mq comp truck build - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol MQ/MK

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2017, 07:50 PM

Send a message via MSN to mq swb learner
Default mq comp truck build

Welits good to be back on here after several years out of the 4x4 scene(marrage new baby etc etc)
So bought a 2009 gu in hopes of getting back out bush buttt its now according to the wife a family car haha

So after 3 years of convincing I finally have the green light to build a comp truck ?

So I just bought another mq swb with a blown l28 and more chopped wires and missing parts than you could imagine.

So my plans are to build a comp truck specifcally a rock crawler more than a winch truck

So im after any help, advice or tips that your happy to give.

I was going to do a sierra but couldnt go past the truck I learnt in at the right price , so my plans and ideas have changed.

So far im thinking to start with
Gq/gu diffs
Coils/coil overs (unsure of sizes atm)
Hi steer/hydro assist steer
Lots of grinder work

Now the thing I want to get sorted first is a engine/transfere/gearbox set up, any ideas im leaning towards a carb feed 253 and a t700 but just a thought.

Suspension is another thing im unsure about I could do the usual 4 link rear and 3 link fronk but unsure of other options to get good travel? and as ill be doing most work by myself not sure if I want that massive headache haha

And of course diffs gq/gu I know are strong and with some correct gearing should be fine with upgraded axle/cv and lockers

Any advice is greatly appreciated and will take on board

Cheers
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2017, 09:09 AM
Pseudoiterative

Thanked 1,875 Times in 1,245 Posts

Welcome back to the fold
Old 11-01-2017, 11:35 AM

Garage

Welcome back! Marriage, wife baby... suddenly life gets complicated

Good luck with the build, remember to upload progress images. Found a vehicle yet?

I am always for light weight (compared to brute force) and since the L28 and wiring is shot, I will suggest a RB25/30 with auto! With the 7000 rpm RB25 red line you have a very wide rev range and high top speed even in low range.... just my 2c

MQ '82 L28 LWB
Coils are for old timers
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-01-2017, 12:25 PM
The Prodigal Child Has Returned

Garage

253 might be alright but I think you would want injection or run straight gas. Carbs are no good on inclines . Maybe look at landcrusier transfer as you can get reduction gears for them , not for me transfers . GU doffs with some laminating and bigger cvs would be strong enough for what you want .
I was looking at triangulated 4 link. For the rear And a 3 link for the front .

Sent from Alf Stewart's rape dungeon .
Old 11-01-2017, 05:33 PM

Yeah I bought a mq swb

Rb motors..didnt think about that allthough the 2nd mk I had had a rb25 and went well.
Yeah I I know carbs are bit iffy on inclines but trying to minimise electrics.
If I were to tun a rb does anyone know what adapters are out there to suit what box.
After doing a fair bit of research and talking to a few people it seem triangulated rear is the way to go, just have to figure out how I can run it with coil overs and still maintain original vehicle look and get big travel.
Does anyone know if you can narrow or redesign a chassis and still comply with Tt regulations?
Old 11-01-2017, 07:07 PM

It almost sounds like you want to bolt your body onto a SWB GQ chassis if you found a petrol auto one you would sort you powertrain problems as well. For more front end wheel travel you could buy/fabricate something like this: Patrol/Safari GQ/GU 5 Link Front End | Trade Me. A GQ chassis is already endowed with reasonable rear end can flex which can be improved with just simple changes to shocks/springs ditching swaybars etc.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:21 PM

Garage

L28/RB25 shares similar bolt pattern. For a comp truck, the 3 speed auto that came out of my MQ will bolt up to the RB. 3rd gear is 1:1 ratio from memory. Very light weight, bolt on. No electronics, just basic wiring and link to manual shifter.

RB motor is shorter than L28, but the L28 manual and auto gearboxes are very short. Any other gearbox will be taller and you may end up moving the transfer. See my RB swap build thread.

Remember GQ rear diff pumpkin is in the centre where MQ rear pumpkin is on the right side.

MQ '82 L28 LWB
Coils are for old timers
Old 11-01-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Safari View Post
L28/RB25 shares similar bolt pattern. For a comp truck, the 3 speed auto that came out of my MQ will bolt up to the RB. 3rd gear is 1:1 ratio from memory. Very light weight, bolt on. No electronics, just basic wiring and link to manual shifter.

RB motor is shorter than L28, but the L28 manual and auto gearboxes are very short. Any other gearbox will be taller and you may end up moving the transfer. See my RB swap build thread.

Remember GQ rear diff pumpkin is in the centre where MQ rear pumpkin is on the right side.
Never thought about a 3 speed auto are they a strong box or can they be made to be
Old 11-01-2017, 09:28 PM

Garage

This box was also used in the 240z. Later upgraded to 4 speed, used in 200sx and 4sp Skyline. Bigger belts fitted and used in Patrol and 4wd Skylines. SX auto good for 200rwkw. Since the rb has low torque, it should be ok.
Nissan did fit it to a Patrol...

Sent from my F5 using Tapatalk

MQ '82 L28 LWB
Coils are for old timers
Old 12-01-2017, 06:16 PM

3 speed are they a good strong box?
So I picked the mq up today ☺ gotta strip it out and clean off the 20yrs of mud before anything haha also apmost all interior parts are going if anyone is keen send me a pm.
Was talking to a mate he said that carb motors are good on inclines running gas, anyone know how correct that is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170112_184850.jpg (42.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 20170112_184836.jpg (25.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 20170112_184815.jpg (28.7 KB, 66 views)
Old 15-01-2017, 09:39 AM

don,t do it look at how good it is lol waste of a good shorty just lift it put some 33,s and injoy driveing it and enjoy the look of envy from others as u scream up the roads and beach and tracks buy a gq and do it better base to start with for crawler
Old 15-01-2017, 10:01 AM
The Prodigal Child Has Returned

Garage

Gas is fine on an incline if I could not run injection that's what I would aim for .

Sent from Alf Stewart's rape dungeon .
Old 15-01-2017, 02:39 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteutes308 View Post
don,t do it look at how good it is lol waste of a good shorty just lift it put some 33,s and injoy driveing it and enjoy the look of envy from others as u scream up the roads and beach and tracks buy a gq and do it better base to start with for crawler
Agree 100%...

MQ '82 L28 LWB
Coils are for old timers
Old 15-01-2017, 05:18 PM

Johan do you still have the auto im happy to take it off your hands haha
Im seroult considering putting a gq chassis under it I just love the mq body.
So the mq auto should handle whatvi need it to with a few upgrades?
Old 15-01-2017, 08:55 PM

So I just bought a gq ute rolling chassis to do a body swap atleast this will make things abit easier
Old 17-01-2017, 07:56 AM

nice been wondering what and how hard it would be todo a body conversion
Old 17-01-2017, 05:21 PM

Will post up info and pics as it gets done mate, I pick up the gq chassis on thursday
Old 19-01-2017, 09:41 PM

o I think I just got the score of my life haha picked up a gq ute rolling chassis for under $300 , as it turns out it allready has disc brake rear , Trianglulated rear , a custom tray and a few other mods. The guy I got it off only wanted the body as he rolled his, so he had buts and pieces off 2 trucks he also gave as much gq parts as I could fit including a ironman winch so im stoked will post up pics tomorrow and get thoughts on the mods allready done as I havnt seen the set up before
Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM

Ok so here is a few pics of what I picked up, can anyone tell me if this is some sort of a high steer set up?
Will get a few more pics of rear suspension when I lift it up as no springs at the moment basicly it is kind of like a ladder suspension set up but it narrows to one point on top of the pumpkin , Świth the 2 trailing arms each end of the diff? Is this a triangulated rear?
Front strut towers will go as not what I need?
! Any info or insight on what the bloke has done would be great.
Also he said that its a gu power steer mounted is that true?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170120_214349.jpg (25.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20170120_214445.jpg (27.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20170120_214403.jpg (23.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20170120_214327.jpg (22.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20170120_060356.jpg (26.1 KB, 14 views)
Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM

bit hard to tell from your photos .
but the rear looks like a triangulated 3 point rear end , where you use the 2 original upper control arm mounts and then go to a single pivot point above the pumpkin .
take some more pic's tomorrow in the day light of all the bit's and pieces .
but for $300 got a gift .