Safari 24V TD42T - blue smoke, stiff turbo? - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Safari

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-12-2016, 11:40 PM

Default Safari 24V TD42T - blue smoke, stiff turbo?

Hi all,
My Safari's been unused for two years. Just starting to get her up and running again.
I have a problem with blue smoke over ~2K rpm...
Idles fine. starts 'hunting' at around 1800-2000 rpm. Can't hear the turbo... Loads of blue smoke..
Took the inlet pipe off the turbo, and whilst it turns reasonably, it's a little stiff in one position. Not major, and generally bearings are smooth with no play.
Is it possible to get some oil in there and free up that spindle a little? Or is this a re-build?

More info: Idles perfectly - no smoke. gradually increase revs and OK up to 1500-1800 rpm. after that it starts to shudder with loads of blue smoke. throttle opened further but won't increase revs, just loads of smoke.... happens the same when engine is cold or warm.

After reading all the threads on here, I'll check rocker cover breather for smoke/blockage. Perhaps it's stuck valve?? Will check.

Weird thing was when I first started it after being stood for a year it was fine. No blue smoke. Then starting it again the next day - voila! loads of smoke. Ho hum

Any other ideas, please advise.

Cheers

Last edited by john.parham; 22-12-2016 at 05:05 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-12-2016, 03:52 AM

Quick update. Don't think this is anything to do with turbo. No blocked PCV and connecting pipes all clear.
Started to run worse at low revs and lost power... on the road, foot hard down and no blue smoke, just rough....
Took the fuel filter off and replaced. Put injector cleaner in to work overnight.
BUT
Fuel from the filter is yellow and smells like varnish....
Google says that's diesel bug.... but I don't think there is any brown/black/red sludge in filter...

So plan now is not to start messing with injectors as it may just be crap fuel. Drain tank, drain pipes, slosh in another 10 litres of fresh fuel and more injector cleaner.

Fingers crossed!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 26-12-2016, 05:19 AM

Quick update for you. Fixed it!
It was that pesky gauze mesh filter at the inlet hose banjo.
Clogged with brown crud.....
Washed in acetone, air dried.
Works perfectly now!!

There are other posts on this pesky filter on here, so follow those for location and instructions.
Will post piccys when I have time.
The Following User Says Thank You to john.parham For This Useful Post:
Softy (26-12-2016)

Old 07-01-2017, 09:36 PM
Safari Hoarder

Garage

For those that remove or want to remove that filter, all that crap would have gone into the IP and there is a smaller version in the distributor of the IP. Keep the little pesky gauze filter. I have not had to clean one since I placed an extra small inline filter between the stock filter and the IP.
Old 14-01-2017, 05:00 PM

And after 24 hours of motorway driving in France, the engine started to get starved of fuel again... That pesky gauze filter was blocking up again... Makes you wonder about the quality of fuel filters these days...
Old 15-01-2017, 12:04 AM
Safari Hoarder

Garage

Change the filter........