Conversion Options (Sheepdog98). - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussions > Patrol Engine Conversion Forum

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-03-2017, 11:14 AM
The Googlest, Apparently!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,609 Posts
Default Conversion Options (Sheepdog98).

Quote:
Hi guys,

I finally sold my '04 TD42TI Patrol wagon after 9 years and just took delivery of a new 2016 Y61 3.0LT wagon. And from going from a 200rwkw pleasure to drive machine to a brand new major disappointment, after owning it for 5 weeks I am looking at an engine conversion. This Patrol is number 6 for me and have loved them all, but now I am left wondering what I have just done.

I looked at spending around $10,000 on the 3.0LT but still cannot guarantee reliability and longevity with it. I also am not convinced that I will be happy with the output result anyway.

So, I was looking at a custom built 6.5 Chev turbo intercooled diesel to maximise power and torque output but keep it all mechanical for simplicity and reliability issues. But I may have an issue with emissions. I would love a Duramax but can't justify $45-60,0000 dollars for a conversion. My other choice is a Chev petrol 6.2 LS3. But I am looking at a new crate 480hp (340KW) HSV engine which I will run the factory 5 speed manual box with. I did look at the 6.2 LSA supercharged version also but cannot run a water pump driven clutch fan for cooling and must run the low mount alternator. It also has more sensors and electronic controls for tuning. It all adds to reliability issues in the bush compared to the LS3 engine which have been beaten to death in many competition vehicles and more on road vehicles. They also return decent fuel figures too. Parts are very cheap and readily available too which is a plus. The LS3 also leads to a fair weight saving over the 3.0LT which helps once you add bar work, drawers, long range tanks, etc. As we know all our Patrols get too heavy.

So any thoughts or opinions on my two engines of choice would be greatly appreciated. I am looking at keeping this wagon for many years to come.

Thanks for your time,

Cheers Keith....

With regard to the emissions for a 6.5 Chev.

Yes you will, the last Patrol this motor can go into and still pass is a 2009 model.

I had a 6.5, was good for me, I really liked it despite all the boat anchor comments, beat the hell out of my previous TD42.

Sold it when I moved overseas.

Now have a 2009 Ti and originally was going to put an ADC duramax in it, but like everyone else knows ADC turned out to be the biggest bullchitting twat the world has ever known.

So I had a talk with Brunswick Diesels about a P400 6.5, Apparently my 2009 Ti was one month inside the cut off date (Sept date), Oct 2009 and you can not do it.

Ended up doing a Duramax anyway, just NOT ADC ...

Last edited by heyhey; 21-03-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-03-2017, 08:05 AM
--- The Rodfather ---

Thanked 4,918 Times in 3,469 Posts
Garage

Thanks DB, have changed the title to Conversion Options.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives
NADS, So You Bought a ZD30DI
My Dawes valve works fine! Where did I go wrong? .

Domestic Violence Has No Excuse, Rugby League Players Are Not Above The Law.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 21-03-2017, 09:02 AM

That's quite interesting about the MY2009 as the last to be able to be converted to 6.5.
Mines a late 2007 CRD and was my understanding that a 6.5 was not legal due to emissions.
However, I see that BD have a 2011 for sale with a 6.5, go figure.

Old 21-03-2017, 12:30 PM
Sydoforumsuperfan :)

Thanked 1,355 Times in 974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by poindexter View Post
That's quite interesting about the MY2009 as the last to be able to be converted to 6.5.
Mines a late 2007 CRD and was my understanding that a 6.5 was not legal due to emissions.
However, I see that BD have a 2011 for sale with a 6.5, go figure.
In WA The company who does the conversion ticks the emission test box. Easy as
Old 21-03-2017, 03:22 PM
The Googlest, Apparently!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydo View Post
In WA The company who does the conversion ticks the emission test box. Easy as
And that is it exactly.

They are their own engineers.

When I talked to them I was aware of this and the discussion went something like this.

We can put one in any Patrol or Land Cruiser and have it engineered for license in house. But if you were to be made to go over the pits at a later date you may have a problem.

From 07 to 09 the only legal conversion was the Optimiser or the P400. All previous engine models would fail emissions.

The Optimiser and the P400 will still pass if configured correctly until that time.

09 was the introduction of Euro 5 standard, maybe that had something to do with it, I don't know.
The Following User Says Thank You to DB-101 For This Useful Post:
Sydo (21-03-2017)
Old 21-03-2017, 03:35 PM

I actually have the ADR, but is too big to upload.
here is a summary:

Timetable for adoption of UN Regulation 83/.. standards in ADR79/..#:
Light Petrol and LPG Vehicles
Euro 2 adopted in ADR79/00 from 1/1/03 to 1/1/04 Euro 3 adopted in ADR79/01 from 1/1/05 to 1/1/06 Euro 4 adopted in ADR79/02 from 1/7/08 to 1/7/10 Euro 5 adopted in ADR79/03 (Core Euro 5)1 from 1/11/13 and ADR79/04 (Full Euro 5) from 1/11/16
Light Diesel Vehicles
Euro 2 adopted in ADR79/00 from 1/1/02 to 1/1/03 Euro 3 never formally adopted Euro 4 adopted in ADR79/012 from 1/1/06 to 1/1/07 Euro 5 adopted in ADR79/03 (Core Euro 5) from 1/11/13 and ADR79/04 (Full Euro 5) from 1/11/16
The Australian Government is currently considering the case for adopting Euro 6 through the Ministerial Forum on Vehicle Emissions. For further information, please visit https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/...rum/index.aspx.
# in each case, the first date applies to vehicle models first produced on or after that date, with all new vehicles required to comply by the second date.
1 The “core” Euro 5 requirements which apply in ADR79/03 require compliance with all the technical requirements of UN Regulation 83/06 except that ADR79/03:  allows the provision of PM mass emissions data based on the previous UN R83/05 (Annex 4) Type I test procedure (with a PM mass emissions limit of 0.005g/km) in lieu of data collected under the revised test procedure (Annex 4a of UN R83/06) which specifies a limit of 0.0045g/km);  accepts a relaxed OBD threshold limit (80mg/km) for PM mass for M and N category vehicles of reference mass >1760kg;  does not require compliance with the PM number limit specified for diesel vehicles in UN R83/06;  does not require compliance with the In Use Performance Ratio for OBD systems in UN R83/06;  does not require the NOx monitoring for petrol vehicles specified in UN R83/06; and  only requires flex fuel vehicles to meet the Type VI test when tested on petrol.
2 Euro 4 was first adopted for light diesel vehicles in ADR79/01, but was effectively replaced by ADR79/02 from 1/7/08.