Wife filled the diesel full of unleaded - Page 2 - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol GU/GR Y61

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicknJo View Post
Dave,
I made the same rookie mistake on xmas night when filling up to go away the next day. I unbolted the main tank and syphoned out as much fuel as I could. I reckon there was still 15 - 20 ltrs still in it that I couldn't get out. I then removed my fuel filter and pumped all remaining fuel out of my lines. Bolted tank back up, replaced fuel filter and filled with diesel. Started car and it ran like crap for about 10-15 seconds until the diesel pumped through. It has been running fine ever since.
Hopefully you have the same luck but the only difference is I didn't drive mine till it stopped.
Mine is 2008 as well
Same here; when I made the mistake the first time but I didn't replace the fuel filter and drove it till it stopped. A friend came to help and after he finished laughing and rolling on the ground, we drained the tank and filled it up with diesel this time. Started the car and it spluttered until the diesel pumped through. It has been running fine ever since.

The second time I only filled the auxiliary tank DOH. By the grace of the diesel gods it will never happen again. And the fact my wife reminds me every time I fill up.

Anyhow, I hope it goes well for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2017, 02:18 PM

Garage
Default Update

Well after draining tank of 69ltrs unleaded and 19ltrs diesel I replaced the the fuel filter and vacuumed fuel from pump and filled new filter with injector cleaner SHES ALIVE and running very well so far so good.

Big thanks to the guys with the tips on what to do and to the nay sayers suggesting new engine etc your glass doesnt have to be half empty it can be half full.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to davecass For This Useful Post:
ants_oz (10-01-2017), awyd (11-01-2017), bignev (10-01-2017), edb (10-01-2017), geeyoutoo (09-01-2017), jimbodeluxe (10-01-2017), Leethal (10-01-2017), Paddy16 (10-01-2017), shanfab (09-01-2017), skegbudley (09-01-2017), slow (10-01-2017), Softy (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 02:20 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Thanked 2,522 Times in 1,954 Posts

Well done.. Go buy a lotto ticket now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Softy For This Useful Post:
05_ENFORCER (09-01-2017), davecass (09-01-2017)

Old 09-01-2017, 02:42 PM

***** hot , Stoked it worked out ok for you Dave , maybe buy 2 lotto tickets
The Following User Says Thank You to shanfab For This Useful Post:
davecass (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 02:52 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Thanked 5,472 Times in 3,873 Posts
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecass View Post
Well after draining tank of 69ltrs unleaded and 19ltrs diesel I replaced the the fuel filter and vacuumed fuel from pump and filled new filter with injector cleaner SHES ALIVE and running very well so far so good.

Big thanks to the guys with the tips on what to do and to the nay sayers suggesting new engine etc your glass doesnt have to be half empty it can be half full.
Good start. Now you've got many years supply of mower fuel . One of my neighbours has been running his lawn mower for eons on petrol drained from diesels in his workshop and indeed I had the same many years ago. Let's keep our fingers crossed it was caught in time mate.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives
NADS, So You Bought a ZD30DI
http://powercurve.com.au/
My Dawes valve works fine! Where did I go wrong? .

Domestic Violence Has No Excuse, Rugby League Players Are Not Above The Law.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to geeyoutoo For This Useful Post:
davecass (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 03:44 PM

Good to hear mate, dodge a bullet there!
If it didn't work, on the bright side you WOULD of had a full tank for your new shiny 6ltr :P

Hope it all goes good
The Following User Says Thank You to dylan666 For This Useful Post:
davecass (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 10:06 PM

Yep, fingers crossed. Now forget the lotto ticket and spend your money on one of these instead:

Haha.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to festerGU For This Useful Post:
Bigfella65 (11-01-2017), davecass (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecass View Post

Hey mate,

Get a good dose of two-stroke oil into it ASAP. My recommendation would be to let it sit idling (running on the diesel/two stroke oil mix) for a couple of hours at least. Allows the entire fuel system to be flushed through, while placing no great loads on the fuel system.
The Following User Says Thank You to ants_oz For This Useful Post:
davecass (10-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 05:49 PM

Garage

Not too sure about letting it idle for hours as this has other consequences on the sleeves with glazing, but definitively keep adding quality 2 stroke oil to every tank, at least for the next few tank fills. In my TD42, I don't really measure out the amount of 2 stroke I put in when I do decide to chuck some in, so sometimes its about 200ml and sometimes its 300ml. It makes no difference on my motor... runs the same, just a little quieter.

The 2 stroke will just keep the pump and injectors well lubed after the petrol cleaned everything out.

Cedric
'99 GU TD42 - intercooled & Turbo ( the Iron Maiden )
Old 11-01-2017, 08:17 PM

Personally id stay right away from the T2 oil and put in an additive that is designed for go in a HP fuel system.
T2 is fine in a diesel that is basically the same as it was in the 1930s and the benefits have been proven.
Yet to see any benefit for a CRD that can't easily be written off as a placebo effect.

Sorry to be a negative nelly but id say you are up for an entire fuel system regardless.
When the time comes do it all in one go, dont do injectors then pump, or you may find that you need to do injectors again.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2017, 08:23 PM

I'd agree ricster. If anything has worn no amount of lubrication (2 stroke) is going to restore that wear. Once the 2 stroke mix starts running through the injectors then everything is back to as normal as it will ever be.

Just put the 2 stroke in, give it a few minutes to get through the whole system and start using the car as normal again. I would consider using the 2 stroke all the time though if you haven't been previously or at least as regular as you can remember. If there is wear then the extra lubrication from the 2 stroke could take up a bit of that "slop".

Last edited by festerGU; 11-01-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:27 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxChickens View Post
Personally id stay right away from the T2 oil and put in an additive that is designed for go in a HP fuel system.
T2 is fine in a diesel that is basically the same as it was in the 1930s and the benefits have been proven.
Yet to see any benefit for a CRD that can't easily be written off as a placebo effect.

Sorry to be a negative nelly but id say you are up for an entire fuel system regardless.
When the time comes do it all in one go, dont do injectors then pump, or you may find that you need to do injectors again.

Disagree mate, you are correct that the CRD fuel system does not benefit as much as a DI does from 2T, the DI is definitely not a 1930's system and I can assure you first hand of the benefits of 2T for the DI.

In this case we are trying hard to get this system up and running without spending thousands so throwing in 2T at 150/200-1 is not going to hurt anything and may well help in the short term.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 11-01-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeyoutoo View Post
Disagree mate, you are correct that the CRD fuel system does not benefit as much as a DI does from 2T, the DI is definitely not a 1930's system and I can assure you first hand of the benefits of 2T for the DI.

In this case we are trying hard to get this system up and running without spending thousands so throwing in 2T at 150/200-1 is not going to hurt anything and may well help in the short term.
No your DI is 1970s system.
And the only data i have seen indicates that T2 in a CRD has negative effects.

I have given a opinion.
You gave yours.
There is no need to hover over threads and attempt to correct anyone with a different opinion.

And for cost factor mark my words it will be far cheaper to replace the entire fuel system right now.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:46 PM

Crd patrol benefits from 2T.

I trust the recommendations of Baileys, who know a bit about injectors.

The Truth About Adding Two-Stroke Oil To Diesel In Modern Common Rail Engines
Old 11-01-2017, 09:07 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:

I have given a opinion.
You gave yours.
There is no need to hover over threads and attempt to correct anyone with a different opinion.

And for cost factor mark my words it will be far cheaper to replace the entire fuel system right now.

I didn't correct, I disagreed as I know it definitely won't hurt and as said could assist short term, I'm looking at it from a positive low cost perspective, hell it's worth a try. I have not seen any data that says 2T hurts a CRD, actually the opposite in many articles I've read, but not as much as a DI.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 11-01-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMPatrol View Post
Crd patrol benefits from 2T.

I trust the recommendations of Baileys, who know a bit about injectors.

The Truth About Adding Two-Stroke Oil To Diesel In Modern Common Rail Engines
Ok so there was no scientific testing done their what so ever it is an assumption nothing more. Good attempt to discredit me.
But this is stuff that i actually know and companies spent an extraordinary amount of time and money training me to know.
I have said my bit and that is that.
The OP can do as he pleases with all the info presented.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:31 PM

Garage

yip.... well he can, if he chooses, to put some 2T in to assist the lube up, as I'm pretty damn sure it won't do ANY harm.... even if he does it for 2 or 3 tank fills. There after he can also choose not to add 2T .... but I agree with geeyoutoo, there is no harm in trying to save a few bucks until such time when he can look at doing your suggestion of a full and complete expensive replacement. Who knows, maybe he never needs to do the replacement..... only time will tell.

Cedric
'99 GU TD42 - intercooled & Turbo ( the Iron Maiden )
Old 11-01-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:

I have given a opinion.
You gave yours.

Why would it be cheaper to replace the whole system right now. Replace it now or in 2 years wouldn't the cost be exactly the same. (Ignoring inflation and exchange rates etc) Am I missing something.

I am also at a loss to understand why 2 stroke is detrimental to a CRD. There are plenty of CRD brands running it. I ran it for several years in a CRD MB engine as did many guys on the Jeep forum for one, without a recorded incident. I certainly got longer out of my injectors, high pressure and low pressure pumps than many blokes not running it and I don't recall anyone running it for an extended period that suffered premature failure.

I certainly wouldn't be replacing so much costly components till I was 100% sure it was all stuffed. If I had any idea that it was that dire I'd be trying to look at holding it together long enough to trade it in on something else.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:07 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Thanked 4,713 Times in 3,357 Posts

Old 12-01-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricster View Post
Not too sure about letting it idle for hours as this has other consequences on the sleeves with glazing, <snip>
Well, our opinions are different - I have no issue with that.

My engine mechanical background allows me to know that leaving a modern diesel engine idling for a couple of hours will have absolutely no ill-effect on the condition of the bores (re: glazing). (This isn't an old two-stroke stationary engine)

Tags
diesel unleaded