Wife filled the diesel full of unleaded - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GU/GR

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2017, 09:45 AM

Garage
Default Wife filled the diesel full of unleaded

Hi all as the title says my car has been filled full of unleaded she then proceeded to drive down the freeway about 10km before the car lost power and died. So I'm after advice and what to do and how to drain and flush. After googling I get the idea its gonna cost me anywhere from a tank of fuel to 10k. So if with could limit the SHES F--ked mate and stick a Brunswick in it or a V8 and keep to advice on what I need to do it would be appreciated.

Forgot to say its a 2008 CRD GU
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2017, 09:51 AM

Check your insurance. It may be covered (but most likely wont). Some companies cover for comtaninated fuel.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-01-2017, 09:58 AM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,730 Posts

Drain the tank and fuel lines and put a fresh filter on it and put some diesel in it and prey no major damage has happened... But driving for 10km i dare say the Injection pump will be screwed.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:03 AM

tow truck , drain tanks , purge all fuel lines / pump ect replace all filters etc , and cross your bloody fingers .

if it where me I would Dump all the fuel and get it to a decent mechanic ASAP .
I don't think the CRD's handle a gut full of unleaded very well unfortunately.

good luck mate .
Old 07-01-2017, 10:30 AM
--- The Rodfather ---

Thanked 4,917 Times in 3,469 Posts
Garage

I had this happen to my vehicle many years ago but it didn't drive for that far. Anyway I would do what Shanfab and Softy said, drain, change filter throw some diesel in and some two stroke oil and see how it goes. We have seen this happen quite a few times over the years some pull through some don't, for the cost of a filter and 2T it's worth a try. I had fuel for my mower for many years after that episode.........

I've got a mate at a car dealership and he tells me this is very common.

BTW have deleted same thread in other section, becomes confusing.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives
My Dawes valve works fine! Where did I go wrong? .

Domestic Violence Has No Excuse, Rugby League Players Are Not Above The Law.

The Following User Says Thank You to geeyoutoo For This Useful Post:
davecass (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 02:03 PM

Garage
Default Thanks

Thanks guys apart from replacing filter should I be doing anything with injectors etc
Old 07-01-2017, 02:06 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecass View Post
Thanks guys apart from replacing filter should I be doing anything with injectors etc
The 2T will add lubricity to the fuel and could help silence injectors, we usually use 200-1 but for the sake of this exercise 150-1 for a tank wouldn't hurt, petrol will have given them a good bath.....

Cheap and worth a try.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 07-01-2017, 08:27 PM

Unlucky mate.
Aside from what's already been said, I would consider taking your fuel system (bit of effort I know) out and giving it a f*cking good clean with injector cleaner and than some, so pump / hoses / tank / etc. This would stop further Unleaded getting where it shouldn't. That is what I'd do, bit different but have been in your boat before.

As for insurance that was mentioned above, the contaminated fuel rule of thumb will only cover (in 99% of claims) if the correct fuel did not meet the Australian Fuel Chemical standards, not for this "Oh sh*t I've used the green pump instead of the black one!". They will also take samples, exactly the same as you'd send to Cavpower or Volvo to do testing for your service's etc. That's from my other half who's a Team Leader for Suncorp Insurance Claims. It's extremely common she reckons.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:53 PM

Garage

Glad it was your mrs and not mine! Best of luck fixing it mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to kimba11 For This Useful Post:
05_ENFORCER (08-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 11:21 PM

For what it's worth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtozuGGVFqg

They replace pretty much everything in the fuel system except the fuel tank.

I recall reading somewhere that some guys with a Hilux had this happen and all they did was drain the tank and fill it with diesel and 2T and then crack the pressure relief valve between the common rail and the fuel return line. After a few minutes of the fuel pump running to bleed fuel they tightened the relief valve back up and cranked the engine. It fired almost straight away and seemed to run fine. I have no idea if any permanent damage was done.

Last edited by Overboard; 08-01-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:02 AM

I would see this at least once a month on average in or shop. If the engine has not been started its as easy as draining fuel and refilling with correct fuel, prime and start. If it has been started and driven a short distance without stopping you need to drain fuel, blow lines replace filter, refill with good fuel, prime and it should be ok and have no long term problems. If they have been driven until bad noise/ engine stopping you need to be very lucky to have a common rail restart. I have seen 2.5 Mitsubishis and 3.0 Toyotas come back from this but sorry to say I am yet to seen a 2.5 or 3ltr Nissan survive after driving till the engine drops power and stops. We even replaced injectors, pump and rail in a YD25 last year that started and ran great for about 150klm then picked up a piston. Don't want to sound like a downer but as everyone is saying you will need a lot of luck for this not to cost you BIG$$
Old 08-01-2017, 08:54 AM

Even though you said "no v8 swaps or this or that" and what not.
It'd work out so much cheaper;

Buy this:
WK Statesman V8 | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia Grant Area - Mount Gambier | 1134982604

Spend another $2000-3000 on parts to make it work and you'd still spend about the same as what a replacement CRD will cost once it's turn key ready.

One door closes so another can open.
(also I have nothing to do with that for sale ad, I just quickly jumped on gumtree and that was the first one I saw)
Old 08-01-2017, 09:06 AM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

So lets get through the simple, non costly, testing first before we doom it all to failure and start on engine swaps, he may well come out of it OK yet .

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 08-01-2017, 01:04 PM

Garage
Default Fuel Pressure regulator

Hi Guys I drained all the fuel and changed filter etc and now the engine turns over but doesnt start I plugged in a diagnostic tester and it comes up with P0089 Fuel pressure regulator any ideas
Old 08-01-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecass View Post
Hi Guys I drained all the fuel and changed filter etc and now the engine turns over but doesnt start I plugged in a diagnostic tester and it comes up with P0089 Fuel pressure regulator any ideas
Mostly likely logging a large fuel leak/ low fuel pressure fault due to a shot fuel pump or injectors leaking back to tank excessively. Also may have the rail releif jammed open.
May get luck and only have a damaged SCV.
Personally id change the SCV and the rsil relief as they are the cheapest parts of the fuel system and both can jam open or closed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to MaxChickens For This Useful Post:
dylan666 (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 07:05 PM
Anger management pi$$es me off

Thanked 1,057 Times in 752 Posts

And if that dont work flick me a pm in regards to conversion options

Im a horsepower whore
The Following User Says Thank You to GASSED GU For This Useful Post:
dylan666 (09-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 07:51 PM

I would have thought that the injectors would have to be removed to pump any fuel out as well by turning the engine over like you do when a bike takes a gut full of water to help remove any contaminants. Then maybe spray a some diesel in each cylinder and repeat just to help clean it some more but that may be overkill I don't know.
The Following User Says Thank You to Batt's For This Useful Post:
hector666 (11-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 11:57 PM
..Hollywood..

Thanked 5,416 Times in 2,974 Posts
Garage

Dave I'd suggest ring United Fuel Injection first thing Monday.

My missus did this in her CX-5 Mazda, also a CRD, and drove it home from local BP about 1.5kms away at a guess, it konked out in our street and she rolled it on to our lawn.

I rang Matt at UFI and had a sook, I got a mate with a tow truck to take it there and Matt rang me late the next arvo, it was running great and has been perfect ever since (prob about 18 months ago at a guess). I was eternally grateful and I know it's a totally different car but with some luck you, too, may have dodged a bullet.

If you need it towed to UFI (or anywhere else for that matter) try Dirk Van Geest on 0412 324 014, good luck with it I'm sure you have knots in your stomach at the moment, I have my fingers crossed for you...

(For the record I fill her car every time it gets anywhere near half a tank these days lol)

Every dog has his day.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:12 AM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leethal View Post
Dave I'd suggest ring United Fuel Injection first thing Monday.

My missus did this in her CX-5 Mazda, also a CRD, and drove it home from local BP about 1.5kms away at a guess, it konked out in our street and she rolled it on to our lawn.

I rang Matt at UFI and had a sook, I got a mate with a tow truck to take it there and Matt rang me late the next arvo, it was running great and has been perfect ever since (prob about 18 months ago at a guess). I was eternally grateful and I know it's a totally different car but with some luck you, too, may have dodged a bullet.

If you need it towed to UFI (or anywhere else for that matter) try Dirk Van Geest on 0412 324 014, good luck with it I'm sure you have knots in your stomach at the moment, I have my fingers crossed for you...

(For the record I fill her car every time it gets anywhere near half a tank these days lol)
Couldn't agree more, thes talk of engine swaps is premature, I said earlier it may come out of this OK, many do, so worth making the effort to find out from the expert if it is becoming to hard for the OP.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 09-01-2017, 08:32 AM

Dave,
I made the same rookie mistake on xmas night when filling up to go away the next day. I unbolted the main tank and syphoned out as much fuel as I could. I reckon there was still 15 - 20 ltrs still in it that I couldn't get out. I then removed my fuel filter and pumped all remaining fuel out of my lines. Bolted tank back up, replaced fuel filter and filled with diesel. Started car and it ran like crap for about 10-15 seconds until the diesel pumped through. It has been running fine ever since.
Hopefully you have the same luck but the only difference is I didn't drive mine till it stopped.
Mine is 2008 as well

Tags
diesel unleaded