Fuel gauge - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Y62 Patrol, Armada & Infiniti QX80

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2016, 10:03 AM

Default Fuel gauge

Just checking as to how everyone else fuel gauge reads. Have only had the car a couple weeks. Filled the car up with the gauge reading bang in half and it took 55 Litres. The tanks 140 right? I'm guessing the last half on the gauge has a bit more in it. Everyone else's do the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2016, 10:20 AM

I think most are the same kofoed. Mine reads dead empty and I only put about 105litres in it.

Have complained every time I've been at Nissan but falls on deaf ears.

Just had its 20k service and complained about it and the service manager tries to tell me it only has a 100L tank. I said that's funny I regularly put over a 100L in it. He then prints out a bit of paper that said it has a 100L tank or *140L with two tank's??.
So I haven't looked yet but I was certain my y62 only has one tank, will have to have another look. I think some of the infiniti's had 100L tanks, someone might know??

But it's got me thinking, what if we have the same sender/calibration as the 100L tank, my gauge is spot on for a 100L tank.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-03-2016, 10:24 AM

Garage

I see the same behaviour and i think there are a few things at play here. One the fuel system is 140L its not necesarily 140L useable. There will be some excess to keep the intank fuel pump cool maybe 10L and there will be the reserve. I think what we see is usage of the main tank or volume when we hit red but not measurement of the next 20 or so litres?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 10-03-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsline View Post
I see the same behaviour and i think there are a few things at play here. One the fuel system is 140L its not necesarily 140L useable. There will be some excess to keep the intank fuel pump cool maybe 10L and there will be the reserve. I think what we see is usage of the main tank or volume when we hit red but not measurement of the next 20 or so litres?
Maybe, but every car I have owned has run outa fuel within a litre or two of the recommended tank size and the gauge is always less then 10L out, why is this one so far out?, It's not even remotely close!

Old 10-03-2016, 11:16 AM

I have been watching mine as well, on the red I usually put in around the 80/90L.
Joe
Old 10-03-2016, 12:12 PM

Garage

There are 2 tanks, hosed together so there is only one filler.

Mine has 15l left when the gauge points at the bottom of the 0, ie it has gone completely off scale and is nearly at the position it's in when the car is off!. When the fuel light comes on I have 38l left or 250km. You learn to ignore the low fuel light.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:19 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfoz View Post
Maybe, but every car I have owned has run outa fuel within a litre or two of the recommended tank size and the gauge is always less then 10L out, why is this one so far out?, It's not even remotely close!

Not sure, i first came across this sort of behaviour in a late model Commodore and my wifes Forrester is similar in that you have to have balls of well SheikShifter to get full use of the tank.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikshifter View Post
There are 2 tanks, hosed together so there is only one filler.

Mine has 15l left when the gauge points at the bottom of the 0, ie it has gone completely off scale and is nearly at the position it's in when the car is off!. When the fuel light comes on I have 38l left or 250km. You learn to ignore the low fuel light.
Well I've learnt something, thanks for that.

Yea I ignore it as well but my wife drives it most of the time. And it still irks me that it can be that far out, I mean with the advances electronics in cars how hard can it be to have the fuel gauge, fuel usage and speed right. Pffffff. I hope the guy that calibrated these systems didn't calibrate the radar cruise control

Rant over.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsline View Post
Not sure, i first came across this sort of behaviour in a late model Commodore and my wifes Forrester is similar in that you have to have balls of well SheikShifter to get full use of the tank.
Had a Vz commodore and it was out but they recalibrated it or replaced the sender and it was pretty close, and our xt forester was spot on. Luck of the draw I guess.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:04 PM

Mine will be on the bottom of the red and only take 110litres or so.

Been on holidays and have just done about 680km that includes a good mix of low range high country driving, general driving about with long periods of idling while letting kids sleep in back and highway running while fully loaded. Light came on 30km from home. Will be interesting to see what it takes to fill it.

I am thinking of capitulating and buying a scanguage simply to log fuel used between fills so I have an ACCURATE measure of how much is remaining. It is annoying having to drive around with the needle deep in the red to utilise the tanks capacity.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:11 PM

I tested mine in the early days of ownership and it has been discussed on the forum before. I ignore the gauge and fuel light, when the "distance to empty" blanks with 50km to go; I have driven that 50km then refuelled - there was still 20L in the tank.
I like that. Having owned a Range Rover that did the opposite....Don't get me started!
Old 10-03-2016, 04:13 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfoz View Post
Well I've learnt something, thanks for that.

Yea I ignore it as well but my wife drives it most of the time. And it still irks me that it can be that far out, I mean with the advances electronics in cars how hard can it be to have the fuel gauge, fuel usage and speed right. Pffffff. I hope the guy that calibrated these systems didn't calibrate the radar cruise control

Rant over.

Yeah he did! Back when mine had stock wheels I would set the radar cruise to 125, true speed was 118 and speedo would say 130k/h. 3 different numbers.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:34 PM

Yes 2 tanks shown on page 27/163 Y62 Full addition pdf

Mine also only takes 55 when needle says half
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 tanks.jpg (103.5 KB, 156 views)
Old 10-03-2016, 06:56 PM

And as usual it had plenty left. Exactly 109.65 litres even though the needle was towards the bottom of the red.
I even rocked the car from to side while trying to fill it as much as possible. Was able to get an extra 3 litres in from the first click.

So that was 109.65 litres for 646km which rounds up to 17L/100km neat.

I am pretty happy with that considering I did Blue Rag, Hotham, Goldie spur, Mount beauty and then transit to Wagga all while being the mobile aircon for the kids

Average speed fit the tank was 40kph, computer was reading an average of 19.6L/100.

Average was reading 33L/100km by the time I had climbed Blue Rag I think lots of idling and low range work really throws the computer out. If highway driving only is done it is usually almost bang on.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:50 PM

I've been on a personal mission to see how much I can drive before running out of fuel.
Most often, it's been between 110 & 114 liters.

The max I was able to put in was 122 liters.

I'm under the impression that I should have access to 130 of the stated 140 liter tank.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:17 AM

Has anyone run one dry?

Most I have put in mine is 125 and the needle was below the red.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

That sounds like a wager! Lol
I'm not sure if the fuel pump would get damaged or to hot from running dry though?!
Old 11-03-2016, 08:03 PM

Must be a Nissan thing. My mrs Tiida only ever shows just above 3/4 full even when completely full!

Most i have ever got in the GU is about 82L and that's after being on the light for a while. Might carry a jerry can and do a test
Old 11-03-2016, 08:51 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

I filled my gu up the other day(ran proper dry) and took 126l... Dunno how, main is 92 and I can squeeze 32 into the sub.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:03 PM
The Centaur .5 Manpopwer .5 Horsepower

Garage

I have had the low fuel come on and the screen tells me I have 120km to go, so I keep driving around town and head back home, then back into town the next day and it will tell me I have 70km to go, yep no worries, go to Bunnings, come back out and start the patrol and it says I have zero km's to go, great go to another shop and come back out and the screen now tells me I have about 80km's to go , talk to local dealer about this and they checked it out and said they will send off an email to Nissan Aust to see what they will do...that was about 4 weeks ago now and still no word. Oh and after I talked to the dealer about the fuel sender issues I went and filled it up, about 110L went in and that was as full as I could get it, even with rocking the vehicle side to side to get all the air pockets out.

Legless..also available in sober club #1

I'm great at multi-tasking--I can waste time, be unproductive, and procrastinate all at once.