How to rebuild a low mount Warn step by step - Page 7 - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussions > Recovery Gear

Patrol4x4.com is the premier Nissan Patrol Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2017, 04:20 PM
..Hollywood..

Thanked 6,010 Times in 3,320 Posts
Garage

Yes it should fit (is there an echo in here?)...

The standard motors off the XD9000 and M8000 are both 4.5" diametre and interchangeable, and the 6hp certainly fits the XD9000, so logic would suggest.......

There's no point in me agreeing with you, then we'd both be wrong.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2017, 06:29 PM

Apparently getting the 6.5 motor into an gq arb motor on a low mount takes a bit of modification. Anyone done it? Warn advises me no too but.... I just want to watch the world burn lol

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-03-2017, 06:41 PM
..Hollywood..

Garage

Haha! Yes it would take a LOT of work. Because of the shape of the bar in the centre section it's not as simple as welding the holes and redrilling them further over.

You'd be better to cut out the entire centre section and weld in a flat piece from one upright to the other, but that wouldn't be exactly easy either.

May be easier to space winch back about 40mm with decent wall SHS and maybe cut a chunk out of the mount section of the bar where the motor would foul?

I'd have to be looking at one to think about it sorry.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:07 PM

Yea I reckon I'll stick with the 4.6. I want to watch the world burn but I'm lazy lol gotta be a good upgrade over the the magnum motor

Old 12-03-2017, 09:26 AM

It was mentioned but wasnt sure if done yet. Ill look into it next time I'm home.

The 80 Series bar is the same and they sell billet spacers to space the winch back. Get a packet of 12, the most useful things to have!
Coz we had one hell of a ride
- Adam Brand
Old 12-03-2017, 10:14 AM
..Hollywood..

Garage

Yeah but those spacers (ARB has world record price for four bits of flat bar with holes in them lol) are for GQ and 80 series and are to stop the XD9000 4.6 motor fouling on the bullbar, as the bars were designed to suit the 10/12000 warns, ARB stuffed up and forgot about the 9000 when the bars went in to production lol

They certainly won't help the 6hp fit, spacers only move it back, not sideways

Old 12-03-2017, 06:54 PM

What so with a 4.6 I gotta space it backwards?

Old 12-03-2017, 08:23 PM

Misread that, my bad. I expected it to be similar to the 80 Series bar, which I have fitted an XP to.

ARB being frustrating as always. Haha

Btw, the secret is to get a customer or mate to buy a pack of those billet spacers and you keep the rest. I've used them for absolutely everything! Wouldn't pay for them though ��
Coz we had one hell of a ride
- Adam Brand
Old 12-03-2017, 10:09 PM
..Hollywood..

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by arron View Post
What so with a 4.6 I gotta space it backwards?
Yeah mate, they aren't billet they're just flat bar, the kit is (or was a few years ago) four bits of flat, i.e. two each side, and longer bolts to suit.

I have some lying around, I'll find them and measure tomorrow if you like. Or you could use a short length of say 25x25 SHS with decent wall thickness, and/or put some crush tubes inside it.

It's not as complicated as I've probably made it sound mate.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:29 PM

Default Second set of planetary gears pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey View Post
Nice job!

I'd also like to point out that Warn had a series of winches prior to the XPs that had a second set of planetary gears at the motor. I have a HS9500 on the rear of the Patrol that will need a service soon. I'll add to here when I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leethal View Post
Sorry to grave dig an old thread but Heyhey did you ever end up stripping this winch? I've never seen this model with the second set of planetaries and I'm keen for a peek if you get around to pulling it apart and taking pics when you give it a birthday
Thanks for your write up Leethal! It helped me a great deal while I was rebuilding my Warn HS9500. I created an account here to show you all pics of the motor side planetary gears. Hope you find it insightful.

Planetary assembled

Planetary opened up:

Planetary opened up 2:

All Gears:

During assembly: (fyi, notice the grease. A military manual said to use a grease with 5% moly such as Aeroshell 17 when rebuilding warn winches, but then I found out that grease was discontinued. The shell website said it was replaced with Aeroshell 33ms, but then that was discontinued because it was often confused with Aeroshell 33. The current version is Aeroshell 64. It cost me $25USD for the tube.)

Final assembly:

Bonus pic

If anyone has any questions or wants to see the rebuild pics let me know.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeeper84 For This Useful Post:
heyhey (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 02:37 PM
Rogue

Thanked 1,967 Times in 1,405 Posts
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper84 View Post
Thanks for your write up Leethal! It helped me a great deal while I was rebuilding my Warn HS9500. I created an account here to show you all pics of the motor side planetary gears. Hope you find it insightful.

Planetary assembled

Planetary opened up:

Planetary opened up 2:

All Gears:

During assembly: (fyi, notice the grease. A military manual said to use a grease with 5% moly such as Aeroshell 17 when rebuilding warn winches, but then I found out that grease was discontinued. The shell website said it was replaced with Aeroshell 33ms, but then that was discontinued because it was often confused with Aeroshell 33. The current version is Aeroshell 64. It cost me $25USD for the tube.)

Final assembly:

Bonus pic

If anyone has any questions or wants to see the rebuild pics let me know.
Exactly the same as mine. I'm still trying to work out if I can modify a 6hp motor to suit

I used to have Patrols

Must be beer o'clock

Tags
winch rebuild