Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Help needed getting CV off axle

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Jelmer160 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am in the process of replacing the CV joints in my 1985 MK (ex Japan).
The Hayes manual I have says that the axle & CV are a single unit and cannot be separated. I have searched and read several threads on this forum and some seem to agree with them being a single unit, others advise the use of a large hammer to remove the CV from the axle shaft.

I have removed the circlip from inside the CV joint (that clips onto the axle shaft) and hit the CV joint with a large hammer but nothing has moved.

I really don't want to break anything as getting replacement axle shafts in NZ will be a problem.

Any tips, or is the manual correct and the CV's cannot be removed from the axle shaft?

Thanks,
Myles

#2 ·
Last 2 times i did it I jusst got a big hammer and hit the cv hard it popped the circlip off and cv fell to the ground, Not sure if there is another way or not????? I can't see you wrecking any thing other then the cv by hitting it . The axles are pretty strong item the cv should slide off with some persuasion.

#6 ·
If you have a pipe a little bigger than the shaft, or even a length of angle steel, you slide the shaft down the pipe / inside the angle, and then hit the other end of the pipe/angle on the floor. Gravity takes care of the rest :)

Something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a80bXtr5hyE

#7 ·
They can be stuck on there pretty bad but like Coils said, get a bigger hammer....;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.