Heavy steering problem TD 42 - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GU/GR Y61

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 08:40 PM

Default Heavy steering problem TD 42

Hello dear all,
I have faced a terrible problem with my td 42, 2004 patrol.
So the problem started with the damage of the high pressure hose, that coused flued leaking and when I noticed it was already quite late. So after this i took the car with already heavy steering to the garage were they welded the hose and added the flued. after this everything seemed ok and I thougt that poer steering pump was not damaged. but after two weeks of driving I went to the mountains and used 4x4 and the problem started. steering became heavier and heavier and it was almost impossible to drive. I went back to the garage were they told me that its a pump. After this for a month they tryed to modifie then to change it with grand cheroke pump, but in each case after 2-3 days of driving it was still becoming heavier. so i decided to buy a new pump and in any case new high pressure hose(pump is made by Hitachi). so they installed thenew pump and hose and for 2 weeks it was working perfectly....but after 2 weeks i had to use 4x4 again for 70 km and I felt that steering still became heavier. now its like when i start engine its ok but after short driving its becoming heavier.

I am super frustrated and dont know waht to do next. they told me that steering gear of td 42 is ball type and is very strong.

so I dont know what causes the problem.

please please help me with your advices!

best regards!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2017, 10:53 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Thanked 5,436 Times in 3,845 Posts
Garage

Welcome Giorgi under difficult circumstances, I'm wondering if some crap has gotten into the fluid and circulating through the system. Yes they are a recirculating ball and cam unit and are quite tough usually, mine has 319,000k on it and still going strong, where are you located?

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives
NADS, So You Bought a ZD30DI
http://powercurve.com.au/
My Dawes valve works fine! Where did I go wrong? .

Domestic Violence Has No Excuse, Rugby League Players Are Not Above The Law.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to geeyoutoo For This Useful Post:
Giorgi (06-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 11:53 PM

thank you very much for your reply!
I am located in Tbilisi, Georgia. we dont have good mechanics here. morover they dont even have a tool to measure the pressure of the power pump...So what should I do next? should I ask them to check and clean the steering gear? or can it also be caused by the new pump, which I bought from Dubai for 400usd? its a Hitachi manufactred steering pump..

anyway thanks for help mate! really need and really appreciate that

best regards!

Giorgi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15879115_10206831027688312_673648226_n.jpg (34.5 KB, 93 views)

Old 06-01-2017, 11:41 AM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Hi Giorgi, I'd be flushing the system, are you able to measure backlash in the box? and has the new pump suffered any damage?

Not sure if you have it but I will include a link to a GU/GR workshop manual we have in our Archives. Go to the ZD30DI archives, then to post #9, link is at the top of the post and tells you what username and password to use to gain access. There is a wide variety of models and series in there but they all had the same steering system.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

The Following User Says Thank You to geeyoutoo For This Useful Post:
Giorgi (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 04:33 PM

hello geeyoutoo,

yestarday they opened the steering pump and checked the parts of it. no scratches, nothing. visually everything seems ok inside the pump. we also checked high pressure hose and another hose, also ok.

I dont know how to measure backlash in the box...you mean box of the stearing gear or the pump?

when we installed different modified pumps, then Grand cherok pump, in each time we changed the ATF, is not it flushing? how else i should flush? only what I think now is to ask mechanics to open stearing gear and flush and clean it, maybe there is a crap there that kills all pumps. this is only explanation I can think now..

thanks again!
Old 06-01-2017, 05:47 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Did the new box come with a new over pressure relief valve or is the old one being used? This valve always opens whenever the steering goes to full lock. if it sticks open the steering will be heavy.

Edit: The only other thing I can think of is the preload is set too tight. There is an adjustment for preload but it should never be touched. It is only for adjustment when the box is first assembled. If someone has tightened this because the box had some slop in it then it might be OK when cold but start binding when warm.

Last edited by Overboard; 06-01-2017 at 06:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Overboard For This Useful Post:
Giorgi (07-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 06:31 PM

no mate over pressure relief valve came with new box, so its new. I dont know about adjustment, but the pump was working perfectly for the first 2 weeks..can it be checked somehow? this adjustemnt thing?

Last edited by Giorgi; 07-01-2017 at 12:25 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:35 PM
Educated Fool

Just a thought.
Is it hard surfaces you are driving on when in 4x4. Are you sure it's not just wind up creating very heavy steering. Is it definitely disengaging 4x4. Does it only happen in 4x4.

Franky.
The Following User Says Thank You to Franky73 For This Useful Post:
Giorgi (07-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 11:44 PM

no steering is heavy without 4x4 too. even on tarmac
Old 07-01-2017, 04:47 AM

Not a problem with a stuffed steering dampener killing the pump?
The Following User Says Thank You to hz_350 For This Useful Post:
Giorgi (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 10:20 AM

Garage

Hello Giorgi.
In your original post you mentioned that the steering is heavy after using 4wheel drive. I'm wondering if in fact there is a problem with the transfer lever and the car is still in 4wd when in fact you think it is in 2wd. Just a thought.
Cheers, Ray.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Bugger#2 For This Useful Post:
Giorgi (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bugger#2 View Post
Hello Giorgi.
In your original post you mentioned that the steering is heavy after using 4wheel drive. I'm wondering if in fact there is a problem with the transfer lever and the car is still in 4wd when in fact you think it is in 2wd. Just a thought.
Cheers, Ray.
Further to this are the hubs unlocking, and does it perhaps have an autolocker fitted.
The Following User Says Thank You to ACMPatrol For This Useful Post:
Giorgi (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 04:45 PM

hz-350. sorry, what is a steering dampener?

Old Bugger#2. no its not definitly in 4x4.

ACMPatrol. I am not that sure about the hubs. I do have auto locking hubs on my patrol.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:29 PM

Giorgi, your auto locking hubs may be sticking on. This would cause the driveshafts to continue to turn even when 4wd is unselected. It wouldn't be the cause of heavy steering though.

But, if you happen to have an autolocker in the front diff, and your auto hubs are stuck in lock position, you would then definately have heavy steering.
The Following User Says Thank You to ACMPatrol For This Useful Post:
Giorgi (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 06:11 PM

Steering dampener is the shock from the drag link to the front panhard rod
The Following User Says Thank You to hz_350 For This Useful Post:
Giorgi (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 07:01 PM

ACM Patrol. no I have only rear diff lock.

hz_350. aa ok I know that shock. I dont think so, but I ll check it anyay, thanks!
Old 08-01-2017, 10:58 AM

Garage

'Morning Giorgi,was the leaking pipe replaced after the weld repair ? I'm thinking this was

the start of your trouble and weld metal inside the pipe might be the problem ?

Cheers,G.
The Following User Says Thank You to grumpyone For This Useful Post:
geeyoutoo (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 11:39 AM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyone View Post
'Morning Giorgi,was the leaking pipe replaced after the weld repair ? I'm thinking this was

the start of your trouble and weld metal inside the pipe might be the problem ?

Cheers,G.
This was my first thought as well as the fact some crap from the weld could have gone through the system. I know necessity is the mother of invention but welding that pipe could be a tricky thing.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 08-01-2017, 09:02 PM

no guys, after I decided to buy new pump I also bought a new high pressure hose. mechanich also checked low pressure pipe and its also not blocked. only thing is left is a steering gear. So I m waiting for a mechanich he told me to contact after 15th of January. So I ll ask him to open and check steering gear box. maybe we will find something there that kills the pump.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:54 PM

You ask about something killing the pump but above you have stated that the pump was dismantled and no damage found. I am wondering if the pump is actually OK but is there a seal or something somewhere in the box that was damaged or incurred some wear when the steering box was run for a period whilst dry. Maybe if only slightly damaged then it holds pressure OK when the fluid is cold but as it heats up and thins out maybe the seal then allows fluid pressure to bypass reducing effectiveness.

I used to borrow a small hydraulic digger (mini bobcat) that did this. Worked fine for about an hour, then when everything was good and hot, especially the hydraulic fluid it would loose strength and could not lift a full bucket or dig as deep whilst driving.

Just another guess for thought as I don't know what exactly is in the internals of the steering box.

Tags
heavy steering, td42