As I wanted long term reliability, I went for the provent. After 30,000km took off the input pipe to the intercooler today and it is totally dry: just what I wanted to see. So for me provent is the way to go after all $200 is not big money when you compare it to anything else you do to a forby.
My thoughts anway.

Loafer
Old 07-04-2011, 11:34 PM

Old 08-04-2011, 04:13 AM

Garage

Hi,

If you have the money go with the Provent. If you think is too much then buy/DIY a cheap catchcan.

In my opinion they all work but the Provent 200 has a lot of research/quality/tests done and it will "catch" more oil than the others. The cheap ones I don't think they even made any specs or testing...

Edu

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification