rtd's sd33t MK Patrol - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol MQ/MK

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-10-2016, 06:03 PM

Garage
Default rtd's sd33t MK Patrol

G'day all,

I've been hanging around this forum for a little while now (I've owned a couple of GQ's in the past and my old man has had a GQ also for many years). I sold my last Patrol (an RB25 powered GQ wagon) at the start of the year, and after getting home from a 2 month trip in the United States, I got the itch to get a Patrol again. I've always loved the shorty Patrols and I was intrigued by the sd33 motor, as all reports say they're reliable and don't have bad economy. So I hunted around and found this.

Paid $2500 for it, picked it up from a bloke on a property in Warra (near Dalby). The bloke was the 2nd owner and it lived in Emerald originally. It's tight as a drum and drives great. It does have rust in the usual spots, which was to be expected, but I'll gradually get that sorted.

The car has a 110L tank, roof rack, swinging tyre/jerry rack, and is a factory 5 speed. Also has working aircon .

Plans are to get the rust out of it, tart it up a bit, lift it up a bit (2 or 3 inch) to get it to clear some 33 inch tyres eventually, play with boost/exhaust, maybe knock up some sliders etc for it, and just generally drive it and have fun!

The first weekend I had it at home I got to work and replaced the glow plugs with some Bosch ones from Repco as it was a little hard to start. With that done and the car starting a lot better I got to work tidying up some things for road worthy - replaced one of the front semi-sealed lights, got indicators/tail lights/brake lights etc working, put in a new f&r window washer motor etc, as well as took the side steps off it.

Will update this thread as I progress. I've got a few questions about them already but I'll ask as I go along! Please leave any recommendations or comments and I would greatly appreciate any tips and tricks!

Cheers,
Rich
92 GQ Patrol Ti 'Old Greg' - sold
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-10-2016, 08:00 PM
Sell me your MK.

Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,272 Posts
Garage

A red '84 SD33T shorty... just like my first shorty!
Red with a white canopy is still my favourite colour combo on the old girls.

They're good old rigs, very simple and reliable, easy to work on etc.
A bit of boost, fuel, an intercooler and exhaust will wake the old SD up, I haven't done an exhaust or cooler yet but just with boost and fuel its a big improvement over standard.

Where abouts is the rust in it? Just going off the pics it looks very tidy.
It'll be worth pulling up the front carpets/vinyl flooring and having a look under there, if any water has got in it likes to sit in the floor pans and rust them out.

'86 SD33T Deluxe SWB with some things that do stuff.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 21-10-2016, 10:33 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by james008 View Post

Where abouts is the rust in it? Just going off the pics it looks very tidy.
It'll be worth pulling up the front carpets/vinyl flooring and having a look under there, if any water has got in it likes to sit in the floor pans and rust them out.
Hi mate, yeah she's relatively tidy for the age! Rust is in the back of the sills, pretty significant hole on the passenger side. Also roof guttering passenger side, and behind rear wheel arch. Yeah thanks for that, in that case I'll pull back the vinyl this weekend and have an inspection.

The swinging tyre rack has also obviously swung open at some stage and damaged the rear quarter panel where the rack bolts on (bottom mount). I've pulled off the tail light to have a look and I think there is a bit of plate/bracing inside which has let go. I need to figure out a way to fix this so I'll be doing some further investigation soon.

Quote:
A bit of boost, fuel, an intercooler and exhaust will wake the old SD up
Yeah I can't wait to do this. Going off what others on here have done I reckon I'll give a 3inch dump pipe and exhaust a go.

Rich

Old 21-10-2016, 08:36 PM

great looking. I hope I can bring my SD33 mq to this level.
Old 22-10-2016, 01:43 PM

Garage

Red shorties are the best sorties!

Mate the old girl looks neat as!

Sent From The Seventh Floor Of Hell
The Following User Says Thank You to Mqmadness For This Useful Post:
jazie (22-10-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 01:31 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mqmadness View Post

Red shorties are the best sorties!

Mate the old girl looks neat as!

Thanks mate! Mate your shorty looks excellent, I've been following your thread with interest.

Update on the MK - it's on the road! Gave it a bit of a polish on the weekend and got the old faded paint to come back a bit!

Have been driving it around for a couple of weeks now. Upon driving it down to Brisbane I found the gearbox a bit noisy on the highway. So I got home and dropped the oil and found this..

Have put in a heavier gear oil (Penrite 85w-140) and it's quietened up slightly, but my instincts got the better of me, so on the weekend I picked up another 5 speed gearbox just in case. The gearbox came with what looks to be a relatively new heavy duty clutch, and a fly wheel. I was also able to scavenge a few bits and pieces of old mate's wrecked MK wagon too, including some Rancho shocks that look to be in good condition.

Rich
Old 21-11-2016, 03:08 PM

Garage

Update - have done a few things since last post!

Fitted an awning from 4wd Supercentre. Cost $85, cheap as chips! 2*2.5m and it fits perfectly. Also fitted a Supercharge Allrounder battery to run the fridge, should do the trick for short trips etc with 105AH.

Thinking about exhausts + dump pipes next. Anybody running the off the shelf GU td42 dumps from denco or dts websites?

Rich
Old 21-11-2016, 07:18 PM
Sell me your MK.

Garage

Good stuff mate.
Miss my old red shorty - red with a white canopy looks great.

From memory a TD42 dump pipe won't work with the MK, I think they foul on the starter motor.
The starters on the SD's are huge, so your best off either making your own or getting a 3" dump made up at an exhaust shop.

The Following User Says Thank You to james008 For This Useful Post:
rtd (22-11-2016)
Old 22-11-2016, 10:04 AM

Looks nice I am after dump pipe and exhaust too. Mine cut at starter motor.

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk
Old 22-11-2016, 12:21 PM

Garage

Quote:

From memory a TD42 dump pipe won't work with the MK, I think they foul on the starter motor.
The starters on the SD's are huge, so your best off either making your own or getting a 3" dump made up at an exhaust shop.
Great, thanks for the info mate I appreciate it. I'll call around a few exhaust places see what $$ a custom 3inch dump pipe+exhaust will cost me.

Rich
The Following User Says Thank You to rtd For This Useful Post:
james008 (25-11-2016)
Old 24-11-2016, 10:53 AM

wish Nissan would do a remake of these but not like Toyota did with the fj,s and fuk it up
Old 08-01-2017, 10:31 AM

Garage

Haven't posted in this thread for a while so here's a bit of an update on the old girl.

Have taken it a few great places so far, including Moreton Island and also Nightcap 4x4 park in Northern NSW.

How good is camping with a tailgate and an engel fridge!

Things I have done since last update:

Installed the gme CB radio and aerial before the Moreton Island trip. Best spot I could see to mount it was to just put it on the dash. Then got VDO boost and pyro guages and installed them next to the CB and cut a couple of holes in the dash mat and it turned out like this:

Haven't connected the guages yet but I'm happy with where they are sitting. While I'm on guages, where have others taken their boost guage vac from? Have read elsewhere that people have drilled and tapped a hole in inlet manifold and taken it from there. Is there a more simple/better solution?

Over the Xmas and New Years break I also got under it and gave the underbody a good scrub then applied some rust guard black paint, came up pretty good.

The biggest update of all though is that I just got a new exhaust installed. 3 inch with dump pipe (although the dump pipe they built appears to be a 2.5 inch outlet into 3 inch) and a small muffler section. They also were kind enough to whack a bung in the dump and screw my egt probe in. The quality of the exhaust is great, they did a really neat job. Taking it back next week as they have forgotten to put in the flex joint I requested and paid for.

VERY happy with the new exhaust. Holy cow this thing moves now (well, compared to how it used to drive). Also sounds excellent, although would have liked a little more turbo whistle. Suppose the muffler cuts that out a bit. Might get the muffler removed at some stage, although it's nice and respectable at the moment, and also legal...

Also lost a wing mirror whilst bush bashing so I've ordered another off Ebay. Wasn't cheap and also Auspost has royally screwed up shipping, have been waiting 3 weeks so far. Where have others gone to get their mirrors?

Last edited by rtd; 08-01-2017 at 04:22 PM.
neixian (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtd View Post
Haven't posted in this thread for a while so here's a bit of an update on the old girl.

Have taken it a few great places so far, including Moreton Island and also Nightcap 4x4 park in Northern NSW.

How good is camping with a tailgate and an engel fridge!

Things I have done since last update:

Installed the gme CB radio and aerial before the Moreton Island trip. Best spot I could see to mount it was to just put it on the dash. Then got VDO boost and pyro guages and installed them next to the CB and cut a couple of holes in the dash mat and it turned out like this:

Haven't connected the guages yet but I'm happy with where they are sitting. While I'm on guages, where have others taken their boost guage vac from? Have read elsewhere that people have drilled and tapped a hole in inlet manifold and taken it from there. Is there a more simple/better solution?

Over the Xmas and New Years break I also got under it and gave the underbody a good scrub then applied some rust guard black paint, came up pretty good.

The biggest update of all though is that I just got a new exhaust installed. 3 inch with dump pipe (although the dump pipe they built appears to be a 2.5 inch outlet into 3 inch) and a small muffler section. They also were kind enough to whack a bung in the dump and screw my egt probe in. The quality of the exhaust is great, they did a really neat job. Taking it back next week as they have forgotten to put in the flex joint I requested and paid for.

VERY happy with the new exhaust. Holy cow this thing moves now (well, compared to how it used to drive). Also sounds excellent, although would have liked a little more turbo whistle. Suppose the muffler cuts that out a bit. Might get the muffler removed at some stage, although it's nice and respectable at the moment, and also legal...

Also lost a wing mirror whilst bush bashing so I've ordered another off Ebay. Wasn't cheap and also Auspost has royally screwed up shipping, have been waiting 3 weeks so far. Where have others gone to get their mirrors?
Where did you get the exhaust done and how much?

And happy new year !

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2017, 08:10 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by neixian View Post
Where did you get the exhaust done and how much?
Hey mate I got the exhaust done at 'Rob Bliss exhausts' in Geebung Qld and it wasn't cheap - cost me 1100. Worth it though in my opinion as they've done a very good job on it.

Cheers,
Rich
neixian (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 10:34 AM

Garage

As for the boost fitting, you can unscrew the little pop off valve(Chinaman's hat looking thing) on ya manifold, go grab an end fitting from a plumbing store, tap it while it's out. Then Screw the new fitting where the old one was

The Following User Says Thank You to Mqmadness For This Useful Post:
Wish I Had Coils (10-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 03:51 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mqmadness View Post
As for the boost fitting, you can unscrew the little pop off valve(Chinaman's hat looking thing) on ya manifold, go grab an end fitting from a plumbing store, tap it while it's out. Then Screw the new fitting where the old one was

Hmmmm, interesting, sounds like it might be the go hey. Do you mean that bit in the top left of the picture of my dump pipe I posted?

Thanks mate,
Rich
Old 09-01-2017, 04:29 PM

Garage

That's the one mate

Old 10-01-2017, 05:40 AM
Sell me your MK.

Garage

Drilling and tapping a hole in a brass plug is the neatest option for running the boost line. I didn't have a tap of the right thread so I was able to cobble together a few brass plumbing reducers from bunnings to get the job done.