Esperance 2017 Meetup Chat Thread - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > 4x4 Forums > Competitions and Events > The Patrol 4x4 Annual Meetup SubSection

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-02-2017, 06:17 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Thanked 5,455 Times in 3,860 Posts
Garage
Smile Esperance 2017 Meetup Chat Thread

OK guy's here's a chat thread for the Esperance meetup.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives
NADS, So You Bought a ZD30DI
http://powercurve.com.au/
My Dawes valve works fine! Where did I go wrong? .

Domestic Violence Has No Excuse, Rugby League Players Are Not Above The Law.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-02-2017, 08:39 AM

Garage

After the official meet weekend in Esperance the family and I will be taking a week off to get back to Perth the slow way.

Basically I plan to follow the coastline back towards Albany and surrounds free camping at some great spots, them just head up the HWY to Perth.

I plan to stop at a few places, Quagi beach, Point Hood area (probably camp at House Beach or Whalebone Beach), Betty's Beach, Torbay Inlet and probably finish at Peaceful Bay Caravan Park so those that want to go to the treetop walk etc can as it is close by and I will,head home from there.

Happy for others to tag along for some, or all of it, and if anyone has any suggestions for some great campsites along that way let me know. The itinerary is rough as some camp spots will depend on numbers. I am planning on going to the old Albany whaling station as the kids haven't been there yet, also will probably go to the Gloucester tree and the Granite Skywalk.

93 GQ TD42 Dual Cab
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 22-02-2017, 09:11 AM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

My friends and I will be taking a similar path to you, I've been through there many years ago they haven't so there is lots to see for them and I'm sure some new bits for me as well. We will work our way to Perth then back across and see if we can find another suitable way back without touching the Nularbor Highway, as we will be coming over that way.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 22-02-2017, 01:42 PM
Sydoforumsuperfan :)

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,126 Posts

Dave this spot is near Peaceful bay

https://letmebefreeblog.wordpress.co...ve-denmark-wa/

Tracks from Broke inlet to Windy Harbour and then Summertime track is also good
The Following User Says Thank You to Sydo For This Useful Post:
Thrasher (22-02-2017)
Old 23-02-2017, 06:45 AM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
After the official meet weekend in Esperance the family and I will be taking a week off to get back to Perth the slow way.

Basically I plan to follow the coastline back towards Albany and surrounds free camping at some great spots, them just head up the HWY to Perth.

I plan to stop at a few places, Quagi beach, Point Hood area (probably camp at House Beach or Whalebone Beach), Betty's Beach, Torbay Inlet and probably finish at Peaceful Bay Caravan Park so those that want to go to the treetop walk etc can as it is close by and I will,head home from there.

Happy for others to tag along for some, or all of it, and if anyone has any suggestions for some great campsites along that way let me know. The itinerary is rough as some camp spots will depend on numbers. I am planning on going to the old Albany whaling station as the kids haven't been there yet, also will probably go to the Gloucester tree and the Granite Skywalk.
When you said slow way I thought you were towing the camper with the shorty
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madk1w1 For This Useful Post:
Thrasher (24-02-2017), VinceGU05 (23-02-2017)
Old 23-02-2017, 02:15 PM

sounds like a group tour back to perth sounds in plan. i was thinking the same.
got a workmate that wants to come for a road trip across the 'bor. so will pick him up from Perth airport and road trip together on the way home.
i was going to go on a 14 day MTB trip to canada mid year but canned it. this will be just as big a bucket list tick.
Old 24-02-2017, 01:14 AM
Anger management pi$$es me off

Thanked 1,099 Times in 771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceGU05 View Post
sounds like a group tour back to perth sounds in plan. i was thinking the same.
got a workmate that wants to come for a road trip across the 'bor. so will pick him up from Perth airport and road trip together on the way home.
i was going to go on a 14 day MTB trip to canada mid year but canned it. this will be just as big a bucket list tick.
I'll book ya a bright orange jeep for a hire car?

Now supplying perth's own conversion one stop shop.
westcoast4x4creations@Gmail.com

Im a horsepower whore
The Following User Says Thank You to GASSED GU For This Useful Post:
VinceGU05 (24-02-2017)
Old 24-02-2017, 09:37 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by madk1w1 View Post
When you said slow way I thought you were towing the camper with the shorty
If all goes to plan I should have the dual cab up and running before this trip. I plan to turbo this one during the build

93 GQ TD42 Dual Cab
Old 01-03-2017, 10:11 AM

Garage

Guys, looking for a bit of local knowledge.
After Esperence, by hook or by crook, I'm going to Wave Rock.
After there just headed north.

---
A first draft itinerary:

Perth (Maybe)

Exmouth

Kanijini Nat. Park
Tom Price?
Dales Gorge
Knox Gorge
Bee Gorge
Range Gorge
Hamersley Gorge
Tom Price Railway Rd. (Permit Req) to Millstream Homestead

Karratha
or Port Headland
---

What I want to know is, Would I be missing much by heading straight to Port Headland after Kanijini (between say Onslow and PH)

Cya
Old 03-03-2017, 06:04 PM

Garage

Did I post a technical question? or just the wrong thread...
Old 04-03-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
Maybe you're going where no ones been before
COB # 13
V8 club #396
getting there slowly
Old 04-03-2017, 08:43 AM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
Your in the right place, the other is for bookings/who's going/updates, there is also another thread in this section I started on advice to Easteners on places to visit, Lee has put some good info in there.

So either of these should work OK, if they want to answer you .

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 04-03-2017, 11:42 AM

Garage

Maybe I need to type slower
The Following User Says Thank You to metric For This Useful Post:
Oscar and Leone (04-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 10:45 PM
..Hollywood..

Thanked 6,010 Times in 3,320 Posts
Garage

Sincerest apologies for having a life and not being around for a couple of days (it's a long weekend here).

Karijini is one of, if not the most under rated places in Australia and the gorges are stunning. It will be getting pretty warm by then, making the swim in the gorges even better.

If you lived your days out and never saw anything between (and including) Onslow and Port Hedland you could comfortably die a happy man with no regrets.

Millstream is quite pretty, but since the new d-head ranger closed (as in, bulldozed) Crossing Pool (one of the best riverside camps in the known world) it's attraction is severely diluted. Nevertheless, for my money... Heading north from Perth, I'd go inland to Newman, up to Auski roadhouse (yep, past Karijini turnoff), turn left and go to Wittenoom Gorge, then back around to Hamersley Gorge, south then west back to the main entrance to Karijini, spend three or four nights there, then down to Tom Price, into the tourist centre to watch a dumb video to get your rail line permit, then up to Millstream, stay near the homestead, then head north and have a look at Python Pool on the way to Karratha. Maybe down to Dampier and have a look at the aboriginal art on the Burrup Peninsula.

Stop in at the Whim Creek pub for lunch on the way to Port Hedland, that's great.

North of Port is Cape Keradraun and 80 Mile Beach, both fantastic...

Have a look at your map with these suggestions in mind and if you want me to clarify anything sing out.

I would just ask... Is a slight backtrack to Coral Bay and Exmouth out of the question? This is a stunning neck of the woods too...

Or even further to Shark Bay... And Steep Point, western most point of Australian mainland, a bucket list spot for all Aussie 4wders and you've been to Cape York

Edit: disregard the Emouth question, I just saw it on your list

There's no point in me agreeing with you, then we'd both be wrong.

Last edited by Leethal; 06-03-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:21 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leethal View Post
Sincerest apologies for having a life and not being around for a couple of days (it's a long weekend here).
Maaaate, If I wanted an answer in a couple of days, I'd ask in a couple of days..

Quote:
Karijini is one of, if not the most under rated places in Australia and the gorges are stunning. It will be getting pretty warm by then, making the swim in the gorges even better.
I watched a couple of youtube clips of the area. It looked pretty good..

Quote:
If you lived your days out and never saw anything between (and including) Onslow and Port Hedland you could comfortably die a happy man with no regrets.
Good stuff, shaving a little bit here and there will give us a little bit in the good spots.

Quote:
Millstream is quite pretty, but since the new d-head ranger closed (as in, bulldozed) Crossing Pool (one of the best riverside camps in the known world) it's attraction is severely diluted. Nevertheless, for my money... Heading north from Perth, I'd go inland to Newman, up to Auski roadhouse (yep, past Karijini turnoff), turn left and go to Wittenoom Gorge, then back around to Hamersley Gorge, south then west back to the main entrance to Karijini, spend three or four nights there, then down to Tom Price, into the tourist centre to watch a dumb video to get your rail line permit, then up to Millstream, stay near the homestead, then head north and have a look at Python Pool on the way to Karratha. Maybe down to Dampier and have a look at the aboriginal art on the Burrup Peninsula.

Stop in at the Whim Creek pub for lunch on the way to Port Hedland, that's great.
I was looking at Karratha after Millstream or straight to Port Hedland, but heading north past Python Pool looks the go and give Karratha a miss also.

Quote:
North of Port is Cape Keradraun and 80 Mile Beach, both fantastic...

Have a look at your map with these suggestions in mind and if you want me to clarify anything sing out.

I would just ask... Is a slight backtrack to Coral Bay and Exmouth out of the question? This is a stunning neck of the woods too...

Or even further to Shark Bay... And Steep Point, western most point of Australian mainland, a bucket list spot for all Aussie 4wders and you've been to Cape York

Edit: disregard the Emouth question, I just saw it on your list
Thanks for your feed back Lee. A little local knowledge goes a long way.

Theresa and I did the west coast about 10 or 15 years ago.
We did Melb. sw wa upto Broome and back to Melb. in 14 days. Clocking up about 1000 k's a day some days. All out of the boot of a Commodore.
It was way too fast, but gave me ideas of what I'd like to go back and see.
Drama now is that I don't remember $hit from that trip

Again thanks for the suggestions...
Old 06-03-2017, 12:34 PM
..Hollywood..

Garage

No worries. I'll have another look at the map and see if I can suggest a way to go from Perth to Shark Bay (with or without Steep Point), then to Coral Bay and Exmouth, across to Karijini and up from there. You can miss Newman and the whole inland road without missing anything.

Can you give me an idea of timeframe from say Perth to Broome and I reckon I can sort you a great trip.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:32 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leethal View Post
Can you give me an idea of timeframe from say Perth to Broome and I reckon I can sort you a great trip.
After we leave Esperence, we have 5 weeks left.
So roughly 4 weeks to get to Broome, leaving us a week to get home.

We did the Tanami, Gibb upto Kalumburu and across to King Ash back in May, so will probably give all that a miss for the return journey.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:48 PM
..Hollywood..

Garage

Lovely!

Leave it with me a couple of days

The Following User Says Thank You to Leethal For This Useful Post:
metric (06-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 12:20 PM

Garage

Contrary to Leethals view of the coast between Onslow and Port Headland, there are some nice areas to view, namely the Burrup Peninsula, which offers some of the best petroglyphs in Australia, plus a great little drive out to the tip.

Cleaverville, between Karatha and Roebourne offers excellent camping and fishing. And Point Samson is a great place to visit and the fish and chips there, are a must do.

As for getting a permit, you only need it if you are travelling on the HI rail access road. You are better off going through the Western end of Karrajini on the road through Rio gorge, which will join up with the Roebourne - Wittenoom Rd and end up crossing the rail line not too far from the turn off to Millstream. (or you can take the short trip into Wittenoom for a look around). This is all public road and no pass required. On the southern side of Millstream is one of the gems of the Pilbara, Gregory Gorge. Great swimming and great camping. It can get busy from locals on the weekends, but you will usually have the place to yourself during the week.

If it hasn't been raining Python Pool is not that great and you are better off taking the bitumen road back into Karatha rather than the Roebourne road. The bitumen road basically follows the old rail access road about 17km's after Millstream turnoff. It's heaps quicker with good scenery.

The only good view of Port Hedland is in the rear view mirror.

On the way up you may like to consider having a look at the Kennedy Ranges, worthy of a visit.

93 GQ TD42 Dual Cab

Last edited by Thrasher; 07-03-2017 at 12:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thrasher For This Useful Post:
metric (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 12:36 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Garage

Bit harsh on Port Hedland, Leethal's almost a local up there with all the shutdown work he's been doing.