The Three Amigos. - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol MQ/MK 160/260 series

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Sell me your MK.

Thanked 1,672 Times in 1,320 Posts
Garage
Default The Three Amigos.

Since I've just added another one to the collection I thought I would throw up a thread for them where I can post useless drivel and ask questions and whatnot.

Most of you will have seen Old Red at some point during the last 20 or so months I've owned it, some of you will have seen big yella, and now there's a new addition.

Meet Old Red, Big Yella and <Name Pending>!

Old Red is a 1985 MK SWB SD33T 5 speed, 296,000km, red in colour with a brown interior and I spent a lot of time and money making this thing a good car, all rust was repaired, the whole car was fish oiled, rust killed and sound deadened. And the result was a fantastic car that I loved, I would have been more than happy to keep this car forever... But stupidly, I went and ruined it. To my knowledge the chassis is straight, but the body is rooted.

Back in her prime:

And after I destroyed her

Big Yella is donor car that I bought. a 1982 MQ, has an MK rad support, 5 speed and front leaves, 450,000km, was originally an SD33, but now has a setup for a 308 and dedicated gas. I bought it purely to stick my good stuff into and to get on the road, I got ripped off as its no where near as good as I thought it would be... missing bits and pieces and just a roughy in general. After seeing how much better Old Red was than this thing... I just couldn't bring myself to wreck Old Red, despite being stuffed it just still seemed too good to wreck, so now they are both sitting there waiting for a use. Big Yella is also up for sale, but it might start to get stripped in the very near future.

And this is <Name Pending>, a 1986 Silver MK L28 SWB, 5 speed, extractors, 2.25" exhaust, steel canopy, A/C, suspension drivers seat, factory jack and toolkit, 150,000km, very clean interior, small amount of panel damage, extended shackles, BFG muddies, almost no rust. Got this car at a pretty good price, and had way too many good parts to let it go, even if I only used it for parts, but I don't think I will as it's quite a good car!

Not a bad looking beast

And the Panel damage

'86 SD33T Deluxe SWB with some things that do stuff.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Sell me your MK.

Garage

Time for my first question!
WTF do I do with them!?

Option 1: Get the L28 on the road ASAP, then build one good car out of the red and yellow one, by using the yellow body shell, and everything else from the red one.

Option 2: Drop the SD in the silver one, and get someone to reweld engine and gearbox mounts for me. (I can't weld), sell the yellow one and chop old red into a ute, and drop the L28 in there, turbo it and make it a project car.

Option 3: Leave the L28 as is, chop old red into a ute keeping that as a diesel, sell Big yella. This is the easiest option, but I prefer diesels, and it'll use almost half the fuel...

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-04-2013, 05:25 PM

Garage

L28's are get pretty good mileage if you keep speed blow 100km/h. I would fix the silver one.

'83 Datsun Laurel VG30DET 3.0V6 24v turbo

Old 09-04-2013, 08:50 PM

Give diesel power to Silver Stallion! Just saying..
Old 10-04-2013, 12:24 AM
Sell me your MK.

Garage

Silver one will be getting fixed regardless, its whether she stays petrol or not that is the issue.
It'll be getting RWC and rego as a petrol, as I really need a car ASAP, and if I can get the consumption to around 14 L/100 or can find a cheap LPG conversion I might keep her petrol, if I go diesel (I have all the required parts) I'll just need to find someone who can reweld mounts for me on the cheap...
And I do prefer my diesels. (What other petrols had points in 1986, by that time even basic commodores had multipoint EFI and electronic dizzys!!)

Haha, like naming my cars hey Boo?

Old 10-04-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james008 View Post
Silver one will be getting fixed regardless, its whether she stays petrol or not that is the issue.
It'll be getting RWC and rego as a petrol, as I really need a car ASAP, and if I can get the consumption to around 14 L/100 or can find a cheap LPG conversion I might keep her petrol, if I go diesel (I have all the required parts) I'll just need to find someone who can reweld mounts for me on the cheap...
And I do prefer my diesels. (What other petrols had points in 1986, by that time even basic commodores had multipoint EFI and electronic dizzys!!)

Haha, like naming my cars hey Boo?
Sounds nice mate, i guess you just had to out-do me once i bought my newie hey?
Haha yeah but SS is a bit long, maybe shorten it to Silver Stal or just the Stallion?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:46 AM

Sell all 3 + the kitchen sink and buy the one posted up by nutsy on classifieds , then you got the hamburger with the lot
Old 10-04-2013, 12:02 PM

Correction ;( posted by zzjonazz)
You might be able to haggle it down a few grand
Old 10-04-2013, 02:55 PM
The Member Formerly Known as Lusty Dusty

Drop them off at my shed.....I mean Patrol Museum.....then start again.....hahaha.

Cheers......Lionel.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:46 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Garage

Silver body on red chassis, just have to change details of colour and chassis number, Dont think it would need engineering??

Turn silver or yellow chassis into project car with what ever body you want, Red body for sentimental reasons.

Just an idea, plus seems a little more simple than welding mounts plus you get diesel daily drive.
Selling yelow one helps fund project car!!!

Expect the best, plan for the worst, and prepare to be surprised.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:35 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavensent View Post
Silver body on red chassis, just have to change details of colour and chassis number, Dont think it would need engineering??

Turn silver or yellow chassis into project car with what ever body you want, Red body for sentimental reasons.

Just an idea, plus seems a little more simple than welding mounts plus you get diesel daily drive.
put silver body on red chassis, skin yellow drivers side panel put on silver body put all good parts on silverbody-red chassis-yellow skin, keep afew spares, sell the rest
(possibly use red driver side skin if its not to bad then if so, sell the yellow as a whole)
Old 11-04-2013, 01:10 AM
Sell me your MK.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarer31 View Post
Correction ;( posted by zzjonazz)
You might be able to haggle it down a few grand
I saw that one, looks amazing.
I wish I could grab that, because I would if I could. Bit out of budget at the moment though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissnut View Post
Drop them off at my shed.....I mean Patrol Museum.....then start again.....hahaha.

Cheers......Lionel.
The yellow ones for sale
The other two are staying put for now.

Quote:

I think this would be the easiest way, but its illegal here in Vic.
But a cut and shut isn't... try and figure that one out...

If I got caught I would lose both cars and cop a huge fine, so its risky but none of the chassis numbers are visible on the actual chassis'. The most I can see is KR160 on the red one, and thats the generic part of the chassis number anyway.
If I got an engraving pen, that could make life easier...

But that is what I'd like to do.. Silver body on red chassis, then red body cut into a ute on silver chassis, then work the little L28 to give it some proper grunt!
Then sell the yellow one.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:23 AM

Garage

Wouldn't you just be able to get chassis numbers off rego papers or off plates under bonnet.
If you took all info to licensing department and work with them.
Worth at least having a chat with them

Old 11-04-2013, 12:39 PM
Sell me your MK.

Garage

Vicroads like to see the actual chassis number. When I got the red one I had to crawl under the car and read the number out as the guy couldn't read it, too faint.

I might give them a call though and see what they can do for me.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Vicroads like to see the actual chassis number. When I got the red one I had to crawl under the car and read the number out as the guy couldn't read it, too faint.

I might give them a call though and see what they can do for me.
Had a SL/E commodore 308 and had some work done on the motor , unbenone to me the engine builder machined the engine # off the block , about 3 months later I went to rego the car and the inspector told me I had no engine #,back in those days when your rego was up you had to go over the RTA pits , he told me to go back to the machanic who did the work and re - stamp the number on the block,

Maybe you can do the same but on the chassis
Old 11-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Sell me your MK.

Garage

Thanks Soarer, might give that a try. definitely could be a good way to go.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:39 PM

Garage

Good luck James. Dam this makes me miss my old Mk shorty. Those l28 motors are friggin awesome

Old 11-04-2013, 04:12 PM
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH

Quote:
Mite be agricultural with the non electric stuff, but how many can fix em in the bush .....
That's probably a reason why the L28s had the basics ???
You can, you know get EFI,electric dizzy for the L28,even came factory turbo ....
Turbo the L28,itll eat the diesels ,all day

Me id fix the silver rear panel,do whats needed,tidy it up,and drive the wheels of it .....
Quick,cheap,effective
Old 11-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Sell me your MK.

Garage

Quote:
Good luck James. Dam this makes me miss my old Mk shorty. Those l28 motors are friggin awesome
Get one as a toy/project. You could get one for the cost of a cab chop on the GQ easy. Whip the canopy off, and you're close to a ute chop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MQ MAD View Post
Mite be agricultural with the non electric stuff, but how many can fix em in the bush .....
That's probably a reason why the L28s had the basics ???
You can, you know get EFI,electric dizzy for the L28,even came factory turbo ....
Turbo the L28,itll eat the diesels ,all day

Me id fix the silver rear panel,do whats needed,tidy it up,and drive the wheels of it .....
Quick,cheap,effective
I'm seriously considering bringing the little L28 up to 280zx spec. And a turbo will be going on when the P plates come off if i still have it. Bloody vic laws say I can't drive a turbo unless its a diesel.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:49 AM
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH

Quote:
Bloody vic laws say I can't drive a turbo unless its a diesel.
Same laws just about every other state regarding turbos,your not alone there .....
Same as the no V8s on P plates , and the young fellas are driving new/newish 6s that have more power,go faster,than most older V8s .......
190 KW bog stock FG falcons,200 KW V6 camries,30 % more power than a carbed V8 .....
Turbo diesels aren't fast as such,but develop heaps low down torque than most petrols
Stoopid laws written by dumb ass text book trained, desk jockies .....