All your 2013 Y61 3 inch lift Questions Answered - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum, Photos, Directory

Go Back   Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum > General Technical Discussions > Suspension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-05-2013, 04:51 PM

Default All your 2013 Y61 3 inch lift Questions Answered

Hi all I have just recently completed a 3 inch lift on a 2013 Y61 Nissan Patrol and thought I would give you all my experience from the perspective of a consumer i.e. I did not undertake the work myself, not because I have no mechanical aptitude but because of lack of time and facilities.
The other thing I found was that there were a number of questions I needed answers to which no one was able to answer.
I will go through the questions I had and provide you the answers as I now have them based on my experience.
I will note that I bought this 4 x 4 brand new and after the lift still wanted the vehicle to drive and feel like a brand new 4 x 4 so my desired outcome was an improved on road vehicle with exceptional off road capabilities.

1) Q: What parts do I NEED to buy? A: Springs, Shocks, Rear brake lines, Brake Bias Bracket, Sway bar link pin extensions Castor kit, Drag ling, Steering Damper and Adjustable Upper Rear Control Arms. You also need a wheel alignment after the lift and to bleed the brakes after installing the brake lines. (get braided ones)

To further explain this parts list I went with EFS springs and shocks, the rear brake lines are required for the lift and you use the rear lines on the front, The brake bracket has meant that the computer controlled traction systems have not been affected, the castor correction bushes correct the steering angle (stop the vehicle feeling like it's floating all over the road) the sway bar link pin extensions are needed to stop body roll while on road, I installed the drag link because after the lift my steering wheel was off centre by 1/4 of a turn, I installed the adjustable upper rear control arms because I had rear driveshaft noise after the lift.

2) Q: Will installing a lift in the 2013 Y61 patrol affect the VDC that’s Vehicle Dynamic Control? A: No I have done 20 hours of off road thus far on gravel roads as well as more extreem trails and have had no issues.

3) Q: I have been told you get "complications" when you go over a 50mm lift, what the hell does that mean? A: This is the second time I have lifted a vehicle over 50mm, and both times I got driveshaft noise, the answer with the 2013 Y61 patrol is to install adjustable upper rear control arms to correct the driveshaft angle at both the rear diff and transfer case by matching the angel they connect at each end to be the same. The second thing you need to do which you don't need to do with a 50mm lift is install an adjustable drag link to return the steering wheel to centre.

4) Q: What size tyres can or should I install? A: I went from the standard tyres to a 33 inch Summit Mud Hog tyre 285mm in width, if you want to go wider in the tyre you will need to install adjustable pan hard rods. The wheels are slightly offset at the moment but it is not able to be seen with 285mm wide tyres. The 33 inch tyres did scrub on the mud guards at the front, I bent the existing mounts back slightly and they now do not scrub. The other thing to note is how much your speedo will be out with the 33inch tyres the answer is not much, when assessed against my GPS if you keep the needle on the 100k mark you are doing 102ks, in standard form the Nissan Patrol reads 100ks when you are actually doing 97ks.

5) Q: Spring rates? A: Don't fall into the trap of going to stiff, you need to realistically assess what you are doing as well as your accessories, I went for Heavy duty in the front as I have a steel bull bar and winch installed and I went for the medium in the back (350kg of constant load) simply because my vehicle is used for recreational use only and we don't travel light, we don't tow but I have 3 kids and like to carry plenty of water and gear.

6) So how does it handle? A: I went for the EFS short travel kit which means this is a traditional 3inch lift many people are going for a long travel kit where a 5 inch shock is used with a 75mm spring either a long travel spring (suspension stuff) or a spring guide and dislodging spring can be used. Both long travel kits (from what I have been told) can have some noise so this is why I did not select either.
For my needs this kit handles GREAT off road, gravel roads are smooth, like driving on a cloud, when you hit big bumps the kit handles it perfectly. On the more extreme trails this kit articulates like you would not believe, I had a 80 series Landcruiser with a 4 inch lift and it did not articulate anywhere near as well as this 3 inch lift on the patrol. I went 4 x 4 with a Pajero which had a 50mm lift on the weekend, on a rutted out section of trail he lifted a wheel approximately 500mm and my wheels remained on the ground.

7) Q: Yea all that off road ability sounds great but what's it really like on road where I do most of my driving, is my wife going to kill me when she takes the kids to school in this thing. A: There is definitely more body roll, in my case this is also attributed to the 33 inch mud tyres. If you don't install an adjustable drag link and adjustable rear control arms your wife WILL kill you. I believe you could take some more body roll out by installing drop boxes. I will not be doing that as my castor correction bushes, in my opinion, are working fine.

In conclusion

I hope some of this helps and answers some questions if you are thinking of lifting your brand new Nissan Patrol 3 inches. I must say for me this has been well worth the trouble as now I can go and enjoy the many 4 x 4 parks and tracks near me with other vehicles without worrying about body damage, the only problem is once you get off road you never want to come home.

Last edited by mad001; 31-05-2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammar Oldmate made me feel guilty.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to mad001 For This Useful Post:
bobryaner (23-12-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-05-2013, 05:24 PM

It's brake not break!

Nice write up though
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 31-05-2013, 05:46 PM

I have the 2.5 inch flexi coils with 30mm spacers and 5 inch shocks and with 2 deg caster bushes it still wonders at higher speeds! So i have ordered a set of buds customs drop boxes to see how they go. I am told these are the lowest profile drop box on the market and only made for 3-4" lifts. By the way, the flexi coils and monotube shocks ride really nice! Crap all over my OME 2" kit for road comfort.

CRD Club #104
Old 31-05-2013, 05:50 PM

Last edited by mad001; 31-05-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 31-05-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River rat View Post
I have the 2.5 inch flexi coils with 30mm spacers and 5 inch shocks and with 2 deg caster bushes it still wonders at higher speeds! So i have ordered a set of buds customs drop boxes to see how they go. I am told these are the lowest profile drop box on the market and only made for 3-4" lifts. By the way, the flexi coils and monotube shocks ride really nice! Crap all over my OME 2" kit for road comfort.

Do the springs make any noise off road?

I have found mine wanders a little more than when it was standard but is not at all excessive. I would expect that yours would be more supple at the top of the stroke i.e. handles small corrigations very well, but tends to wander on road due to the very progressive nature of the spring rate. Is this a fair assumption?
Old 31-05-2013, 07:05 PM

Good info. Thanks.
Old 16-12-2013, 05:17 PM

Old 23-12-2013, 07:39 PM

Hi mate great post I was looking for the answers you gave so hard to get straight answers was thinking of doing a lift on my 2012 y61 do you reckon the 3in lift is better all around than the 2in lift like yourself I do most of my driving on the tar and gravel roads but really want to get out in the bush beach and desert how much am I looking at paying for the 3in lift
Regards Martin
Wandoan QLD
Old 31-12-2013, 03:41 PM

I went for the 3 inch because it gives you that little bit extra over the 2 inch but doesn't look to high and attract attention like a 4 inch lift will. Using the EFS kit off road is awesome wether articulating over the big lumps and bumps in low range or hitting faster sections of trails with corrugations and rocks.

Cost would be around $2600 for a 3 inch lift where you could do a 2 inch lift for $2100 depending on who you use and the quality of the suspension you choose.

If you go to a 4 inch lift add another $500 to $600 for adjustable pan hard rods.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification