Esperance 2017 Meetup Chat Thread - Page 2 - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > 4x4 Forums > Competitions and Events > The Patrol 4x4 Annual Meetup SubSection

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2017, 12:55 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by madk1w1 View Post
Bit harsh on Port Hedland, Leethal's almost a local up there with all the shutdown work he's been doing.
Yep, you can just imagine it in a few years time. Any poor bugger passing through town in a GQ will have all the local aboriginal kids running up to them "are you my daddy?"

93 GQ TD42 Dual Cab
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Thrasher For This Useful Post:
05_ENFORCER (07-03-2017), Jezza944 (07-03-2017), kimba11 (07-03-2017), madk1w1 (07-03-2017), metric (07-03-2017), Sydo (07-03-2017), Trublue (08-04-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-03-2017, 08:25 PM
..Hollywood..

Thanked 5,625 Times in 3,108 Posts
Garage

Ok Metric and co, sorry this took a little longer than I had intended, but I have a four week suggested itinerary for you from Perth to Broome. Naturally there will be some disagreements with this, and I don't know if you prefer to stay two or three days in each spot, in which case you may have to cut out some of the visits. I've tried to make a good mixture of overnight stops and two to three day stops, and I've only got two or three travel days of more than four hours or so in the whole month.

We can discuss it further at Esperance anyway, and certainly I can clarify anything you wish on here.

Ok you're leaving Perth after breakfast on day 1..

Day 1; Head up the coastal highway, stop in at the Pinnacles (10km off the highway) for a look, quite fascinating, then stop in at the cafe at Jurien next to the jetty for morning coffee. Keep driving to Kalbarri and book a caravan park site for 3 nights (Kalbarri is 6 hours from Perth, so it will be late arvo when you get there first day)

Day 2; explore the inland gorges (mesmerising), and book dinner at the famous Finns

Day 3; another day at Kalbarri; explore the coastal gorges, explore the 4wd track almg the river bank heading away from town, relax!

Day 4; head up to Denham in Shark Bay. Either stay in caravan park or camp in Peron National park. On the way up have a look at the Stromatolites at Hamelin, the Shell Beach, and the coastal lookouts. Kalbarri to Denham is about 4 hours taking it easy.

Day 5; explore Peron; go to the tip, the boardwalk over Skipjack Point, and the free hot tub at the homestead. That is great!

Day 6; leave caravan in Denham, take tent or swag out to Steep Point, the westernmost point of the Australian mainland. The cliffs are mind blowing, there are blowholes, great views, great beaches, beautiful place. However you MUST pre book with the ranger if staying overnight (even have to stop in for a day trip). Denham to Steep Point about 4 hours, depending on condition of track at the time.

Permit here; http://www.sharkbay.org.au/Profiles/...nt_FINAL_3.pdf

Day 7; return to Denham in the morning, go out to Monkey Mia and feed the Dolphins, book a sunset catamaran cruise, quite cheap and lovely.

Day 8; leave Denham and head back up highway to Wooramel Station stay, which is great. That's about 2.5 hours from Denham. Get your site on the riverbank (usually dry) and relax

Day 9; from there head up to Quobba, past Carnarvon (Quobba is about 2.5 hours from Wooramel), more decent cliffs, view over Korean Star shipwreck is fantastic. Could go Red Bluff but very windy up there, prob better just to camp down near the shacks south of the King Waves sign. If you do go to Red Bluff, stay an extra night.

Day 10; drive up to Coral Bay (3 hours from Quobba) and book in to caravan park. Look around and have dinner at the pub over looking the bay.

Day 11; book a glass bottom boat cruise for the morning, then go 4wd exploring for,the afternoon.

Day 12; head up the coastal track through Cardabia Station, at Ningaloo head back to the highway and head toward Exmouth (Yardie Creek crossing has been flooded for last year or so, may not be the case by then so could perhaps go the coast track). Just before Exmouth you MUST stop at Shothole Canyon, fantastic. Book caravan park at Exmouth, pub dinner at the Potshot.

Day 13; explore up to the tip and around to Yardie Creek, maybe take boat tour up Yardie Creek. Snorkelling at Turqoise Bay is an absolute must do, walk to the south a couple of hundred yards, swim out 50 or 100, and drift back north. beautiful. Head back to Exmouth for the night.

Day 14; via the Burkett Road head back inland to Karijini. This will be about a 5 hour drive. I'd suggest staying in the west campground near the pub, 'Savannah' it's called. Go for a short drive around the corner to Knox Gorge lookout and have a beer while you're blown away by the view.

Day 15; head over to the east side for the day to Dale's gorge, Fortescue Falls and Fern Pool (hopefully boardwalk rebuilt by then after recent bushfire damage). Go down to Circular Pool and walk the long way along the bottom to the falls, you won't forget it. Back to camp for sunset coldies.

Day 16; today go to Han**** Gorge and climb down to Handrail Pool, awesome. Take your time.

Day 17; back to Han**** but this time down Kermit Pool and the spider walk. Again, awesome. You'll love it.

Day 18; leave Karijini, head up the west side from the exit and stop in at Hamersley Gorge, also beautiful. From here continue to Millstream, look around the old homestead and camp at Stargazers or nearby. Can swim at Deep Reach, but no camping there.

Day 19; head up toward Karratha but detour to Python Pool, that's great too. Head up the Burrup Peninsula. Stop in at the Aboriginal rock art, and continue on to Conzinc Bay, great campsite. You may even stay an extra day here if you want to chill.

Day 20; head off to Cleaverville camp area on the other side of Karratha. Maybe an extra day here also? I admit I haven't been here but Dutchman and Thrasher both speak highly of it so its on my list.

Day 21; head off in time for lunch at Whim Creek Pub if possible, past Port Hedland and two hours further up to 80 Mile Beach. Magic place.

Day 22; 80 mile beach. One of the great driving beaches. Head 20kms north to the creek mouth (don't drive on to the big flat sand area near the mouth, very soft) and fish the rivermouth for threadfin. Bait available at caravan park at 80 mile.

Day 23; stay another day, it's so relaxing. Collect shells from beach, spin out at tides.

Day 24; head up to Barn Hill station, about 2.5 hours away. Another great place.

Day 25; chill, and explore at Barn Hill another day.

Day 26 only hour and a half from Barn Hill to Broome.

That gives you an extra couple of days to flesh out with extra time at spots you like, or extra detours. Total distance I would estimate to be about 3000 to 3200kms including all detours and diversions.

Useful links;

https://www.wooramel.com.au/

Quobba Station | Gascoyne Region, Western Australia

steeppoint

Kalbarri Visitor Centre Australia - Home

Shark Bay » Home

Barn Hill Beachside Station Stay | Caravan Park Accommodation Broome Kimberley

Karijini Eco Retreat

Pinnacles Visitor Information Centre - Cervantes Accommodation, Tours & Information.

Another thing to note, each national park you visit will cost you $12 per visit, not including camping fees.

This includes Steep Point, Karijini, Cape Range (Exmouth), Kalbarri inland gorges, Pinnacles, Kennedy Ranges if you go there, not to mention Cape Le Grand down near Esperance.

If you buy a parks pass before hand it will pay for itself pretty quickly in your case I think. Probably the four week version for $44 and put start dye to coincide with end of it at last park entry (Karijini by this itinerary) as I think from memory Millstream is a free entry park.

https://shop.dpaw.wa.gov.au/park-passes

Well, hope that all helps, sing out if you have any more specific questions. This is pretty broad of course but is a good cross section of this side of the country. I'm envious, you'll love it!

built not bought
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Leethal For This Useful Post:
05_ENFORCER (19-03-2017), geeyoutoo (20-03-2017), metric (20-03-2017), skegbudley (21-03-2017), Softy (20-03-2017), Thrasher (20-03-2017), tisch (11-04-2017)
Old 20-03-2017, 12:00 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leethal View Post
Ok Metric and co, sorry this took a little longer than I had intended, but I have a four week suggested itinerary for you from Perth to Broome.
Holy Snapping Duck $hit Batman.

I've noted you're lacking a little bit of detail. No accurate gps coordinates to send to the HN7 as way points. You've also neglected to state where each pub is along the route!

Nahhh realy.... Wow!

The detail is a bit/lot overwhelming!

I'll spend the next 5 months looking at maps now to familiarize myself with your suggestions. Only part I'll skip is Monkey Mia and the catamaran cruise.
We did that when we did our "quick trip". The cruise was great. We spotted the back of a Dugong about 1 nautical mile away but caught up with a group of scientists tagging sharks which was really interesting to watch.
The Dolphin feeding was pretty ordinary we thought. You don't actually feed the Dolphins.
You get to stand in the water and "1" person is chosen from the crowd to feed them.

Snorkeling is out too. Theresa can't swim.. Hmmmm, given a little thought, the cruise might be on the cards

All the rest looks magic

Old 20-03-2017, 05:44 PM
The Googlest, Apparently!

Thanked 2,536 Times in 1,671 Posts

Fed the dolphins at monkey mia several times, back when you actually fed them yourself, with some of the catch you caught yourself as you pulled the boat up.

