What sealant for engine coolant drain plug - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Patrol MQ/MK 160/260 series

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2017, 02:20 PM
White & Whistlin sd33T

Question What sealant for engine coolant drain plug

Have done a thorough engine cooling system flush on my sd33t and wanting to know what if any sealant should be applied to the engine block drain plug when refitting it?

I don't really like using silicone if there's something more suitable.
92 LWB Maverick TD42
Midnight Blue

You can not begin to fathom the immensity of the f*ck I do not give

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2017, 03:45 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Thanked 5,454 Times in 3,860 Posts
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Have done a thorough engine cooling system flush on my sd33t and wanting to know what if any sealant should be applied to the engine block drain plug when refitting it?

I don't really like using silicone if there's something more suitable.
I use Stag Jointing Compound for all this stuff, it is water, petrol, diesel, oil and heat resistant (including steam) and probably a few others I've forgotten, bloody good stuff been using it for 0ver 50 years.

My 2 cents worth.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives
NADS, So You Bought a ZD30DI
http://powercurve.com.au/
My Dawes valve works fine! Where did I go wrong? .

Domestic Violence Has No Excuse, Rugby League Players Are Not Above The Law.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-03-2017, 10:32 AM
The Member Formerly Known as Lusty Dusty

Personaly, I've never needed anything other than good old fashioned Thread Tape.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:07 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

I realise I'm in the wrong thread here, given mines a gu td42t, but personally I've never been able to get the damn thing undone.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:56 PM

All good Warty, some things are much of a muchness no matter what the engine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nissnut For This Useful Post:
warthog (06-03-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 03:08 PM
White & Whistlin sd33T

Yes my next job is full flush on my Maverick TD42. I have read bad stories about getting to the plug on the TD42

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog View Post
I realise I'm in the wrong thread here, given mines a gu td42t, but personally I've never been able to get the damn thing undone.
92 LWB Maverick TD42
Midnight Blue

You can not begin to fathom the immensity of the f*ck I do not give

Old 10-03-2017, 10:48 PM

Never had to use any sealant on that plug on SD33.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:57 AM
Sell me your MK.

Thanked 1,677 Times in 1,325 Posts
Garage

I've never used any form of sealant on the drain plugs of any of my SD's, no issues so far.

Quote:
If the plugs corroded in there a lot of penetrant and an impact gun will be your best bet.

'86 SD33T Deluxe SWB with some things that do stuff.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james008 View Post

If the plugs corroded in there a lot of penetrant and an impact gun will be your best bet.

It's 10 years since I tried. Always had nissan coolant in there. I may have another go this winter.
I spoke to a mechanic about it. He was worried a rattle gun may just shear the bolt?
Old 11-03-2017, 08:39 AM
Sell me your MK.

Garage

Quote:
It's 10 years since I tried. Always had nissan coolant in there. I may have another go this winter.
I spoke to a mechanic about it. He was worried a rattle gun may just shear the bolt?
If it's run coolant then hopefully it's not rusted, but I guess you never know about the condition of the threads...
I've had a lot more success removing rusty bolts and nuts using an impact, the impacting motion seems to break apart that rust 'seal' (for want of a better term) than the constant twisting torque of a ratchet etc.
I've also had a bit of success hitting a spanner with my hand to shock the bolt loose a little then working it back and forth until ot comes loose. I wouldn't use a hammer since you're applying the force on the end of a lever too much force could shear the bolt. Not sure how that technique will work on an engine block though as access may be limited.
Good luck however you tackle it though.

The Following User Says Thank You to james008 For This Useful Post:
warthog (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 09:09 AM

Yeah access is very limited. That is the problem.
Shouldn't be corroded. I've always kept coolant mixed with demineralised water in there. Going to put a jpc water pump and g35 fan on it this winter
https://m.facebook.com/JohnsonsPerformanceCentre/
james008 (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 09:54 AM

I got a 50ml tube of Permatex High Performance Thread Sealant from SCA a few weeks ago and used it on the diffs, transfer case and engine block. Seems to be working fine so far. The only weird thing about it is it doesn't seem to "set" or go hard. It's staying in a liquid state. Suppose that means come removal time it'll be easier.

It says it's good for hydraulic, pneumatic, fuel and colling systems, but not for plastics or rubber.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndrieK For This Useful Post:
Wish I Had Coils (13-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 11:46 AM
--- The Rodfather ---

Thanked 5,454 Times in 3,860 Posts
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrieK View Post
I got a 50ml tube of Permatex High Performance Thread Sealant from SCA a few weeks ago and used it on the diffs, transfer case and engine block. Seems to be working fine so far. The only weird thing about it is it doesn't seem to "set" or go hard. It's staying in a liquid state. Suppose that means come removal time it'll be easier.

It says it's good for hydraulic, pneumatic, fuel and colling systems, but not for plastics or rubber.
The Stag I suggested earlier has similar qualities, doesn't set like concrete and seals against everything I've ever encountered in the trade. Permatex is a good brand as well that has been around many years.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives
NADS, So You Bought a ZD30DI
http://powercurve.com.au/
My Dawes valve works fine! Where did I go wrong? .

Domestic Violence Has No Excuse, Rugby League Players Are Not Above The Law.

The Following User Says Thank You to geeyoutoo For This Useful Post:
AndrieK (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 12:01 PM

Just a tip shown to me by an old mechanic before the wide spread use of additives.
If rust has built up on the thread of a bolt, give the head a few sharp taps with a hammer. This shocks the thread and it unscrews with a little effort. Once it begins to turn, hit it with a penetrant of some kind.

Don't go nuts with the hammer though!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nissnut For This Useful Post:
warthog (11-03-2017)
Old 13-03-2017, 09:03 AM
The Prodigal Child Has Returned

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by james008 View Post
If it's run coolant then hopefully it's not rusted, but I guess you never know about the condition of the threads...
I've had a lot more success removing rusty bolts and nuts using an impact, the impacting motion seems to break apart that rust 'seal' (for want of a better term) than the constant twisting torque of a ratchet etc.
I've also had a bit of success hitting a spanner with my hand to shock the bolt loose a little then working it back and forth until ot comes loose. I wouldn't use a hammer since you're applying the force on the end of a lever too much force could shear the bolt. Not sure how that technique will work on an engine block though as access may be limited.
Good luck however you tackle it though.

Just a side note , Don't hit spanners with your hands young James , one main cause of carpel tunnel syndrome.
My brother is just 30 and his hands are stuffed. Already had one op and needs a second on that hand , his other hand is just as bad . Seriously painful .
The Following User Says Thank You to Wish I Had Coils For This Useful Post:
james008 (14-03-2017)
Old 13-03-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wish I Had Coils View Post
Just a side note , Don't hit spanners with your hands young James , one main cause of carpel tunnel syndrome.
My brother is just 30 and his hands are stuffed. Already had one op and needs a second on that hand , his other hand is just as bad . Seriously painful .
I second that advice.

On one occasion I got hold of a lot of beautiful wood shelving from a business closing down.

It had all been nailed together with 4" to 6" nails, that's how old it was.

I set about recovering the timbers and then had to remove all the nails, which I did with a claw hammer and pinch bar.

They were tough to get out, and of course I banged them with my hand, yanked them with my arm, repeated many times.

Finished up with carpal tunnel, tennis elbow, and golfer's elbow all at once. That was a painful time in my life - made worse when I read up on it and discovered it may never heal.....

It did, with the help of an Osteo, ice packs, heat packs, and tens device, over about 12 months. Was very tedious.
The Following User Says Thank You to ACMPatrol For This Useful Post:
james008 (14-03-2017)
Old 14-03-2017, 09:10 AM
Sell me your MK.

Garage

Seem I may have to rethink some of my working habits.
Cheers, don't want to end up with carpal tunnel...

Old 15-03-2017, 01:41 PM

Thread tape for that job.
And James never hit anything with your hand until you make a fist.
Cheers