Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Wet carpet 08 wagon ( Lemon)

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  voids 
#1 ·
yes this further confirms that I do own a lemon, after driving home in heavy rain today I found that there was a pool of water passenger side rear door towards the back seat just before the rear wheel arch.
now this is not the first time I have found wet carpet here, happened last year when it rained heavy but didnt think much of it then as I crossed a causeway with about 400mm of water flowing.

now water seems to be coming someware from the front kick panel and flowing towards the back via the little channel under the plastics, Any ideas what it could be?

lucky it dosent rain too often in Central Qld.

the pictures where taken after I cleaned up the majority of water.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
yes i do cable comes from the engine bay and enters the cabin through a gromit undernieth passenger foot well, all tight and has silicone around it, and is not coming from there Im confident as I installed it.

vehicle also has a nissan fitted snorkel, could it be leaking from the screws in the 'A' piller?

#5 ·
i think ferret is right check the drain line for your air con. the sparky that installed my uhf radio used the area next to my drain to run the cable which in turn blocked the drain line
i'll bet my left ;) that this is your problem.

#9 ·
Might be onto something,

battery isolator has been tec screwed into place without use of silicone, also on the other pic where my finger is pointing there is a small gap that looks to me where the water has come from,

also found a few small metal shavings inside on the floor pan, probly from the tec screws.

seems the back of the cavity where the isolator goes through is connected to the cabin,

also on the small lip below the isolator there is still a bit of water so looks like it does drip inside the bonnet and onto the isolator with heavy rain.

might try to blow some air down the cavity to confirm its connected inside the cabin.

Prety piss poor considering the dealer that sold me the car installed the isolator.

On the topic of battery isolators can somone identify it as I have no paperwork or specifications,

Attachments

#11 ·
I would think the screws are only going into the plenum chamber which is the source of fresh air for the air con . If you look down the pictured vents , you should be able to see the screws . If so , the water cannot get inside from here as it drains behind the front wheels . Pull the carpets back and prop them back . Get someone outside to go all over the car and under the wheel arches etc with the hose while you are inside . Don't discount the window channel in the door as water can and will run down the glass and drip onto speaker wires etc and drip out behind the door trim .

#12 ·
also found a prety busted up grommit where the wiring for the diff locker is run, also a champion install by another mob of ******s that stuffed the stuffed the copper tube in the locker and didnt want anything to do with it, but thats another story.

anyway have put silicone in the places needed, will see over the next few days if it leaks again,
Maybe when I have some one else to help me and a bit more time I might try your trick with a hose Iron Horse.

Or maybe something it isn't sealed propley from the factory, Im convinece it was made on a monday

#13 ·
mate's GU had a similar issue, water getting in. He had 3 windscreens replaced because it seemed to be a dodgy windscreen / seal. turned out after a bit of investigation it was a cable coming through the firewall was tracking water in.

might have read over it being another problem, but that might be something to look at as well

#16 ·
Like most people I used the rubber grommet to route wiring and aerial cables. Well I had a similar problem in heavy rain even though I thought I had sealed the grommet. Water runs over the forward lip of the rubber gutter above the Rotronics unit shown in the photo. It then runs down and tracks along the cables and through the grommet.

#17 ·
Drove throught some heavy rain the other day and again had water leaking in the car!! Here is what I have found this time, There was a wiring harness missing a screw under the kick panel causing a small clip with a fiber washer to not sel properly, now either this screw was missing from factory or was removed and replaced with a cable tie to retain the cables for the diff lock wiring loom. you could see water still around the hole, goes through to the outside also. Just used lots of silicone to seal and replaced the missing screw.

Attachments

#18 ·
Had similar problem with 2 seperate cars at the same time, turned out that when dual batteries were installed in both cars at the same time, the installer decided to run a cable through the fire wall pushing the aircon drainage hose to leak inside the car had major dramas during cape trip last year, as we had to do a roadside repair to both mine and my mates car. For info on the rotronics unit try opposite lock in Townsville, these guys did a great job of fixing what another store had stuffed up, excellent service and got me back on the road to the cape asap...

#21 ·
yeah mine was a dodgy 4wd shop, that fitted a system that lasted 1 day of a 4 week trip, had it changed to a rotronic system and have had no problems with dual batteries since, but didn't know about cable through firewall until car filled with water in same area as mentioned under floor in the front plus down the passenger side channel, had carpet replaced by original dual battery installer (mine plus my mates car).

#22 ·
Hi there

When I ran cables to the rear I ran my own grommet through the firewall and then put red death silicon all over it. Once it had set I drowned the area with the garden hose and checked inside. I'm glad that the silicon worked.

I dont think it was a manufacturers fault, but sounds like the people who installed the dual battery and the air locker need to be avoided.

#23 ·
yer not nissan's fault this time but still a lemon due to its other ecconomy and smoke problems, just anoying as a lot of the workmanship that has been doen to the vehicle has been of poor quality, I think that once they get the hint that the vehcle is goint to be set up for a lease costomer the care factor drops and so does the installation quality. That is why I am a fan of doing things my self!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.