Petrol 4.5 / 4.8 engine life expectancies - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GU/GR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-03-2010, 11:22 AM

Talking Petrol 4.5 / 4.8 engine life expectancies

Greetings All

Just in the midst of organising and working out my future rig. Got rid of GQ patrol few years ago and have been riding the 4x4 bug ever since.

My question is that I am looking at getting a GU wagon, most of the 2nd hand rigs available have well over 200000 k's on them. Preferably would like the 4.8, how long do the petrol variants 4.5/4.8 last and has anyone got one that is over 300000 k's.

If you get one with high mileage are you able to recondition them and get another 200000ks outa them?

Any information as to reconditioning engines, life expectancy or cost of replacing is greatly appreciated.

Love the Site.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Garage

They will last as long as the middle east has oil rigs and thier sale prices are reversely linked to the current world oil price.

I wouldnt have many conerns about engine longevity but auto transmission after 200-250kms I would be keeping money aside for.
Old 27-03-2010, 12:29 PM

Hey mate i had a few years ago a 1998 4.5 litre that had three hundred when i bought it and i sold it with 420000 three years later. When i had the roadie done all cylinders tested dead even and within a couple of points of a new engine. They are really a truck engine that all they require for a long life is regular servicing. I only sold mine because of cost to run and i needed more room for tools. And i didn't want to be towing a trailer for thirty odd thousand kays a year. They are a tough engine my dad has a white 4.5 st and he doesn't service it regularly and tows a massive trailer filled with probably three tonne of gear and it has 310000 on it and hasn't missed a beat. My advice though when you test drive is check the clutch and radiator are in good nick they are expensive and awkward to replace. Hope this helps
Dan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 27-03-2010, 12:41 PM

Hey

(bennoGU2 I would prefer manual if I got the 4.5 (if you can find one....) I know the 4.8 is tiptronic and only a smattering of manuals available. Saw one last week but not in position just yet to hand over the $$...

(rodder76). Wow 420000 good to know, love to use it for a couple of year, be looking at having the rig for about 5 years so wanting it to be able to last without forking over for engine replacement. Otherwise I would get one with a stuffed engine and do a 5.7lt conversion (but then couldnt afford to run it without gasin it.)

You have many major repairs on your engine rodder to get it to 420000? Or just regular servicing. Had it been reconditioned before you got your hands on it?
Old 27-03-2010, 12:59 PM

Hi fnatic, a mate of mine had a 98 4.5 and he got 440000k's out of his before he sold it without any major repairs. I also have a 98 4.5 with 230000k's on it and it still runs like a dream, just loves to drink! Cheers Josh
Old 27-03-2010, 01:36 PM

no repairs on the engine itself and i checked it's service history from new talked to the people who serviced it and made sure there were no engine replacements or anything else in that time. In the three years i owned the car i replaced the radiator. (crack in the outlet plastic pipe) clutch and starter motor. Other than that and repalcing the crappy original style bridgestones with bfg muds the car was flawless. Oh i replaced the main fuel pump as well. think that is about it. I am actually looking at getting another one i regret selling that car so much. I should have put it on gas and be one with it. I ended up getting nine for it and it had 60% 33 inch bfg muddies on it with a brand new spare as well. custom alloy roof racks was a great car.
Old 27-03-2010, 07:57 PM

I am wondering the same questions..
roughly how much would a clutch/radiator cost to replace?
Old 27-03-2010, 11:37 PM

Hey the clutch cost me $1080 by a shop here in brisbane done in under a day. I helped my old man change his and the clutch (heavy Duty unit) alone was almost $700 and unless you have a hoist it is an annoying on your back job that takes alot of time. I would advise to let a shop do the clutch. The radiator cost me almost $1000. Though once again if you like your patrol and want to keep it for a while. Don't get a genuine item as the plastic end tanks fatigue over time and will let you down. Best off spending a little more (about $150) and get one made by pwr or similar with alloy end tanks. That is my experience anyway. My patrol never once overheated but the end tank busted and kept leaking water everywhere and would have led to a blown motor or something almost as bad. just because of a split where the top return pipe left the radiatior. Hope this helps
Dan
Old 29-03-2010, 08:45 AM

Also, like most modern engines, the 4.8 needs the valves shimmed sometimes (more often on gas) and that costs maybe $1000+. The old 4.5 has pushrods, so a valve adjust (but every 20,000 on gas) is cheaper or you can do it yourself. I'm about to do mine for the first time as I was quoted $150. To get to the plugs and tappets, you have to remove a fair bit more stuff first than on the old TB42 in my Maverick
Old 29-03-2010, 12:29 PM

I had my shims done on my 4.8 for $300 including a new set of plugs! And that was from the local Nissan Stealer. So I think $1000 is a bit of an over estimate.
Old 29-03-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-WA View Post
I had my shims done on my 4.8 for $300 including a new set of plugs! And that was from the local Nissan Stealer. So I think $1000 is a bit of an over estimate.
I think that was a good deal, assuming they actually did check them and didn't need to change anything. I think you will find plenty of people who have spent real money once you need to actually change some of the shims. happy to be proved wrong though. Others?
Old 29-03-2010, 06:08 PM

Well it didn't get 'parked' as it had a new rocker cover gasket (visible just by lifting the bonnet) and I think they must have changed the plugs over because I was able to get a full turn leaner on my LPG power valve after it was done. I didn't need an extra shims, they reckon they were pretty good except for a couple which they were able to swap.

But even saying that they reckon they were only $10 a shim.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification