Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Winch solenoid location

7K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  skegbudley 
#1 ·
Just fitted the Runva winch to the Ute, which went well.
Now, where is the prefered location to put the solenoids?

Do they get mounted smack bang in the middle of the bullbar?
I'm guessing that higher than the water/mud level is the go.
I have room towards the rear of the engine compartment passenger side, but the cable run would be long.

cheers

Ralph

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply.

That sounds like a good spot.
Are the solenoids water proof?, do I have to be concerned about dunking the whole show?
From what I have seen, getting them wet should not be a problem.
If that is the case then mounting close to the winch seems feasible.

cheers

#7 ·
Thanks for the quick reply.

That sounds like a good spot.
Are the solenoids water proof?, do I have to be concerned about dunking the whole show?
From what I have seen, getting them wet should not be a problem.
If that is the case then mounting close to the winch seems feasible.

cheers
I have the Albight solenoid mounted in a box, up at the top of the grill. 7 years now, been underwater a few times and not aproblem because the box is well sealed with silicone sealer.

See if I can dig up a photo

This is with the original Warn solenoids in a box. I now have the albright in the same place but a smaller box.

#5 ·
dont let anyone tell u that the albrights are water proof, done 3 now on the race car. all full of water. i would rather a standard warn over a albright for water tightness. altho if u monut them high in the engine bar u shouldnt have a problem.

#8 ·
From a safety perspective, I mounted mine as close to the positive Batt terminal as possible. - that way youve only got a very short length of pretty meaty cable that has constant 12v power at high current with no protection,....

having said that, havent heard of too many times a winch cable has caused a fire as a result of a crash or worn through insulation...

Heli.

#9 ·
From a safety perspective, I mounted mine as close to the positive Batt terminal as possible. - that way youve only got a very short length of pretty meaty cable that has constant 12v power at high current with no protection,....

having said that, havent heard of too many times a winch cable has caused a fire as a result of a crash or worn through insulation...

Heli.
Good thinking.

I did mount mine as close as I could, but then I also have the second battery so I can link both for winching. Because of this I was worried about having a big cable with no fuse.

I have used battery terminals from Projecta which have one big maxi fuse and two midi fuses mounted in the terminal. This way my whole car is fused directly at the battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.