Nissan dealership saying installing bullbar will void my new warranty - Page 2 - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > Nissan Patrol and Safari Models > Nissan Y62 Patrol, Armada & Infiniti QX80

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2017, 04:22 PM

Dealers don't like carrying stock at the end of the year as they don't want a MY16 vehicle in MY17.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2017, 04:47 PM

It's possibly due to the fact that for 3 years or so unsold stocks were held, due to the excessive asking price.

Then they had to dump them out, which raised the interest level.

By then production of RHD vehicles had probably been unscheduled due to no sales.

Once bitten, twice shy - Nissan would be leery of shipping unsold spec vehicles to Aus again.

All in all a low volume low profit vehicle that has left a bad taste in dealers' mouths.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:28 PM

Nissan did the exact same thing with the 4.8 GU before it disappeared. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Y62 quietly disappear this year.

When I was looking to buy my GU years ago the first dealer I went to had 7 or 8 in every colour combination lined up on the front forecourt. Now it's hard to find a Y62 in most if not all dealerships. If they don't sell, they won't stock them.

Jezza

02 GU3 Patrol 6L Auto
No replacement for displacement
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 07-01-2017, 08:01 PM

Sorry to sound selfish but glad things panned out the way they have saved big $ still pinching myself 1yr on still can't wipe the smile 😆
The Following User Says Thank You to mqtoy62 For This Useful Post:
Polmjcl (08-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 10:37 PM

Well they attempted to extol all the virtues of the v8 petrol motor but they just don't sell like diesels do. Also changing the patrol's target market to a luxury market segment has certainly not helped their sales $55k vs $70k.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:51 AM

They don't sell like diesels in Australia, because Australians have a weird obsession with diesel that they can't explain. Reading the 200 series Facebook group it makes the ZD30 look like a reliable motor. Filled with endless expensive fuel system and engine problems. Then you throw in the issues people keep getting from having the alternator put down by the sump. There's a reason so many people are trying to flog off their 200s not long after Toyotas fixed price servicing ends.

Toyota have great marketing though. Means I get an a great car and a great price. Nissan don't care, as they're selling a loads in the Middle East and the USA. Toyota not so much as their petrol engine is rubbish, much like their diesel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Madds For This Useful Post:
Bulbous (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 09:53 AM

I just got back from a month long camping trip. I spoke go a heap of GU owners while away (I've never seen so many late model GUs on the beach), and from all the people I spoke to I dont think the demise of the 61 will affect sales of the 62 at all. Even the Pajero owners I spoke to (who are pi##ed at the demise of the Pajero) were looking at either Prados or 200s as their next upgrade. The 61 and 62 are very different cars aimed at very different markets. I was camping near a couple of guys who had 62s, but left them at home as its their wife's daily driver and bought their 79 series and hilux to the island. They had upgraded their Mrs Camry and Rav 4 to the 62s and use their work cars for touring/camping. More and more people are preferring to camp/tour in utes over wagons these days. I do believe sales of the 62 will increase but not from the demographic some people assume it will.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:38 AM

Which is odd considering the 62 appears to be more capable off-road than them all. Conversations I've had including at my 4x4 club would lead you to believe the main factor in a vehicles off road capability is determined by its engine. Got a petrol motor, not a proper 4x4. Always funny when you get stick from Ranger/BT-50 owners, I just tell them to check what category their vehicle is listed as on the compliance plate.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:26 AM
--- The Rodfather ---

Thanked 4,767 Times in 3,361 Posts
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madds View Post
Which is odd considering the 62 appears to be more capable off-road than them all. Conversations I've had including at my 4x4 club would lead you to believe the main factor in a vehicles off road capability is determined by its engine. Got a petrol motor, not a proper 4x4. Always funny when you get stick from Ranger/BT-50 owners, I just tell them to check what category their vehicle is listed as on the compliance plate.
It's not what you drive, but how you drive it.........

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives
My Dawes valve works fine! Where did I go wrong? .

Domestic Violence Has No Excuse, Rugby League Players Are Not Above The Law.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:55 AM

There was a problem some time back where Prados with steel bars and winches were cracking front chassis rails. For a long time Toyota Australia didn't want to know about the problem saying it was the result of unsuitable aftermarket equipment being mounted to the car. This left a lot of dealers in the crap because the equipment had often been mounted by them. Toyota eventually developed a fix and I think there was a recall. Subsequent Prados had a sticker that said fitment of aftermarket bullbars and winches may reduce occupant safety and void warranty in some situations.

I guess that if it can be shown that the fitment of any aftermarket equipment has contributed to a failure of the vehicle in some way then they can say that their warranty is void for that particular failure. They won't be able to claim warranty is void for the failure of anything that is unrelated to the aftermarket equipment.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:01 PM

My first trip in mine when it arrives next month will be to the snow, next year will be the Cape via the Birdsville track. So will be able to give it's off-road capabilities there a good workout, plus at the clubs property as well.

Toyota still haven't acknowledged the faulty injectors in the 200 that are grenading motors as well or the massive oil consumption issue.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:59 PM

62 maybe more capable off road than the GU whilst all is going well, but when things go wrong get your laptop out.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeyoutoo View Post
It's not what you drive, but how you drive it.........
Absolutely. In 99% of cases power has nothing to do with 4wd capability. People were doing crazy things in 4wds 40 years ago in cars with 70kw. In a lot of cases, particularly in sand, too much power is not a good thing. As an example, if I had the choice of taking my Ranger or my GU to go on a dedicated 4wd camping trip, I'd take my GU every day of the week, but that's just me, and my Ranger has heaps more power.

Last edited by RALPHMCPHERSON; 08-01-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natal Shark Y61 Fan View Post
Well they attempted to extol all the virtues of the v8 petrol motor but they just don't sell like diesels do. Also changing the patrol's target market to a luxury market segment has certainly not helped their sales $55k vs $70k.
I paid 54.5k for a Y62 Ti-L demo, so your quoted sticker price doesn't mean much. Plenty of people upgrading from Y61 and earlier Patrols to Ti 62's, and paying early 60's drive away. The prices are nothing like you are trying to make out.

As for the petrol/diesel 'debate' - those of us know who just how fragile modern diesel motors are will take a petrol engine every day of the week. The fact that some people like to live under a rock and don't understand how a decent petrol engine can deliver power AND torque AND decent fuel economy..... Dude, you appear to be preaching to the wrong crowd.

Quote:
62 maybe more capable off road than the GU whilst all is going well, but when things go wrong get your laptop out.
So how is the 62 any different to the 61 in that regard? You gonna fix the ECU in the 61 with some fencing wire and a pair of pliers? How about the electronic injectors in common rail 61's, or the MAF sensor, the complex injection pump or how about the various sensors and components of the common rail injection system? You going to fix any of them on the side of the road with some electrical tape and a smile? What about the body computer and the functions it controls?

You obviously are a fan of the 61 and previous generation patrols. That's cool mate, no one is judging you. But by trying to demean the qualities of a 62 by extolling what you see as the virtues of a 61 - well, might help to actually understand the technologies you are talking about coz otherwise you just look foolish.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ants_oz For This Useful Post:
awyd (29-01-2017), Madds (08-01-2017), mqtoy62 (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinigo270 View Post
Hi everyone, i asked my local castle hill dealership to see if they can arrange a bull bar to be fitted and was told outright no they don't do this and I need to contact supplier direct. Then to my surprise I was told if I fit the bar it will void my warranty.

<snip>
Any dealer who states this is in breach of Australian Consumer Law - federal legislation designed to protect consumers.

I have two suggestions:

1: pick a different dealer who isn't a twit (difficult with Nissan dealers, I know)
2: ask the dealer to put that statement in writing if you MUST deal with them, and give it to your local office of fair trading, consumer affairs etc. Send a copy to your local federal MP with a question about your concerns about it breaching ACL's, and send a CC to Nissan Australia. I suspect that Nissan Australia will be falling over themselves in order to dispel this myth you have been told.

By even MAKING that statement, the representative of the dealership is in breach of Australian Consumer Law. Many people don't understand their consumer rights which are enshrined in legislation, and its entirely up to them whether they choose to educate themselves on the subject, but unless unscrupulous sellers are held to account, this sort of stuff will just keep on happening.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Exactly the same as a crd gu and pretty much any vehicle built since 2000 or so. Excluding the few mechanically injected vehicles around.

A modern code reader is cheap and easy to use.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdeck View Post
Exactly the same as a crd gu and pretty much any vehicle built since 2000 or so. Excluding the few mechanically injected vehicles around.

A modern code reader is cheap and easy to use.
For hard 4wding IFS worries me. I've just seen too many cvs go bust lately, not on y62s, but just in general. If I took my Ranger to the cape (or something similar) I'd definitely be bringing a spare cv. I'm also not a fan of traction control, downhill descent and all these other new bits and pieces, but that's just a personal thing and just seems like more things to potentially stuff up in the middle of nowhere.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RALPHMCPHERSON View Post
For hard 4wding IFS worries me. I've just seen too many cvs go bust lately, not on y62s, but just in general. If I took my Ranger to the cape (or something similar) I'd definitely be bringing a spare cv. I'm also not a fan of traction control, downhill descent and all these other new bits and pieces, but that's just a personal thing and just seems like more things to potentially stuff up in the middle of nowhere.

Well you aren't going to be fixing a CV with a laptop regardless of vehicle.

Traction control, down hill assist etc is basically all run off the abs system. Just a little bit of coding. Abs is generally extremely reliable.

With a cheap simple code reader problems can easily be diagnosed and codes cleared.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RALPHMCPHERSON View Post

I get what you're saying, and think I understand your logic. A few key things though - think of all the joints that the solid axle brigade break when they start to try and power-up their diesels. Hell, CV joint failures in pretty much ANY generation of GU/Y61 is not exactly rare. And have you had a look at the axles and CV's underneath a Y62? Would make the ones under a ranger/bt50 look like spaghetti strands in comparison. There is nothing light-duty about them, that's for sure. Hell, has anyone even HEARD of a Y62 breaking a CV joint anywhere in the world? Not even on the turbo monsters in the Arab states? Not all drivetrains are created equal...
Old 09-01-2017, 04:06 PM

Comparing a Ranger to a Y62 is pretty pointless as Rangers are compliance under category MA, so they're not technically meant for off-road use (MC).

As for not trusting electronic aids, just turn them off. If they have an issue you can easily disable them. Hardly the end of the world. Don't know why you would, as they're great safety features.