MQ Diff ratios available in Australia - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol MQ/MK

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-12-2016, 04:23 PM

Default MQ Diff ratios available in Australia

So I am thinking about the things I want to do to my MQ in 2017 and one of the possibilities is changing the diff ratios.

Reason is that with the RB auto, the revs is quite low for the high revving RB25 motor. It cruises in top at around 2600 rpm at 100km/h. Basically all the gears are too tall. This off course affects acceleration, overtaking, hills and fuel consumption. It is still a BIG improvement on the L28 with the 3 speed auto

Thanks again to Nerok for this info:
Ratios | MQ-Patrol.com

It looks like I don't have too many options locally.

Skyline specs:
Gearbox 4 speed automatic
Top gear ratio 0.69
Final drive ratio 4.36
Tires 205/60 R 15 91H
Maximum torque @ 400RPM
Maximum KW @ 6000RPM

Patrol specs L28
Gearbox (original) 3 speed auto
Top gear ratio 1 - in 3rd (top) gear - ratio same as 4 speed manual in 4th
Final Drive 4.625 (I think?)
Tires 265/70 R 16

So the Patrol final drive (4.625) compared to the RB (4.36) is still not enough because the Patrol tires (265/70/16) is just so much bigger than the Skyline tires (205/60/15).

The best option seems to be the
4.875 ratio diffs, but I don't see that ratio available in Australia.... I also looked at a few on-line ratio calculators and it seems like the 4.875 ratio is at best going to make only a few hundred RPMs difference. Ideally I would like to get a little closer to maximum torque at 4000 RPM. The other option is the transfer case which I don't think anybody ever tried to modify.

What do you think?

Datsun Patrol MQ '82 RB25DE Neo - LWB
Coils are for old timers
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-12-2016, 05:42 PM

What re gear kits are available? Sounds like you are needing to get bigger than 5:1.

I would not venture into the transfer case. It currently runs a straight through drive, to add gearing to it just sounds impossible, but being a divorced unit, you could look at an Atlas or other that may do the reduction. But I think by that time, you could just get an engineering worx to cut you new gears for both diffs.

Here is ZA I looked at that option for Dana diffs, but it was going to cost three times the price of the original diff. One of the reasons I settled for the MQ diffs front and back under the Hardbody as it was exactly the 4.88 the Hardbody runs.

I could not find anything better to compensate for the 33" wheels compared to the standard 29" . I just live with the reduced power on the road, but I'm better off with the gearing offroad with the dual TCs.

Besides, the 180mm lift has made the Hardbody a bit of a handfull, so on road speeds has been reduced by my fear of ending up on my roof in a ditch next a Fortuner/Hilux .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
SFA on MQ UTE drivetrain
5" Lift on 33s
2 x TC's with 4.1 gearing

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 28-12-2016, 06:54 PM
Sell me your MK.

Thanked 1,649 Times in 1,299 Posts
Garage

I've heard of 4.88 diffs in Australia. MK heavy duty utes with the H260 rear had them from memory.
I think Landy had them in his ute.

It would be possible to underdrive high range in the transfer case, but being gear drive, you'd need an entirely new gear set made up which would be big dollars.
As Abcab suggested a new transfer might be a decent option, 60 series cruiser or LR LT230 both have the correct outputs for MQ diffs, and LT230's have high range gearing from 1.003 to 1.667:1, so there should be a ratio to suit what you want. Not sure how it compares to the MQ transfer in terms of strength though.

'86 SD33T Deluxe SWB with some things that do stuff.

Old 28-12-2016, 07:13 PM

I just realised my TC comment was based on the TX10 hardbody TC I also have in my rig which is chain driven. I don't know the MQ TCs, so scrap my comment.

The heavy duty MQ ran with H260 where Johan has the H233. Internals can't be interchanged, and, as far as I know, the H260 was right drop till used in later patrols, but never again saw the 4.88 ratio again. Then the "newer" H260 does not seem to use the same internals as the heavy duty.

This is all info I have poached off other forums, so I could be spewing total rubbish right now.

SFA on MQ UTE drivetrain
5" Lift on 33s

Old 28-12-2016, 07:19 PM

I found this thread had some interesting info .... http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/for...D27-NA,-manual

SFA on MQ UTE drivetrain
5" Lift on 33s

Old 28-12-2016, 07:25 PM

And another interesting read on the H233 diff. This guy investigates various internal swop options, but his aim was more around locker/lsd options.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/for...ker-in-the-R50)

SFA on MQ UTE drivetrain
5" Lift on 33s

Old 28-12-2016, 07:42 PM
Sell me your MK.

Thanked 1,649 Times in 1,299 Posts
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcab View Post
I just realised my TC comment was based on the TX10 hardbody TC I also have in my rig which is chain driven. I don't know the MQ TCs, so scrap my comment.

The heavy duty MQ ran with H260 where Johan has the H233. Internals can't be interchanged, and, as far as I know, the H260 was right drop till used in later patrols, but never again saw the 4.88 ratio again. Then the "newer" H260 does not seem to use the same internals as the heavy duty.

This is all info I have poached off other forums, so I could be spewing total rubbish right now.

Yes if Johan was able to track down a H260 with a 4.88, which will be a mission in itself, the whole housing would need to be swapped in, along with a new or modified drive shaft.
I was really just saying that to my knowledge, 4.88's were available in Australia.

Not sure if there were any design changes for later H260's or not, I haven't looked into it. But I'm pretty sure you're right in saying the 4.88 disappeared after MK

'86 SD33T Deluxe SWB with some things that do stuff.
Old 28-12-2016, 08:26 PM

I say that because here in SA when I was looking for diffs for my Hardbody, a centre drop was the first and obvious option, and I could not find a H233 close to my 4.88. My rig runs with a C200 rear end and I was told it was some import or something.

Then I found a MQ 1500km away and I bought it sight unseen as my SFA project was falling into mothball status and I had to make a move with it.

I was very lucky that the ratio matched. And still now I come across guys who tell me to go count the teeth as they don't believe its a 4.88, let alone a H260 heavy duty.

Lol, and all this banter is not helping Johan. I'm in South Africa and links I posted is in the USA. I just found it informative as to what can be swopped and adapted by these guys when they "need" to make things work.

SFA on MQ UTE drivetrain
5" Lift on 33s

Old 29-12-2016, 12:41 PM

Lots of interesting info thanks.

OK, Superior Engineering does H233 gears...

https://www.superiorengineering.com....rs-sets?page=1

Rear H233
https://www.superiorengineering.com....4881-h233-6539

Front ????

Cannot see if they do C200 fronts... Will call them and see, but it's going to be expensive

Coils are for old timers
Old 29-12-2016, 02:18 PM

Yip it's expensive, but its the best place to do the gearing change.

Here's a thought from left field.... see if there is a bolt on portal kit for the H233 and C200 with a built in reduction gearing.
Somewhere on a forum I saw a thread on potals for the Patrols, and I think it was an Australian company.

SFA on MQ UTE drivetrain
5" Lift on 33s

Old 29-12-2016, 03:17 PM

This looks like an option for the front, but only if i can convert the rear to a matching H233B

R200-513-NG

This is a 5.13 ratio for the R200 which I believe will fit the C200

Coils are for old timers
Old 30-12-2016, 11:55 PM

May be easier to turbo it than finding proper gearing.
Old 31-12-2016, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azotek View Post
May be easier to turbo it than finding proper gearing.
Agreed, but the fuel consumption will suck even more. Manual gearbox with more gears and a lower top gear ratio will work as well.

Sent from my F5 using Tapatalk

Coils are for old timers
Old 31-12-2016, 06:17 AM

Just stop at fourth gear

SFA on MQ UTE drivetrain
5" Lift on 33s

Old 03-01-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Safari View Post
OK, Superior Engineering does H233 gears...

Rear H233
https://www.superiorengineering.com....4881-h233-6539
You are going to want to get very familiar with the information on this page: Diff Info | MQ-Patrol.com
That info was fairly thoroughly confirmed in this thread: H233 Clarification
That thread also links to a thread by Jelmer160, where he fits a GQ/260 center into MQ, with much difficulty.

The reason I bring it up is the SuperiorEngineering gears you linked say "for 11 bolt diff". Now it isn't obvious if they are talking about the ring bolts or the housing bolts, but regardless - MQ and most of MK only has 9 for both.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:21 AM

Thanks Nerok. As usual I always go to your wiki 1st

I found a lot if interesting information. This thread is quite useful too:
Outer Limits 4x4 Board • View topic - All Nissan Diff types and splines

David, if we were alble to drive at the same speed as on your side of the pond, 4000 rpm (max torque) would be at around 160 kph.... There would have been no need for any changes

Driving down the freeway at 110 kph it just gets into the bottom of the power band, just just... It feels a lot stronger cruising at that speed. The ECU down shifts at lower speed quite well adapting to throttle inputs. No complaints there. Putting it into low range and smashing down the accelerator makes you realise what you are missing as it picks up speed really really quick.

Seems like I should be able to make the h233b crown wheel fit on the h233 while still using the h233 pinion, both new off course. Problem is that sourcing these new is only available in matching sets. That means buying 2 sets of new sets
The h223b ring gear bolt holes are bigger, so I may need to either change the h223 to accept bigger bolts or spacers in the B crown wheel so there is no play around the smaller bolts. Will see if I can get a cheap h233b off ebay and compare it to my spare h233 in the shed.

And while at it, change the open h233 diff to a tight LS. Still need to fit the brand new ARB locker sitting on the shelve to the front C200.

Coils are for old timers
Old 06-01-2017, 05:07 PM

Some D21 Navara/Pathfinders had a 4.8 ratio C200 rear diffs which will fit in your front end
The Following User Says Thank You to charo249 For This Useful Post:
Johan Safari (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charo249 View Post
Some D21 Navara/Pathfinders had a 4.8 ratio C200 rear diffs which will fit in your front end
My Hardbody in South Africa runs that very diff with the 4.88 gearing. Just a bugga finding a LSD or locker for it.

Found a 4.88 C200 front end from a 1980/3 MQ for my SFA.

SFA on MQ UTE drivetrain
5" Lift on 33s

Old 06-01-2017, 05:59 PM

Thanks for that Charo. Probably the ones with the 2.4 carby motor?

2nd thoughts, the front diff has reverse cut gears....

Coils are for old timers
Old 06-01-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Safari View Post
Thanks for that Charo. Probably the ones with the 2.4 carby motor?

2nd thoughts, the front diff has reverse cut gears....
Off topic question. Can a LSD from a rear C200 diff be installed into a c200 front diff? What gets installed/replaced and does the gears "direction" and ratio have anything to do with it?

SFA on MQ UTE drivetrain
5" Lift on 33s