Not a ranger of do-gooder in sight.

But people who went there back then were normal people, not the trash you would get now who would feed them a hook loaded fish or try to ride them, or what ever else chitbrained lowlifes would try to do.
Old 20-03-2017, 06:07 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Yep, you can just imagine it in a few years time. Any poor bugger passing through town in a GQ will have all the local aboriginal kids running up to them "are you my daddy?"
I've just re-read this post for the tenth time and want to give thanks 1 more time..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to metric For This Useful Post:
Thrasher (20-03-2017), VinceGU05 (23-03-2017)
Old 20-03-2017, 10:47 PM
..Hollywood..

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
Only part I'll skip is Monkey Mia and the catamaran cruise.
We did that when we did our "quick trip". The cruise was great. We spotted the back of a Dugong about 1 nautical mile away but caught up with a group of scientists tagging sharks which was really interesting to watch.
The Dolphin feeding was pretty ordinary we thought. You don't actually feed the Dolphins.
You get to stand in the water and "1" person is chosen from the crowd to feed them.

Snorkeling is out too. Theresa can't swim...

No prob I actually enjoyed studying my (paper) map looking at where I'd go if I were doing that for a month.

Ok snorkelling is out for Mrs Metric, how about you? At turquoise bay we do the drift snorkel, fitting in between the young European ladies in bikinis who need reassuring it is safe... Then Mrs Leethal stays on the beach and chills, and I go back to the start and do my duty to go an reassure the backpackers again. If neither of you are into that, it is still a mind blowing beach to sun bake. Also around there is a great visitor's centre, and plenty of campsites if you're not staying in Exmouth.

In any case this makes it even more important to do the glass bottom boat cruise at Coral Bay. To get to see the Great Barrier Reef it is a long way from shore, we stayed on Hamilton Island last year and still had to go on a half hour boat ride to get out there. At Coral Bay, Ningaloo Reef is close enough you could throw a boondie from shore and hit it, literally, and it's even more beautiful. I love Coral Bay, such a relaxing place, we'd normally go there for a week at least. While you're there, tell Theresa and write this down now as the most important thing to do in WA. In the small shopping arcade is a bakery. When you have a surf and turf pie (chunks of beef in bottom half, creamy garlic prawns top half), you will quiver in taste-ecstasy

When you leave you'll buy a dozen and put them in your freezer.

As for Monkey Mia... Yes I agree it's over rated (not to mention over priced) but I wasn't aware you'd been there and I don't like to knock it when people haven't been as many people have it on their bucket list.

The boardwalk and lookout at Skipjack is fantastic, you'll see sharks, manta rays, dugongs, you name it. Also the hot tub at the homestead, take a few coldies in there late arvo or early evening and it's very relaxing. Emus hang around on the adjacent lawn, and there's has BBQs if you want to cook up a feed.

Another suggestion (with some apprehension) to add a couple of days... Either before or after Denham, stay at Carrarang Station, which is on the Useless Loop road heading out to Steep Point (do your Steep Point day trip from there). As its before the salt mine turn off, it's a very good gravel road almost all the way, so you could take your van if it's a gravel road type.

You'd really want to stay at a spot called 'Caravans', it has a shack with tin roof, shade cloth walls that block all the wind, and a big pot belly type stove in the middle with a flat top so you can cook in your frypan on it as well as keeping warm, and you'll catch snapper hand over fist out the front of your shack. Dreadful

Oh.... The apprehension... You must prebook with the manager, Tony, but he's very hard to get hold of and not big on replying to emails with any haste, so worth giving it a try but keep Denham as the plan B of you can't get hold of him.

Tamala Station is the one before Carrarang, you can camp there too but they give you a camp site, Carrarang gives you a whole BAY, even if you can't get Caravans. When they are completely 'packed out', you are at least 5kms from the next camper lol

Tamala & Carrarang Stations » Shark Bay

I've made sure that it is crystal clear with Linda and my family that, should anything premature and untoward happen to me, I want my ashes spread at Steep Point, so I make no apologies for my excessive enthusiasm for this whole Shark Bay area, it is world class and I love it.

built not bought
Old 20-03-2017, 11:08 PM
..Hollywood..

Garage

The Coral Bay reef and beef pie is even world famous on TripAdvisor lol

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowU...Australia.html

But wait, there's more fans

TO STAY OR TO GO?: Coral Resort Bakery: Birthplace of My Pie Obsession

built not bought
Old 20-03-2017, 11:23 PM
..Hollywood..

Garage

To give you an idea...

The shack at 'Caravans' at Carrarang Station, Shark Bay.

The 'kitchen'...

The pinkies from the beach next to the shack..

Fishing from the cliffs at Steep Point;

The coral reef 50 metres from shore at Coral Bay;

Hand feeding the snapper from the beach at Coral Bay;

Coral Bay... Dreadful spot;

Bit of a teaser for you!!!

built not bought
Old 20-03-2017, 11:55 PM
Educated Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leethal View Post
To give you an idea...

Coral Bay... Dreadful spot;

Bit of a teaser for you!!!
So you're one of Graham's mates are you?
Met him once down my way many years ago. Seemed like a alright guy.

Franky
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 624004e9f9b7edc90050b36ccbe41df4.jpg (67.0 KB, 136 views)
Old 23-03-2017, 11:25 AM
--- The Rodfather ---

Thanked 5,134 Times in 3,629 Posts
Garage

With many of us making this Esperance trip and possibly being in remote areas for a while I thought this might be worth a peruse for some.

Breakdowns in the Outback a few tips

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives
NADS, So You Bought a ZD30DI
http://powercurve.com.au/
My Dawes valve works fine! Where did I go wrong? .

Domestic Violence Has No Excuse, Rugby League Players Are Not Above The Law.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:39 AM
Pass the Popcorn

Garage

Howdy Gents,

Couple of questions sparked from Ronnie Dahl's most recent video I saw recently.

What's the go with the chemical toilet situation over there? Do WA's camping rules dictate people entering from another state have one one them? Being from a state with no waste drop off point available I know the many uses of a shovel when camping. Do I need one to visit for a week weeks?

Can any of the natives confirm his statement below in the 200 series land crab review, particularly between 26:00-26:40 mins?

https://youtu.be/zQYNp6DDKEU

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:35 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MQTray View Post
Howdy Gents,

Couple of questions sparked from Ronnie Dahl's most recent video I saw recently.

What's the go with the chemical toilet situation over there? Do WA's camping rules dictate people entering from another state have one one them? Being from a state with no waste drop off point available I know the many uses of a shovel when camping. Do I need one to visit for a week weeks?

Can any of the natives confirm his statement below in the 200 series land crab review, particularly between 26:00-26:40 mins?

https://youtu.be/zQYNp6DDKEU
Yes, that is interesting so more info required from the locals, I liked the presenters comment about people who don't know how to dig a hole causing this...... They walk among us.....

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 09-04-2017, 04:30 PM

In some places, like Warroora Station up at Ningaloo, you have to take a chem toilet or you cant stay there (you can hire them for $15 a day from them if you don't have one).

The 40 mile and Cleaverville camp sites near Karratha are another (no dunny hire) I know of.

This is the standard for all the places deemed 'environmentally fragile' in WA.

But there are not that many of them, and despite an attempt to block it bush camping is still allowed in most areas (not 'environmentally fragile'). And digging a hole is still the norm.

Who's to stop you, any idea how big this place is? How many rangers would be needed? And how much money the govt has to enforce it lol.

However, if you do have a chem toilet you are NOT allowed to just dump it in a hole. You MUST dispose of it at an approved location (Esperance or Balladoina will be the closest depending on which way you are going).

Also of note, camping in the Cape Le Grand National Park is at approved camp grounds only. No bush camping. And that is where we will be. All campsites have toilet facilities.

If we venture out to Cape Arid National Park if we 'must' camp in the 'environmentally fragile' areas on the Esperance end of the park then you need to camp at Thomas River, Thomas Fishery, Seal Creek, Jorndee Creek or Mt Ragged. Fees apply. Campsites are not bookable and operate on a first come first served basis.

However, once you push on out to Israelite Bay and beyond you are on your own (there is a free campsite at Israelite Bay that they ask you to use, but in the 4 times I have been out there I never have).

Take a shovel ...
The Following User Says Thank You to DB-101 For This Useful Post:
MQTray (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 06:29 PM

Default Esperance 2017 Meetup Chat Thread

This sounds like a not to bad idea . I live one minute from the mighty Murray river and must say it's an absolute disgrace the way the camp sites are treated . Rubbish left every where , fires started in multiple
Spots also full of bottles and other items that don't burn . Then to top it off every second tree full of toilet paper and Sh.t . Some thing needs to happen but I doubt it Ever will . Iam out there every night and fear long weekends as that's when it's left in the worst state . I've watched it get worse over the last 20 years .

Last edited by Dark side; 09-04-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:25 AM
Educated Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB-101 View Post
In some places, like Warroora Station up at Ningaloo, you have to take a chem toilet or you cant stay there (you can hire them for $15 a day from them if you don't have one).

The 40 mile and Cleaverville camp sites near Karratha are another (no dunny hire) I know of.

This is the standard for all the places deemed 'environmentally fragile' in WA.

But there are not that many of them, and despite an attempt to block it bush camping is still allowed in most areas (not 'environmentally fragile'). And digging a hole is still the norm.

Who's to stop you, any idea how big this place is? How many rangers would be needed? And how much money the govt has to enforce it lol.

However, if you do have a chem toilet you are NOT allowed to just dump it in a hole. You MUST dispose of it at an approved location (Esperance or Balladoina will be the closest depending on which way you are going).

Also of note, camping in the Cape Le Grand National Park is at approved camp grounds only. No bush camping. And that is where we will be. All campsites have toilet facilities.

If we venture out to Cape Arid National Park if we 'must' camp in the 'environmentally fragile' areas on the Esperance end of the park then you need to camp at Thomas River, Thomas Fishery, Seal Creek, Jorndee Creek or Mt Ragged. Fees apply. Campsites are not bookable and operate on a first come first served basis.

However, once you push on out to Israelite Bay and beyond you are on your own (there is a free campsite at Israelite Bay that they ask you to use, but in the 4 times I have been out there I never have).

Take a shovel ...
I think you'll find you can within reason if you use an additive like this. Just means a slightly bigger hole less often. Sure stations up North have their own rules. Phil the owner of Ningalloo Station actually put me onto this stuff. Amazing how it breaks things down quickly and naturally. That is the key.
All Waste Tank 1L - Biomagic

Franky.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:44 AM

Ahh, not so Franky. Laws changed a couple of years back.

Relevant ruling from Lands Department.

Mobile home and portable toilet waste includes waste from mobile homes and portable cartridge type toilets for caravans.

Requirements
All portable toilet waste that is to be discharged must be disposed of at designated mobile home and portable toilet cartridge dump facilities which could be located at caravan parks, roadside stops, showgrounds and other locations.

As I have mentioned you can still bury it if you don't have a chem toilet, but a chem toilet must be disposed of at a proper facility.

As for using a shovel if no toilet facility and for outback travelling in WA, this is the relevant rulings for that.

Use portable toilets where possible and take waste with you. If no toilets, use an area 100 metres from creeks and campsites. Bury human waste 30cm deep, then fill, compact and disguise the hole.

I don't get the disguise the hole bit, better to leave a little mound so you don't go digging up someone else's chit lol.

As for burying a chem toilet, I know people who still do when out of the south west corner, but they will still get charged if they are caught.

But lets face it, there are not many rangers about outback.

However, in saying that, I have noticed over the last 5 or 6 years when travelling to rellies properties around the state that the proliferation of duly authorised aboriginal quasi-rangers has multiplied exponentially. As most of the state has been given back to them they could be lurking behind any tree or termite mound these days.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:32 AM
The Member Formerly Known as Lusty Dusty

I take 'disguising' as puting a heavish log or branch over it to prevent wild dogs and foxes from digging it up.
As far as indigenious rangers, appointed or not, from what I've witnessed, the white fella has more respect for the land than they do......lol.
Old 24-04-2017, 11:16 AM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Just on the news, a study finds that Australia has a 3 tiered economy, the first 2 are found in the Eastern States and the lowest in WA. Seeing as we will be coming across and adding to employment, should I approach the WA Govt for a grant to help us get over there to do this good work??????

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 24-04-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeyoutoo View Post
Just on the news, a study finds that Australia has a 3 tiered economy, the first 2 are found in the Eastern States and the lowest in WA. Seeing as we will be coming across and adding to employment, should I approach the WA Govt for a grant to help us get over there to do this good work??????
Thanks for the offer GU2. I think Mark would just be happy if you and the rest of the East crew can load up your car with the GST we have been shafted on these past few years.
You might need to bring a bloody BIG trailer it's only a few Million $$$$
And don't forgot to apply for your 457 seens as your entering another country
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeroGU For This Useful Post:
05_ENFORCER (25-04-2017), geeyoutoo (25-04-2017), Thrasher (27-04-2017)
Old 26-04-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeroGU View Post
Thanks for the offer GU2. I think Mark would just be happy if you and the rest of the East crew can load up your car with the GST we have been shafted on these past few years.
You might need to bring a bloody BIG trailer it's only a few Billion $$$$
And don't forgot to apply for your 457 seens as your entering another country
Corrected for you. 39 of them in fact.
The Following User Says Thank You to DB-101 For This Useful Post:
GeroGU (26-04-2017)