5 Speed Gearbox - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol MQ/MK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-05-2012, 03:04 PM

Default 5 Speed Gearbox

A year ago, I rebuilt my Safari ute. I replaced the L28 with a LD28, turboed it, added an altitude compensator as I am from Pretoria South Africa (very high altitude). I changed the 4 speed to a Cabstar 5 speed, but am very dissapointed with the gear ratio on this box:
1st 5.429:1
2nd 3.048:1
3rd 1.780:1
4th 1.000:1
5th 0.820:1
First is an extremely short gear and only good for serious 4x4, so I normally pull away in second. The frustration is actually between third and fourth - huge gap and I often found myself working between these gears on slight uphills. I changed back to the 4 speed and there is a huge improvement as the ratio suits the Safari better. The problem is on the open road where one is always looking for that fifth gear.
Does anybody know whether there were different ratio gearboxes on the Cabstar H40/F22 range, and if so a list of them with their respective ratio's? The reason for my question is that the MK's in South Africa was available in 4 speed only, but there are lots of used Cabstar engine/gearboxes still imported
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-05-2012, 01:55 AM

This might be helpful
Outer Limits 4x4 Board • View topic - Need some MQ info
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 31-05-2012, 05:03 AM

Great link thank you
Old 31-05-2012, 07:24 AM

Mechiel, it is a while (probably 10 years) since I researched this topic when replacing my 4 speed with a 5 speed but I still have my original spreadsheet where I played around with tyre sizes, diff ratios, gearboxes etc. Below is a table of all the boxes/ratios I found available at the time from a variety of sources - workshop manual, parts book and Australian brochure for example. I have added your cabstar to the table, and the gap you complain about is readily apparent. With my box there is a gap between 2 & 3 which is annoying for offroad work.

My main conclusion, as I am sure others have found, was that the Nissan Transfer box T130 low ratio was not low enough for serious offroad work. If you chose ratios (gearbox X transfer X diff X new tyre dia/orig 32" tyre dia) to give an economical hi range top gear cruising speed you ended up with too high a lo ratio/first gear and vice versa. I think Nissan must have realised this as they brought out a 5 speed box with a lower first gear (Box 2 in my table). Unfortunately I was not aware of the existence of this box and had already bought the other box. It's a pity Nissan did not change the transfer ratio.

In the end I settled for ratios which matched my 100kph cruising speed with max torque engine rpm of 2000rpm for my P40. This meant my lo-lo gear was too high but I have learnt to live with it offroad.

David

Edit. Looking at the table again, that 4 speed box 2 reverse of 2.182 looks like a typo for 4.182

Last edited by David_S; 31-05-2012 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 31-05-2012, 10:23 AM
The Prodigal Child

Garage

just a quick fix up david.
ratios , l28 and diesels are 4.6.,, some but not all cab chassis where 4.8. there also a 5. ???? but not in aus .
Old 31-05-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wish I had coils View Post
ratios , l28 and diesels are 4.6.,, some but not all cab chassis where 4.8. there also a 5. ???? but not in aus .

Coils, You are right, thanks. Here are the specs from a 1984 brochure

Final
Drive:
Hypoid Gear -
Limited Slip Rear Differential.
Ratios:

4.375:1 (Turbo Diesel
Hardtop and Deluxe Wagon).
4.875:1 (Cab/Chassis SD33
and Pick-Up SD33).
4.111:1 (Wagon P40).
4.625:1 (Others).

As for the 3.9 my P40 SWB Hardtop was fitted with them. Could cruise effortlessly all day at 140kph when new, but not on NZ roads so swapped them out for 4.375 when I came home.

David

Old 01-06-2012, 06:14 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wish I had coils View Post
It depends where the Patrol was exported to. In Europe later MK's with N/A Diesels and 5 speed have 4.3 and all MK L28's (4 and 5 speed) have 4.3.

About that 5.14, that was for the Spanish 260 with N/A RD28. There is also a 260 with 2.7l 4 clinder Perkins with only 70Hp. I wonder what ratio that might have!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:46 AM

Some european MK L28's 5 speed were 4,11.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:33 PM

Thank you for the info. If I look at the Cabstar ratio's on the link of Lawrence of 4.818; 2.620; 1.429; 1.000 and 0.777, it seems like the box I can buy from the importers could be similair to this one. Since one is not allowed to open it, I have to take a marking pen to try and establish some sort of a ratio through all 5 gears. I would like to know whether there are guys on the forum that uses this box currently, what engines they are using it with and their experience with it? By the way, I am 100% sure of the ratio's in my original post as I have counted the number of teeth of each gear on the main and counter shafts for the basis of the calculation. The only thing I know from the imported box is that the drive gear has 22 teeth as apose to the 21 on my Cabstar box.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification