RD28 Timing - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GU/GR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-12-2011, 07:57 PM

Garage
Default RD28 Timing

I'm hoping one of the diesel.2.8 guru's may be able to help me out.
Since having the recoed motor fitted into the Patrol, I've been going out of my brain with the cruddy performance and excessive fuel consumption. I'm currently using fuel at the rate of 19l/100km and have no power at all. My 0 - 100 times are measured in minutes rather than seconds and when I finally get to 100k/hr, I can barely hold it unless the road is dead flat.
I have taken it back to the guys who installed it, but they reckon that the timing is correct. I suspect otherwise.
A couple of weeks ago I took the top timing cover off and set the motor to TDC. I then marked the belt at the position of the pump and cam match marks. (With the correct number of teeth between them) I then turned the motor over for three full revolutions of the timing belt and the marks were no longer at the notches. It appeared that the marks I put on the belt were one tooth out. I suspect that the crank may be incorrectly set with the number of teeth.
My question is... Is this correct, or should they line up. I haven't taken the bottom cover off yet as it's a bugger of a job. However if that is the solution to my power/fuel issues, I'm willing to get in threre again.
If the marks are right, I will then need to look at the issue that the motor has been incorrectly reconditioned and will need to fight for a new motor again. (Have already identified a cracked rocker cover which was siliconed on the inside and painted on the outside to hide the crack)

Hope you can help me out. I'm really frustrated with the last 18 months of sagas with this thing.
lightforce 240's
home made roller drawers
dual batteries
Federal 285/75 16 MTs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-12-2011, 06:06 AM

Sounds like it could be any number of things. I would check the MAFS first. Pull the plug of just after the air filter box, go for a drive. If there is no change in performance this could be your issue. Would maybe explain the high fuel useage? Benno would know more.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 27-12-2011, 06:31 AM

Garage

Have checked the MAF. Also had new injectors and recalibrated pump for the new motor. My feeling is that if it isn't the timing then it can only be a dodgy motor. I'm hoping like hell that it is only the timing though.
lightforce 240's
home made roller drawers
dual batteries
Federal 285/75 16 MTs
Old 27-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in

The timing belt will move round at a different pace to that of the timing gears so what you experienced is normal. So is low power and high fuel consumption - it's a RD28 !

Re check the timing and use a dti to set up the fuel pump, after that you're into fitting go-faster parts - but don't forget, it is a RD28...

1989 Y60 SWB TD42 powered
SWB Patrol Club Member #12
Old 02-01-2012, 07:58 AM

Was the injector pump overhauled as well? reason i asked is i had mine done and the car never felt the same again. after a couple of trips back to the machanic its now all sorted. these pumps are adjustable internally and yours might need to be retuned for your engine. ring around injector overhaul shops and get there views. i have always found good places will take the time to talk to u. i know how your feeling as i almost sold mine as it was so slow compared to what is was.

Nothing like a mighty Patrol to let you see this great country of ours
Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 AM

Garage

Camo,
Thanks for that info. Will give them a call tomorrow when they open.

Cheers
Darren
lightforce 240's
home made roller drawers
dual batteries
Federal 285/75 16 MTs
Old 03-01-2012, 05:44 PM

I'm with the wilk, I'd be going right over the MAF, I know you have checked it but go over it again, make sure the pins havent been pushed in and just double check no-one (for whatever reason) has been messing around with those two little phillips head screws where the pin plugs in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification