Climbing Uluru Yes/No - Page 5 - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General > Polls

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Should Australians and Tourists be allowed to climb Uluru?
yes 125 94.70%
No 7 5.30%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-06-2016, 03:50 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Thanked 5,265 Times in 3,725 Posts
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batt's View Post
Yes we should be able to climb it and also not pay money because nobody owns it.

Aborigines did manage the land better than we have but I guess that's what we call progress which can be very destructive but more to the point I read something quite a few yrs ago they {claim they don't see themselves as owning land, nature or animals} but then they turn around and claim land rights wtf some of it is legit sacred sites fair enough some most probably not so much but if white man brings up certain points he is frowned upon for opening his mouth to the truth.
I would like to see the interview again Pauline Hanson done yrs ago when she went to a community and listened to the complaints I think it was from an elder and how the place was run down and there was rubbish spread around the community then she said what most people were thinking the truth shame on her talking about miss managed funds etc.
I was last at Uluru in the late 90's, did the Mereenie Loop back to Alice on my way to the Tanami, we were going to call into Hermannsburg for lunch but as we got closer the piles of empty VB cans got bigger and bigger and closer and closer, we turned in to town and there was this ramshackle house leaning to the left with a brand new white Landcruiser Sahara in the ramshackle leaning carport, the streets were filthy, we turned around and left. I hope it has improved since then but I remember looking at that Cruiser and thinking we could have spent that $120,000 a bit more wisely.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives
NADS, So You Bought a ZD30DI
http://powercurve.com.au/
My Dawes valve works fine! Where did I go wrong? .

Domestic Violence Has No Excuse, Rugby League Players Are Not Above The Law.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-06-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeyoutoo View Post
I was last at Uluru in the late 90's, did the Mereenie Loop back to Alice on my way to the Tanami, we were going to call into Hermannsburg for lunch but as we got closer the piles of empty VB cans got bigger and bigger and closer and closer, we turned in to town and there was this ramshackle house leaning to the left with a brand new white Landcruiser Sahara in the ramshackle leaning carport, the streets were filthy, we turned around and left. I hope it has improved since then but I remember looking at that Cruiser and thinking we could have spent that $120,000 a bit more wisely.
Yes some people have no respect for the free hand outs they get they just whinge about how hard done by they are and our stupid government gives the freeloaders more. I remember heading to Cooktown around 2001 and was so disappointed when we arrived at the Bloomfield region rubbish in yards trapped in the fences didn't stop just kept going That's when I thought people don't appreciate living in what should be paradise not the local tip which is what it resembled. My only regret is that I didn't take some photo's to alert others of what to expect and give some to my neighbour who is a photographer for a newspaper.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-05-2017, 10:36 AM

I climbed it in 1985 and it is still one of the highlights of my life. We went back a few years ago and were confronted with this request to respect the requests of local indigenous people and not climb it. We mulled it over and decided we'd just do the walk around the base. When we got around the back we could hear rap music coming from a hovel over in the trees. Then about 10 minutes later we had to jump off the track (literally) as an aboriginal boy came power sliding around a rock outcrop on a motocross bike. That did it for me. When we got back to the car park we made a bee line for the start of the climb only to be beaten by 10 paces by a ranger who closed the climb off due to wind conditions. I'm getting on in years now and I've worked and toured in many remote places in Qld & NT and try as I might to be sympathetic to the Aboriginals, I just can't. I can't respect a culture that doesn't respect itself. The little community south of Billiluna (Mulan?) blew my mind as did Lockhart River. How can humans live like they do? Having said that, I have met some lovely individuals over the years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deejay For This Useful Post:
geeyoutoo (09-05-2017)

Old 09-05-2017, 12:59 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Well said mate, I've done it myself and loved it and would do it again if I got the chance, as I said earlier this country is as much mine as anyone else's. Like you I have traveled up through there and the Kimberley and been through some great well kept areas but damn I've seen some horrible ones which makes it hard to rationalise some lines of thought/actions.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 09-05-2017, 01:00 PM

I've done it and would do it again

Last edited by Dark side; 09-05-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:09 PM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

....... edit
Already posted the same basic stuff earlier.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:57 PM

I climbed it in 1999.
Loved it.
Hope to take my kids there some day and climb it again.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:36 PM

I's called Ayers Rock in my book.

Years ago our bus driver showed us the cave on the southern end, filled with ancient rock drawings.

Before the internet, many photographers made their living touring the world and publishing photos of places like Ayers Rock. A Norwegian dude did a book on the outback, including a photo of that cave with bare walls, around the early 1960s.

The Aboriginal power over weak officialdom is quite strong, as every copy of that book worldwide was traced and destroyed, and even it's ISBN number was expunged. Our bus driver has a copy at his home.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:50 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMPatrol View Post
I's called Ayers Rock in my book.

Years ago our bus driver showed us the cave on the southern end, filled with ancient rock drawings.

Before the internet, many photographers made their living touring the world and publishing photos of places like Ayers Rock. A Norwegian dude did a book on the outback, including a photo of that cave with bare walls, around the early 1960s.

The Aboriginal power over weak officialdom is quite strong, as every copy of that book worldwide was traced and destroyed, and even it's ISBN number was expunged. Our bus driver has a copy at his home.
I didn't know that one but it is an uncommon scenario, some is already written up, but jsu to add, what century do you reckon dot paintings started ??????

Oh BTW, Aboriginal culture knows nothing about the Bradshaw's either!!!!!!!

Anyway, I'm an Australian and this is as much my country as anyone else's, that is and always has been my point, I tried to start a petition to the Pollies when I kicked this off but the silent majority stayed silent . There are already enough Aboriginal places around my country that I am excluded from, we don't need any more.

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 18-05-2017, 11:53 AM
..Hollywood..

Thanked 5,784 Times in 3,198 Posts
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeyoutoo View Post
I didn't know that one but it is an uncommon scenario, some is already written up, but jsu to add, what century do you reckon dot paintings started ??????.
Ha!

'Dot art' is not even aboriginal! It was started by an art teacher, Geoffret Bardon, in 1971 in Alice Springs lol

built not bought
Old 18-05-2017, 12:25 PM
--- The Rodfather ---

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leethal View Post
Ha!

'Dot art' is not even aboriginal! It was started by an art teacher, Geoffret Bardon, in 1971 in Alice Springs lol
Absobloodylutely correct, not in the culture whatsoever, go to the front of the class .

My Album
My Build
My Channel
ZD30DI Tech Archives

Old 18-05-2017, 06:36 PM

50000years in existence and they never got past stencil art, never invented a writing system and never discovered the wheel, while half the rest of the world had invented telescopes, calculated the diameter of the world, discovered maths and geometry and the list goes on.
Old 19-05-2017, 10:43 AM
Part Of The Furniture Round Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leethal View Post
Ha!

Yeah you don't see them in rock art ime.
I don't mind the look of them and my wife has a few.
I spent 15 years in Alice working for a builder and carting freight around the joint. Spent the last few years taking people to hospital from town camps.
One of the few positive things you see in those violent, squalid places was people doing dot paintings. Better than drinking grog and smashing each other over the head or stabbing each other to death anyway.
It gives them an income outside of handouts which is no small thing if you've grown up there I reckon.
Old 21-05-2017, 04:41 AM

Garage

As I'm travelling to Alice Springs in late July I hope to climb it, I'm allowing myself 2 chances one in the afternoon and then if that turns to S**T then I plan to have another go the following morning before I leave for Coober Pedy.