Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

MUST READ !!!!!!!!!!! Snatch Strap Test......

5K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Batt's 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Anyone running tigerz11? I don't think so after reading that comparison! lol

#5 ·
Two totally different ratings. EG: a 4.5T Bow Shackle is a hell of alot more stronger than a 8000 lb strap.... chalk and cheese.

#18 ·
Even though the results are not good for at least two of the brands, chopped does have a legitimate point and if a blanket is used, also with a soft strap joiner if two are being used, and people are standing away from the action the way they should be then the chances of injury are infinitesimal.

I would be more worried about connecting to weak points.

I'll link this in the General Patrol Discussion archives under general information, post #2, interesting stuff.

#9 ·
I've actually never done a snatch recovery but something tells me that if you get to the point where you destroy a new 8000 kg (not lbs) snatch strap during a recovery then you have perhaps not chosen the best recovery method for that particular situation.

#13 · (Edited)
Tiger did fail by a fair bit but good to see they reacted quickly and had the balls to do a recall I sent mine back a while ago which was unused and still wrapped in plastic I received a letter asking me to return it and they would replace it will a new one when available. I wonder if that was the case a several yrs ago when some of the big brands failed the same destruction test ARB had their 8,000kg , 11,000 kg straps fail also TJM Ox , Repco , Terrain Tamer, Supercheap , Megastrap all failed I don't remember but did any of them do a recall on their product ? I read that ARB extended their warranty a couple of months later "I wonder" if that covered the faulty straps that were already out there or just knee jerk reaction trying to gain some face back from an embarrassing situation ?

#14 ·
Tiger did fail by a fair bit but good to see they reacted quickly and had the balls to do a recall I sent mine back a while ago which was unused and still wrapped in plastic I received a letter asking me to return it and they would replace it will a new one when available. I wonder if that was the case a few yrs ago when some of the big brands failed the same destruction test ARB had their 8,000kg , 11,000 kg straps fail also TJM Ox , Repco , Terrain Tamer, Supercheap , Megastrap all failed I don't remember but did any of them do a recall on their product ? I read that ARB extended their warranty a couple of months later "I wonder" if that covered the faulty straps that were already out there or just knee jerk reaction trying to gain some face back from an embarrassing situation ?
They are money skimping *****s. Why the hell would they advertise such an important product at 8000kg and having it fail at half that ? Even their 11000kg one as well. ******s

#20 ·
Why is it worrying seeing shackles attached to shipping tie down points ? It's what they're designed for there is such a thing as anchoring shackles designed for securing loads etc it's far better than shock loading them with a snatch strap which is not what they're designed for.

#19 ·
Yep, I think a strap breaking would be more favorable than a recovery point. Just thinking of the bloke in the news the other day who got hit in the back of the head while sitting in the drivers seat getting snatched out.
That certainly doesn't excuse poor quality product, but it's how the company responds afterwards that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.