Climbing Uluru Yes/No - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General > Polls

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Should Australians and Tourists be allowed to climb Uluru?
yes 125 94.70%
No 7 5.30%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-04-2016, 12:22 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Thanked 5,265 Times in 3,725 Posts
Garage
Default Climbing Uluru Yes/No

Once again the subject of closing Uluru to climbing has raised its head. As someone who has climbed Uluru, I am concerned that the privilege will be lost forever, even though I have respect for the aboriginal community that wants this, it is bigger than them, it is also our Australia, like it or not we have been here for over 200 years, we did not choose to be born here and become Australians, it is an accident of birth, so we have rights as well.

So, what do you think? I am very interested in the voice of the "average" Australian of which I feel we represent.

Uluru2.jpg

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives
NADS, So You Bought a ZD30DI
http://powercurve.com.au/
My Dawes valve works fine! Where did I go wrong? .

Domestic Violence Has No Excuse, Rugby League Players Are Not Above The Law.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-04-2016, 12:59 PM

Garage

We are all Australian, we should all be allowed to climb it.

I have climbed it and I want my kids to experience it as well, when they are older.

93 GQ TD42 Dual Cab
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 20-04-2016, 01:48 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Thanked 4,523 Times in 3,231 Posts

I own the rock as much as anyone else that was born here.
The indigenous people should have no more rites than us on the subject.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to skegbudley For This Useful Post:
BushRanger7 (25-04-2016)

Old 20-04-2016, 02:37 PM

Garage

When I first went to Ayres Rock in 1984, the traditional owners asked tourists to climb the rock rather than walk around it due to the cultural and sacred sights around the base. There were only a few short access areas at the base.
How can these sacred areas change so easliy?

Next time I go, I'm going to climb it again.

How many international travellers would fly into Yulara just to see it from the base? Most want to get up the top. Another detriment to international tourisim in Australia. Next we wont be able to snorkel on the reef cos of increased bleaching
Smiling all the way
Old 20-04-2016, 03:09 PM

Garage

Out of curiosity, How are "they" the traditional owners?
I'm damned sure they didn't pay for what they claim to own.

Our ancestors got here by boat, their ancestors walked here.
Old 20-04-2016, 03:16 PM

They can all get bent.
I dont think they should have any more rights to land then any other Australian. As has been stated the Aborigines ancestor's are also immigrants.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaxChickens For This Useful Post:
madk1w1 (21-04-2016), shanfab (21-04-2016)
Old 20-04-2016, 03:42 PM

Garage

Climbed it in 2013. Awesome experience - every Australian should be able to experience it, as well as tourists from abroad. It's what makes this country so magnificent - let's not lock it up, let's not pander to the minority regardless of their colour or religion.
CC Ultimate Intercooler
Fatz 4 Inch Snorkel & Air Box
Oz is now FLAT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patrol dude For This Useful Post:
geeyoutoo (20-04-2016), Overboard (20-04-2016)
Old 20-04-2016, 06:50 PM

Garage

I forgot to add, I've climbed it twice.
Once by my self, Theresa chickened out.
Once with my daughter and again Theresa chickened out (but claims next time she'll do it.)

Pictures don't do it any form of justice, it is that spectacular.
For those not at peak fitness (packet a day people) there's also a sense of achievement to accompany the views.
Old 20-04-2016, 08:07 PM

I was there September last year and was keen to climb it, as we pulled it the car park we seen people coming down the rock and thought, sweet it's open but as we're walking up to it they closed the bloody thing. Apparently it was "To windy." and it's more common for it to be closed more than opened these days. We were quite disappointed and talk of them closing it down for good really pisses me off.
Old 20-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Glasshouse Bogan #1

Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,157 Posts

I don't care I've been there a few times and just never bothered climbing it i suppose it's a bit steep to cart the esky besides it looks good from the ground not sure what there is to see from up top.
Old 20-04-2016, 10:20 PM

Garage

It's the climb that just never ends - well at least it felt like that the sense of accomplishment at reaching the spire is just great. The view is just amazing and just the shear size and height of the rock will blow your mind. I reached the top just prior to sunset and had to really boggie on the way back down. Did take the opportunity to stop for 10 minutes to just soak up the enormity of it all.
Make the effort next time, it's worth it
CC Ultimate Intercooler
Fatz 4 Inch Snorkel & Air Box
Oz is now FLAT
Old 20-04-2016, 10:29 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedGu View Post
I don't care I've been there a few times and just never bothered climbing it i suppose it's a bit steep to cart the esky besides it looks good from the ground not sure what there is to see from up top.
You'll never never know if you never never go, it is actually quite a spectacular view from the top.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 20-04-2016, 10:54 PM
Pseudoiterative

Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,361 Posts

Have never been there but when I do go I will definitely do the climb.
Old 20-04-2016, 11:14 PM
..Hollywood..

Thanked 5,784 Times in 3,198 Posts
Garage

I've climbed it and thought it was a magnificent experience. The terrain on the top was quite different to what I expected, and the view was spectacular to say the least.

As an Australian I should be allowed to climb Ayer's Rock (because that's what it's called).

Just like I should be able to descend the gorges of Karijini, view the water fall at Mitchell Falls, stand on the four extreme cardinal points, and swim in any suitable waterhole I choose.

I cannot respect indigenous beliefs when they can be so easily bypassed with enough money, as is so often the case, especially when I don't believe they have any more rights to call it their own than I do.

We took the kids there in 2011, and they still occasionally mention it today. They say 'remember when we climbed Ayer's Rock?', and fail to mention the Simpson Desert, which was the same trip.

Money can't buy the sense of wonder and appreciation of Australia's natural beauty that you can instill in your kids with this kind of opportunity, and banning the climb should be fought tooth and nail. I'd be very disappointed to be a grumpy old grandad telling stories of when you used to be allowed to climb the rock.

built not bought
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Leethal For This Useful Post:
Burra boy (21-04-2016), gav15 (21-04-2016), geeyoutoo (21-04-2016), giantbrandon (18-05-2016), Karol (21-04-2016), metric (21-04-2016), RickGQ (21-04-2016), Squalo (20-04-2016)
Old 21-04-2016, 10:46 AM
The Googlest, Apparently!

Thanked 2,565 Times in 1,692 Posts

We all should be allowed to climb it. I have done it twice way back when it was unrestricted, fantastic and would do it again.

This chit needs to stop, we have been here 200 years and it is our country, all of us.

That is all.
Old 21-04-2016, 11:03 AM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Garage

Am I a tourist or Aussie nah just a Kiwi, of course you should be able to climb Ayers rock, when was it named changed to Uluru? Never been but will one day, only seen it from the airport, so if thewind is such an issue build a walkway and stairs minimise the damage and keep it open.

Now I am a land owner of this great country as such I own the top 300mm or there abouts, apparently, so if mr mining giant finds something of value he can mine it on my land and I get jack, it shiittts me senseless that so called traditional owners are "entitled" to ridiculous royalties, same in NZ give the maori there tribal waters to the 200mile limit with a commercial fishery to harvest it etc etc, it's BS maori want fishery use a canoe to 200miles likewise Aboriginals want traditional give back the money, cars, computers, electricity, booze, smokes mobile phones and go back to sticks and rocks.
Rant over
Put a Maccas on top of it will be open 24hr
Old 21-04-2016, 11:11 AM

The view from the top is spectacular, and well worth the climb. It's an unforgettable experience.
I've been fortunate enough to climb it twice, and would like to do it again.

We should be free to climb Ayers Rock and enjoy the outlook from the top. We're sacrificing too many of our freedoms for political correctness and that is a pity.
Old 21-04-2016, 11:19 AM

Hard to respect a "sacred" site when absolutely no respect is shown for any townships. Rubbish everywhere etc.

I don't believe in fairies and struggle to respect other's beliefs in them.

It's a natural wonder. They didn't build it. The argument about not climbing on church is irrelevant.

When I was there approx two years ago we were speaking to a few employees at the resort who said they don't want to stop climbing yet because less people will visit. The resort needs more visitors. It's aboriginal owned and isn't making any money (might have something to be with being extremely dated and tacky and overpriced).

Everyone in this country is even. No one group should have special privileges because of where they came from or because of the colour of their skin.

The health and safety argument is just a distraction. It's a personal choice. You can die falling off Kings canyon or drowning too.

Keep it open for everyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to topdeck For This Useful Post:
geeyoutoo (21-04-2016)
Old 21-04-2016, 11:59 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by madk1w1 View Post
so if thewind is such an issue build a walkway and stairs minimise the damage and keep it open.
It's not just the wind, they close it if it's too hot, too cold, if it's raining, if it might rain and for special secret squirrel reasons occasionally. When we visited in 2005 we had to wait 3 days before it was open, I am sure it's how they con people into staying in the overpriced accommodation for longer.

I really hope they don't build a staircase, to me that would be disrespectful. When the chains were put in, it was a different world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madk1w1 View Post
Put a Maccas on top of it will be open 24hr
I'm sure your joking, because that would be the ultimate insult to all us Aussies, black and white. Useless bloody Kiwis.

93 GQ TD42 Dual Cab

Last edited by Thrasher; 21-04-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 21-04-2016, 02:46 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leethal View Post
Money can't buy the sense of wonder and appreciation of Australia's natural beauty that you can instill in your kids with this kind of opportunity, and banning the climb should be fought tooth and nail. I'd be very disappointed to be a grumpy old grandad telling stories of when you used to be allowed to climb the rock.
Well I felt that strongly about it I started a change.org petition on it addressed to Greg Hunt and Adam Giles, that is a first for me.................

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives