Mobile Users - What are your problems and concerns? - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General > Patrol 4x4 WebSite Issues Only

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 10:29 AM
--- The Rodfather ---

Thanked 5,265 Times in 3,725 Posts
Garage
Default Mobile Users - What are your problems and concerns?

Hi Guy's, We have a conversation going with our owners on a couple of topics, one particular is the growing use of mobile technology and the limits it places on users. One point I raised was the inability of members to see polls, the Autoguide admin I was discussing this with came back showing me one of my polls on her mobile, how can this be when I get told all the time people can't see this or can't see that???? So there are two things that leap out at me, an education programme and an upgrading of the mobile system.

When making a contribution you need to name the system you use, ie TapaTalk/AutoGuide.

Here is your chance to tell us what you would like to see happen with mobile mobile interaction to our forum.
What can't you see on your mobile that you can on a laptop/PC?
What do you need to make it a more pleasant experience?

This is a serious issue for serious input to us so posts that don't give feedback that is meaningful or relevant will be deleted and the poster given an infraction or possibly banned. As an example, I don't care if you don't like or look at polls, they are just an example of some of the difficulties

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives
NADS, So You Bought a ZD30DI
http://powercurve.com.au/
My Dawes valve works fine! Where did I go wrong? .

Domestic Violence Has No Excuse, Rugby League Players Are Not Above The Law.

Last edited by geeyoutoo; 13-05-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2017, 11:24 AM

Geeyoutoo, when discussing do you mean using a mobile to search the browser, browsing via an app (Tapatalk) or a combination of both?

I use my mobile and Tapatalk about 95% of the time. This means I can see comments in polls, but can't vote or see the results of polls.

Also, I can't make out any of the forum specific animations through Tapatalk. It may seem trivial but sometimes it helps understand the context of another forum users comments.

Just a thought.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Benno's ST For This Useful Post:
kimba11 (12-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 11:44 AM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benno's ST View Post
Geeyoutoo, when discussing do you mean using a mobile to search the browser, browsing via an app (Tapatalk) or a combination of both?

I use my mobile and Tapatalk about 95% of the time. This means I can see comments in polls, but can't vote or see the results of polls.

Also, I can't make out any of the forum specific animations through Tapatalk. It may seem trivial but sometimes it helps understand the context of another forum users comments.

Just a thought.
Thank you. That is exactly what I'm after, and I understand, it is frustrating to me for people to come back and tell me they can't see things we have done. I have linked this thread directly so that our Autoguide contact can view it when they are on duty, the more specific people are with problems the better, maybe we can hone in on a specific system, I know Tapa can be a pain and Autoguide don't control them, anyway we may not change the world but it could be a start to better communication.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 11-05-2017, 12:04 PM
Here To Be Entertained

Thanked 3,731 Times in 2,565 Posts
Garage

Have seen this, but struggling for time to respond properly. Will sit down later and try and dot point things between autoguide and tapa.
The Following User Says Thank You to GUEY For This Useful Post:
skegbudley (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 12:09 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUEY View Post
Have seen this, but struggling for time to respond properly. Will sit down later and try and dot point things between autoguide and tapa.
Cool and thanks, appreciate that effort, I actually used you to tell our Tech that I have bounced questions off you in the past as I know you use both PC and phone so you know the differences well.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 11-05-2017, 02:17 PM
Here To Be Entertained

Garage

Ok, here we go Phone = Samsung Galaxy S7
Predominately desktop pc based (work) or tapatalk (all other times) user on mobile. Can't comment on tablet size viewing as I don't own one.
This is all opinion based, and will be biased towards tapatalk as that is what I use mostly for mobile.
If you have tried tapatalk and don't like it for whatever reason, feel free to post away below.

Autoguide app - dead a buried years ago, and was basically tapatalk anyway.

Desktop view on mobile - works ok and has all the pc features, but you are forever zooming in and out viewing content. Very painfull and hence most sites have mobile view.
An old HTC phone I had, had auto screen fit, but new phones don't seem to have this anymore.
Using things like font size or colour is hopeless without a stylus though. At least you have this option as a desktop site I guess.
Long winded posting photos etc compared to mobile view or tapa.

Enhanced Mobile View - Have just been playing around on it to see if there have been any changes, and TBH, not a lot better than desktop view, but it is better.
Still involves more scrolling than neccesary. However content is compressed as it should be for mobile viewing.
Loading of images. Was covered in this thread - Upcoming changes to the Autoguide App.

But just did a quick test to see if anything had changed, and it hasn't. Test for comparison

I guess if you use a third party host like photobucket etc, you could input pics between text. This is a long winded process also jumping between pages.

It is a lot easier to load than on a desktop, but not being able to input text between pics is a deal breaker.
No thanks button - no deal breaker, but would be handy if you want people to use it like the full site.
Doesn't jump to the last unread post like tapatalk. Will go to the last page, but not post. Unnecessary scrolling.
Do find it clunky and slow to load. Pic viewing as attachments isn't great.

Tapatalk - Ok, this isn't autoguides app, and I can appreciate that they want their own platform. But if you want a platform that people will use, this is it for ease and simplicity IMO.
What can't tapa do - see polls.
That's about it from memory.
Ok, if you have a really long post like this one, then desktop is simpler

What can it do - easiest way by far to load pics. Will mostly jump on my phone and load pics rather than use desktop pc even.
Easiest platform by far to view forum content on.
Has the ability to be dumbed down in low quality internet areas. IE, you can turn off images, previews, avatars etc that use data for loading, and mostly not allow the page to load due to taking too long.

There are probably things I've missed on all, but that is a good starting point for conversation.
Pretty sure I have some good spelling and punctuation mistakes for the grammar pc mob also...
Work beckons
geeyoutoo (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 07:01 PM
GHMBC #3

I don't see all pictures on tapa .when I open the threadI get a 'broken biscuit'.click on it loads and if more than 1 photo can swipe.in a post with 5 pics all show as broken biscuits- click 1/5 shows then swipe.
See no polls
See no signatures but see the 'last edited by xx_xxxetc' line
Can go advanced and put text between photo's.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Gasburner; 11-05-2017 at 07:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gasburner For This Useful Post:
geeyoutoo (18-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 12:01 AM
..Hollywood..

Thanked 5,784 Times in 3,198 Posts
Garage

I split my use between iPhone and iPad.

I only use tapa if I'm uploading pics, otherwise never.

Normal safari browser works great, not sure what Guey meant regarding zooming in on mobiles.

I only have to zoom a bit first thing in the morning due to encroaching lack of youth

I don't really see any problems that need to be fixed to be honest, unless you could make it as easy as tapa to upload pics with a normal browser... And Ross TBH I don't recall anyone ever saying they couldn't see polls on mobiles, but dozens have said they couldn't see them on tapatalk. Sure you haven't mixed up the two or made a leap of assumption?

built not bought
The Following User Says Thank You to Leethal For This Useful Post:
geeyoutoo (18-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 12:35 AM
Administrator

Garage

There are many reasons why we don't enjoy using tapatalk and would rather work on our own. One that I can think about is that since tapatalk is their own company, their updates and changes aren't always told to us and changes are made on the app based on their own interest and business strategy. They also cater to all sorts of forums, not just vbulletin, xenforo, IPbaord and phpbb, therefore compatibility can also be an issue.

based on the feedback we've see here, we'll use it towards building our own app and make it more appealing to the users on our forums.

Thank you.

Lee
The Following User Says Thank You to ModAdmin For This Useful Post:
geeyoutoo (18-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 05:05 AM
Here To Be Entertained

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leethal View Post
I split my use between iPhone and iPad.

I only use tapa if I'm uploading pics, otherwise never.

Normal safari browser works great, not sure what Guey meant regarding zooming in on mobiles.

I only have to zoom a bit first thing in the morning due to encroaching lack of youth
That would be the encroaching age thing you speak of most likely

geeyoutoo (18-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 07:42 AM
..Hollywood..

Thanked 5,784 Times in 3,198 Posts
Garage

Yep I turn phone sideways so letters are bigger, but isn't tapa the same anyway with text size?

built not bought
The Following User Says Thank You to Leethal For This Useful Post:
geeyoutoo (18-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 08:15 AM
Here To Be Entertained

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leethal View Post
Yep I turn phone sideways so letters are bigger, but isn't tapa the same anyway with text size?
No, tapa fills the screen more. Makes for more lines when reading, but bigger letters are good.
Not so much the individual post reading anyway, but main page and subsections etc.

This is where the enhanced mobile view really hammers desktop version. Just needs all the bits I noted above fixed to make it more user friendly.

More screenshots showing what I mean.

Tapatalk main page. All sections readable and fit.

Desktop view - need to zoom then scroll to navigate. Would imagine large fingers would make it even harder.

Enhanced mob view - Readable, but still lots of scrolling to get where you want.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GUEY For This Useful Post:
geeyoutoo (18-05-2017), Leethal (12-05-2017), Softy (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 08:28 AM

Garage

I use an iPad 99% of the time to view this forum as this is what I use for virtually all my internet browsing.I use the laptop to upload photos especially for the current trip report as that's where all the photos are stored. I have used the iPad to upload a photo sorted on the ipad just once and the functionality seemed to work fine.

I don't use the mobile version because it keeps trying to trying to switch me to the mobile version and I prefer the look of the classic version you get on laptop and tablet and it's harder to view posts in this format.
The Following User Says Thank You to GutzzGU For This Useful Post:
geeyoutoo (18-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 11:48 PM
Administrator

Garage

Hey folks,

Good feedback in here so far. Just an FYI about the desktop view is that it's trying to compress the entire site down into the limits of your device's resolution. Turning your device sideways may help the viewing but there is not much that can be done here for that.

This is also why a mobile view is a good alternative.

- JB
geeyoutoo (18-05-2017)
Old 13-05-2017, 10:53 AM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,885 Posts

Taptalk is by far the best way to read the forum and for loading pics, when on the phone and tablet.
Foo

Last edited by geeyoutoo; 13-05-2017 at 11:47 AM. Reason: relevance
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foo For This Useful Post:
geeyoutoo (18-05-2017), VinceGU05 (15-05-2017)
Old 13-05-2017, 08:40 PM

All my use is on the iPad.
Changes, I'd like to be able to load more than one photo per post and for the page numbers to be bigger. Half the time you need to actually zoom in so the numbers are big enough for you to tap on and if you don't you end up going to page 3 instead of page 2 ��
The Following User Says Thank You to razor2000 For This Useful Post:
geeyoutoo (18-05-2017)
Old 14-05-2017, 01:33 AM

I only seem to use tapatalk and works well for me.
I guess cause i dont know any better?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to MaxChickens For This Useful Post:
geeyoutoo (18-05-2017)
Old 14-05-2017, 07:58 AM

I used to dislike tapa, but it really is pretty handy besides the polls thing. I also use it like guey, in night mode is more pleasing to the eyes. But if the site wants to try building their own I would support that too
The Following User Says Thank You to jazie For This Useful Post:
geeyoutoo (18-05-2017)
Old 14-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Predominately use iPhone 6 plus.

Use Safari so standard desk top view.

Really don't like the enhanced mobile view.

Only negative with Safari is up loading pictures, might be doing it wrong but add in links from photobucket.

Tried tapatalk but never really liked the format except adding photos bit.

Cheers

Justin
The Following User Says Thank You to parscheese For This Useful Post:
geeyoutoo (18-05-2017)
Old 18-05-2017, 05:48 AM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor2000 View Post
All my use is on the iPad.
Changes, I'd like to be able to load more than one photo per post and for the page numbers to be bigger. Half the time you need to actually zoom in so the numbers are big enough for you to tap on and if you don't you end up going to page 3 instead of page 2 ��
Are you using site full site or emv within Safari on your iPad? Have you tried Tapatalk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazie View Post
I used to dislike tapa, but it really is pretty handy besides the polls thing. I also use it like guey, in night mode is more pleasing to the eyes. But if the site wants to try building their own I would support that too
How are you seeing the polls on tapatalk and on what device/browser? Can you provide a screenshot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parscheese View Post
Predominately use iPhone 6 plus.

Use Safari so standard desk top view.

Really don't like the enhanced mobile view.

Only negative with Safari is up loading pictures, might be doing it wrong but add in links from photobucket.

Tried tapatalk but never really liked the format except adding photos bit.

Cheers

Justin
Hey Justin - what don't you like about the emv on Safari? And Tapatalk (what don't you like)? How is Safari with loading pictures (desktop or emv)?

Would you guys find it helpful if we provided a tutorial on how to navigate on the mobile skin (emv)? Also, we are open for suggestions on ways to improve the mobile experience (will need to clarify different mobile devices/OS/browser) so we can narrow it down.

Thanks for your feedback guys. We will do our best to address them all as soon as we can. Thank you.

Cheers,
Natalie

Last edited by ModAdmin; 18-05-2017 at 05:49 AM. Reason: adding suggestion
geeyoutoo (18-05-2017)